autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

91' NSX Black w/ SOFT paint

Well after a 1400 mile round trip from Orange Country to Thunderhill for two trackdays... THEN onto Sacramento for an emergency clutch repair and back to SF and to Sac again for multiple drive events this thing was getting rough... All said in done a fun trip but man, the car's paint took a beating with all the wipe downs and to top it off, a dirty water blade only made matters worse...

As you can see it got hammered, as did I once I put a real light on it! Jokes aside, I went at it with my typical approach of the following and wanted to know if there are some techniques to save some time? currently taking in the ballpark of 8hrs....

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax
    Speedy Prep towel and some clay lube
    Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax as QD
    Griots DA
    5 passes, speed 4 5.5-in. Griot's 10465 microfiber FAST cutting pad w/ 3M Perfect it ll Machine Polish 06064

5 passes, speed 4 6.5-in. Lake County Blue Light Polishing flat foam pad w/ 3M Perfect it ll Machine Polish 06064

6 passes, speed 5 6.5-in. Perfect-it DA Glazing Pad with w/ Miguirres 205 Mirror Glaze

1 pass, speed 1 Moonshine Liquid Carnuba wax w/ 3-in. foam applicator on DA speed 1

a lil before an after in a tight area w/ the 3-in. pads

not so fun when the power goes out!

Post microfiber FAST cutting pad w/ 3M Perfect it ll Machine Polish 06064

Post Lake County Blue Light Polishing flat foam pad w/ 3M Perfect it ll Machine Polish 06064

Post 205 Mirror Glaze

Post Wax

Currently, still requiring a lot of powder clean up from the 3M... something similar but powderless out there?

Lastly, does anyone have experience polishing glass? with these 3 inch (75mm) Velour Backed Felt Polishing Pad (pack of 5discs) EXTRA GRIP for polishing glass, plastic, metal, marble

2. Likes cullen2505, fly07sti, VISITOR, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 91' NSX Black w/ SOFT paint

Nice ride! Glad to hear you got to open it up at T Hill. Love that track. What are you wanting to do with your finish? Wax, sealant, coating?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, these things are a blast with some high temp pads and compounds! I'll have to link to some videos when I get aroud to uploading them...

I think overall my process works BUT is likely a bit dated, time-consuming, dirty and a PITA sometimes especially removing the compounds if they get a chance to dry... The wax is great for quick application an removal but doesn't seem to last very long, that or perhaps my washing method is causing more damage than I know... maybe a selant is in order?

Currently in an appartment so late night coin wash places are my jam. BUT I only bring soap, and two micro fiber mits, one for the top half and one for the bottom half of the car. Power wash, stwitch to soft water, pour soap on mits, wet and wipe down then soft water everything off and hop on the freeway to air dry it on the way home :0 a bit of micro fiber wipedown at home and thats it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always loved those NSXs. Such a great car! Someday, I will pick one up!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

get on it! they keep creeping up in price plus the OEM stuff goes up 20% per year!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! Looking really good!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Love the aesthetic features of the NSX will always be such a unique car. Great work by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app