autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Christmas Detail at the Coin-Op

Cleaned up the truck today, it was long overdue and it was filthy from all the wet weather we have had so far this winter.

Thought I would share my coin-op process of cleaning a really dirty vehicle in the winter months for those who don’t have a pressure washer (like me).

Take your bucket and wash mitts and fill it up with hot water. Grab your wheel brushes, car soap, wheel/tire cleaner and prepare your pump up sprayer with an APC mixture for prewashing. Since it had been a while, I also grabbed my clay mitt and Hydro Blue.

Head to the coin-op...

Pull in the wash bay and before starting the timer, prewash the entire dirty lower half of the vehicle with your APC mix. Let it dwell while your getting out your bucket and brushes.

Start the timer, for me I put in $20 and it gives me a solid hour.

Pick the foamy pressure rinse and thoroughly go over the entire vehicle. It’s amazing how much of the dirt and grime this step will remove before you ever touch the paint.

As you finish, prep your wash bucket using the pressure of the wand to produce tons of suds. Keeping the wand in one hand, foam a panel at a time and then wash with a mitt out of your soap bucket. Practice safe washing technique by hitting the grit guard after each panel and using one mitt for the upper half and one for the lower half.

After washing and still with wand in hand, go back over the entire vehicle with your clay mitt after foaming a panel at a time and dunking the clay mitt in your soap bucket.

Leave the soap on the paint while you refill your wash bucket and attack the tires, wheels and wheel wells. Hit each one with the foam pressure rinse and then use your wheel/tire cleaner and your brushes as usual.

Finally rinse the entire vehicle with the pressure rinse and then grab your Hydro Blue. Go around the vehicle spraying and rinsing a panel at a time as directed.

Entire process on a crew cab Silverado is almost exactly one hour.

Speed home to dry the majority of the water and pull into the garage and dry with a PFM towel and Bead Maker. Then dress the tires and trim, hit the wells with spray dressing, and then a final wipe down with Bead Maker and your done!

Anyone else without a pressure washer do something similar for those really nasty washes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Breese147 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Christmas Detail at the Coin-Op

Well it definitely works! Looks good!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Wow coin-ops are cheap where you live! Here it's 1$ per minute with a minimum of 3 minutes.

Also we are not allowed to use wash buckets, nor drying towels. They only allow the use of their equipement both for washing and drying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Wow coin-ops are cheap where you live! Here it's 1$ per minute with a minimum of 3 minutes.

Also we are not allowed to use wash buckets, nor drying towels. They only allow the use of their equipement both for washing and drying.
    Holy smokes, a dollar per minute?! That would get expensive quick.

Technically we are not supposed to bucket wash either but I’m just using the mitt instead of their foaming brush and keeping the meter running the whole time, so no one has ever said anything.

I do get some crazy looks and have had many people pull up behind me and wait for about 5 minutes until they realize I’m going to be there for a while lol!

6. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camaro2ssblack View Post
    Start the timer, for me I put in $20 and it gives me a solid hour.
    Do you have some "pause" setting at that coin-op? Or do you drop in a dollar here and there?

Anyone else without a pressure washer do something similar for those really nasty washes?
    Yes. I'll take a bin with the wass mitts, and one bucket filled with my car soap. Multiple mitt method.

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Whoa. One place I use, it's $1 for 3 minutes. But the place isn't exactly tidy.

I do get some crazy looks and have had many people pull up behind me and wait for about 5 minutes until they realize I’m going to be there for a while lol!
    Been there myself. I now go really early, or in the evening, so nobody is around.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=JustJesus;1610121]Do you have some "pause" setting at that coin-op? Or do you drop in a dollar here and there?

No pause setting. I just drop in four five dollar bills all at once and go at it. If I’m not claying I may just start with 3 and see where I get.

9. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice tutorial for those who don’t have access to pressure washer. I’ve done almost the same procedure for my girlfriends car when I go to visit. I only used the system for the initial and final rinse. Went at about 9pm and took about an hour and a half with the clay and application of Reload.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

On several occasions I’ve had the person next to me come over and ask me for advice or if they can borrow some “stuff for my rims” lol. Always glad to help of course.

12. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You mean you don’t have the bums that want to “help” you wash your vehicle for a donation? Or to sell you drugs? Places in my town are very shady and not well kept up. I occasionally use the vacuum when I’m too lazy to get mine out of the garage.

The “claying while you wash” is controversial. Some say it mars the paint and some say it does nothing. Personally I use lots of good clay lube to prevent marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol.... bought pressure washer to avoid doing this in winter but unfortunately going to wash much easier. I do rinseless after pressure washing. Pressure wash after and use detail spray and dry. When other people are around I avoid eye contact. 2 min for a dollar in Washington I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast