autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Upgrading PC 7424

I’m a home weekend retailer strictly for myself. I invested in the OG PC 7424xp solely for the purpose multiple claims that any beginner can use it without burning the clear. With that statement in mind, what is the next level up I can trust that will get the job done quicker? I don’t get to detail nearly as much as I’d like and time is so precious for me. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upgrading PC 7424

Quote Originally Posted by gr8almty1 View Post
    I’m a home weekend retailer strictly for myself. I invested in the OG PC 7424xp solely for the purpose multiple claims that any beginner can use it without burning the clear. With that statement in mind, what is the next level up I can trust that will get the job done quicker? I don’t get to detail nearly as much as I’d like and time is so precious for me. Thanks!

Griot's GG6 with a lifetime warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say the next level up is the GG6. I'd say it's a sideways move is all. It's basically the same machine, same size, same basic correction capabilities.

The difference between the two machines isn't going to shave any considerable time. Your going to find the need to do the same necessary section passes, applying polishes, cleaning pads, changing pads, etc etc.

And the basic processes aren't really any different if you go to a Rupes, or even the Flex 3401. Same processes throughout. There's no way around those processes.

Now the Flex 3401 might shave some better time off a correction, as you're getting much more positive results, not fighting-struggling with a free wheeling machine that is prone to rotation stalling.

But then like the Junkman once said, "This bad boy (the Flex 3401) can and will burn through your paint clearcoat if you're not paying attention and are careful.".

There's nothing wrong with the PC7424XP, it does a fine job, is a well built machine. I might even go as far to say that it's an overall better built machine than the GG6. It just doesn't have the lifetime warrantee that the GG6 has.

A good selection of a variety of a few different size Backing Plates, and the accompanying Pads will help versatility, and make the PC better able to work certain areas. (same with the GG6)

Best way to shave considerable time, is the use of good durable protectants, and good washing habits. This can lessen the need of ever needing to pick up a polishing machine for correction purposes for much longer periods of time.

I first bought the PC7424XP, graduating from a monstrous and boat anchor heavy Milwaukee Rotary Polisher. My next machine I didn't wish to go bigger, but in fact the other way, smaller, to be able to better deal with smaller areas, A and B Pillars, Bumpers, License Plate Coves, Mirrors, you get the picture. So, I bought the little baby Griots 3" DA Polisher.

I wasn't so much concerned with time, but felt I'd rather more have on hand the right tools for the right job.

As I said earlier, an assortment of plates-pads for the PC would be more cost friendly, by not spending hundreds more for another DA Machine, such money could be spent on needed chemical products, and other detailing goods.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you want to move up from a PC you need to get a 15mm or 21mm DA. Lots of folks love their fixed rotation DA's, but I don't have any, as I use a standard rotary and a Flex 3" bad ass little rotary. The little dudes a worker!

My 21 shortens my cutting time, but is limited in usable areas of the project. If you do a project with lots of angles, there is a learning cycle to be able to make long throws work your way, or get out your PC to handle the angles. I use my Griots 6 for that, or my baby GG3, or even the little bad ass 3" Flex.

You do need to pay attention to heat with a long throw. Not so much for damaging paint, but damaging pads. Until I got used to using it, I did hollow out a few pads.

This "thing of ours" is a hoot. You get to buy all the new toys, all the new chemicals, and then try to find a way to justifying their need. Your wife does not need to know. Don't blow our cover story of NEEDING this.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a good amount of the newer, "better" toys, and consistently return to my 1st gen 7424.

What size plate are you using? What pads, and polishes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I wouldn't say the next level up is the GG6. I'd say it's a sideways move is all. It's basically the same machine, same size, same basic correction capabilities.

The difference between the two machines isn't going to shave any considerable time. Your going to find the need to do the same necessary section passes, applying polishes, cleaning pads, changing pads, etc etc.

And the basic processes aren't really any different if you go to a Rupes, or even the Flex 3401. Same processes throughout. There's no way around those processes.

Now the Flex 3401 might shave some better time off a correction, as you're getting much more positive results, not fighting-struggling with a free wheeling machine that is prone to rotation stalling.

But then like the Junkman once said, "This bad boy (the Flex 3401) can and will burn through your paint clearcoat if you're not paying attention and are careful.".

There's nothing wrong with the PC7424XP, it does a fine job, is a well built machine. I might even go as far to say that it's an overall better built machine than the GG6. It just doesn't have the lifetime warrantee that the GG6 has.

A good selection of a variety of a few different size Backing Plates, and the accompanying Pads will help versatility, and make the PC better able to work certain areas. (same with the GG6)

Best way to shave considerable time, is the use of good durable protectants, and good washing habits. This can lessen the need of ever needing to pick up a polishing machine for correction purposes for much longer periods of time.

I first bought the PC7424XP, graduating from a monstrous and boat anchor heavy Milwaukee Rotary Polisher. My next machine I didn't wish to go bigger, but in fact the other way, smaller, to be able to better deal with smaller areas, A and B Pillars, Bumpers, License Plate Coves, Mirrors, you get the picture. So, I bought the little baby Griots 3" DA Polisher.

I wasn't so much concerned with time, but felt I'd rather more have on hand the right tools for the right job.

As I said earlier, an assortment of plates-pads for the PC would be more cost friendly, by not spending hundreds more for another DA Machine, such money could be spent on needed chemical products, and other detailing goods.
    Also this.

Post Thanks / Like

I would consider a Rupes 15 a major upgrade. The 15 has more power and will get the job done faster. That said, the PC is a good machine that will make any vehicle shine. If you want more cut try some microfiber pads with Menzerma FG400 on that PC.

8. Thanks gr8almty1 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I never have used a Griots GG6 machine, so some of my earlier comments might not appear valid in other's eyes who own this machine.

The Griots is commonly known to have a bit more power than the PC, and the lifetime warrantee does offer good peace of mind. Many here have more than one machine, and if one can afford it, then no problem.

I myself didn't mention it earlier, but I also have a Griots Boss 15.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I have a good amount of the newer, "better" toys, and consistently return to my 1st gen 7424.

What size plate are you using? What pads, and polishes?
    I got all colors of LC foam 5” CCS pads.

I bought Menzerna line up. 1000(never used), 2500, 3000 top finish glaze, power lock sealant. I guess I’m not impressed or not using it right.

I actually used Poor Boy’s line up and liked it more.

It doesn’t help that I have a crew cab truck with a full size bed. A lottttt if paint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast