autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Tesla #1; A Very Nice Model 3 Gets Coated

The Tesla group has proven itself very cool guys and gals. Most are true car people with a leading driver in being the cutting edge tech that these cars pack in. I've met everyone from blue collar drivers to doctors and lawyers driving these cars and one thing they all seem to want is for their rides to shine.

Here's a Model 3 that came to me to help repair the lack of finish work a body shop provided. Unfortunately less than one month into ownership this car was struck in a parking lot on the rear passenger quarter panel.

The body shop approved and recommended by both Tesla and Nationwide did IMO the worse job I've seen in terms of paint work. It came in VERY noticeable and horrible. If it were mine, I would be pissed and have never taken it back. That said I think the outcome is now acceptable but still noticeable to those that can spot paint work and even a novice looking at it would see a difference in the orange peel.

Overall the car wasn't in horrible shape but the owner is a car wash guy and had been going through tunnel washes that did their share of swirl installation onto the finish. In discussions of what I could offer in the way of fixing the damage and his options for maintaining it going forward, he has since moved to completely touchless methods.

He decided to go with my Premium Enhancement Polish Service, added in some additional time for the bad body work fix and then topped the entire car with CarPro Cquartz UK v3.0.

Here's what I started and ended with. Thanks to my customer for all the trust and referrals since!

Process:

• Washed
    • Chemical decon with Iron X
    • Physical decon with Nano Mitt - Medium
    • Minor Tar Removal on Rocker Panels
    • Polished with Rupes Mille Polisher with Yellow Mille Pads and CarPro Essence Polish
    • Coated with CarPro Cquartz UK v3.0
    • Glass Coated with McKee's 37 Glass Coating
    • Topped with CarPro Reload
    • Tires & Trim Dressed

2018 Tesla Model 3:

As you can see here the body work was okay but the finish work.....horrible. Texture, tons of overspray on the entire rear including back glass, etc.

Finish wise, the tunnel washes did their part in adding in a nice Brillo/Scotch Pad looking gloss

My what a difference a good polish and of course pure black makes

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tesla #1; A Very Nice Model 3 Gets Coated

Gonna call you Mr. Tesla now! Another nice electric vehicle looking like it should!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Gonna call you Mr. Tesla now! Another nice electric vehicle looking like it should!
    Haha! Thanks. Maybe next time I'll be driving one too. Came very very close on this last go-round on a P90D for me but we decided to get a two-for-one and picked up my wife a new ride instead. I don't regret the decision...........too much
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work and very nice save!!! The owner should be thrilled! Did you get any paint readings? I'm curious as to the micron or mil spec... Elon needs to give more paint!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Nice work and very nice save!!! The owner should be thrilled! Did you get any paint readings? I'm curious as to the micron or mil spec... Elon needs to give more paint!
    Thanks. No paint readings on this one. With no plans to do more than just Essence Plus and given the car was brand new and all. I will on the next one I see though. Mazda has the thinnest readings I've ever come across. Most of the new 2018's I've done are under 3mils. Crazy stupid thin, especially on their roofs.

Post Thanks / Like

You’re an expert at making black vehicles look perfect.Tesla #1; A Very Nice Model 3 Gets CoatedTesla #1; A Very Nice Model 3 Gets Coated

7. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking awesome now!

Wonders how long the paint on Teslas would hold up with only car brush washes? The owner will thank you more than one time when he sees other Tesla with scratched and marred finishes. The reflections is beutieful!

/Tony

9. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Super Member Caleb@ImpeccableImage's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing work! What camera are you using? Your photos always look so good! And if you don't mind what tire dressing are you always using? Your tires and wheels always looking absolutely mint.

11. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb@ImpeccableImage View Post
    Amazing work! What camera are you using? Your photos always look so good! And if you don't mind what tire dressing are you always using? Your tires and wheels always looking absolutely mint.
    Thanks bud. Camera wise I will have to check. I have 3 or 4 I use and do recall on this one. I'm a photographer on the side but will say it wasn't any of my DSLR gear.

I am actually very casual about shooting my after shots and should spend more time staging them but I'm always in a hurry to get them picked up. My shots are Likely using a smaller Sony or Panasonic. Stay tuned. I'm out of town this week but can reply when I return if you dont dig ito the exif data sooner.

Dressing wise it's likely stoners brand. I dont use any coatings on tires.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk