autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SAAB-aru 9-2x Aero Interior & Headlights

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Except for the badges and the grill, the car is a Subaru WRX hatchback from the same era. It was built by Subaru in Japan. This is very similar to the "Toyobaru" twins we have today with the Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86 (a.k.a. Scion FRS)

The car looks amazing. Great job from end-to-end.
    You are correct sir this one however has the STI motor and turbocharger

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Except for the badges and the grill, the car is a Subaru WRX hatchback from the same era. It was built by Subaru in Japan. This is very similar to the "Toyobaru" twins we have today with the Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86 (a.k.a. Scion FRS)
    Darned GM...I didn't even realize they had a relationship with Subaru back then...only Isuzu. I'm old enough to remember when a Saab was a Saab...and not a rebadged GM car...or a Subaru. RIP Saab. Thanks for the explanation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Darned GM...I didn't even realize they had a relationship with Subaru back then...only Isuzu. I'm old enough to remember when a Saab was a Saab...and not a rebadged GM car...or a Subaru. RIP Saab. Thanks for the explanation.
    Saab is still alive. But they do airplanes know only. Which if I'm not wrong was what they started with. To bad the cars did not get build anymore. It was a popular brand here in Sweden. And that was given many people jobs. The old Saab modells had designs from airplanes to get as little as possible wind resistance. And the values in the wind tunnel testing is still in the top places to the least wind resistance. Saab 93 from 1956-1960 and Saab 96 from 1960-1980. Just some geek info LOL.

Great work and write up and pictures as always! The headlights came out perfect!

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Saab is still alive. But they do airplanes know only. Which if I'm not wrong was what they started with. To bad the cars did not get build anymore. It was a popular brand here in Sweden. And that was given many people jobs. The old Saab modells had designs from airplanes to get as little as possible wind resistance. And the values in the wind tunnel testing is still in the top places to the least wind resistance. Saab 93 from 1956-1960 and Saab 96 from 1960-1980. Just some geek info LOL.
    I was just bemoaning how GM blew up the car business, first buying half of it, then the rest, and then just turning it into another GM division vs. the unique company that it was. And I'm a GM guy. Of course they did the same with Saturn (which later shared some models with Saab IIRC), starting it as a unique division of GM that was completely unrelated to the others, and then just making it another nameplate with nothing unique about it.

While we're talking about Swedish car companies, I guess I shouldn't leave Ford out, how they kind of gutted Volvo and left them with no engines when they sold them off to that Chinese company, but at least they're still around. Well enough thread-jack.

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here. I still think a 1990 Saab 900 is one of the coolest cars. It was all downhill after GM took over.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

Great work and write up and pictures as always! The headlights came out perfect!

/Tony
    Technically the spirit lives on...kinda... the 9-3s are being built again under a different name, NEVS, Chinese ownership, and electric propusion. Saab factory in Trollhattan, Sweden, will start producing electric cars for Europe and China

I was just bemoaning how GM blew up the car business, first buying half of it, then the rest, and then just turning it into another GM division vs. the unique company that it was.
    I believe a Top Gear episode had a feature where they talked about how Saab fought their GM overlords in the later years. They hated the Opal and US GM patforms they were given to work with, so they made all sorts of structural and mechanical changes in secret and then revealed it all when it was too far into the production cycle for GM to tell them, "no". This made the cars much better, but also much more quirkey because they became a bit of a bodge job.

While we're talking about Swedish car companies, I guess I shouldn't leave Ford out, how they kind of gutted Volvo and left them with no engines when they sold them off to that Chinese company, but at least they're still around. Well enough thread-jack.
    You can add Jaguar, Aston Martin and Range Rover to that list as well. Pretty shocking to look at a Jag or Aston from that era and see cheap Ford Mondeo/Taurus switch gear in them. At least they didn't have roots too deep into Mazda to cause much harm.

OK...back on topic... Did I mention how great that car looks? It looks brand new!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12