autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upgrading PC 7424

Next step up is a rotary. Educate yourself on the use of a rotary, use common sense, you won't go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gr8almty1 View Post
    I got all colors of LC foam 5” CCS pads.

I bought Menzerna line up. 1000(never used), 2500, 3000 top finish glaze, power lock sealant. I guess I’m not impressed or not using it right.

I actually used Poor Boy’s line up and liked it more.

It doesn’t help that I have a crew cab truck with a full size bed. A lottttt if paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, the 5" plate is the right plate for that tool. The 6" on any of the standard 8mm tools "drive" weird. They tend to vibrate a lot.

Yeah, a big truck. I might consider a Flex 3401 for the sole reason that it comfortably spins any type of 6.5" pad to cover more surface area. And that's only if I were going to detail a lot of trucks for money. For my own purposes I'd keep the PC, and maybe some different pads. I do like the CCS, but not a lot of the foams. They recently overhauled the line, and I really like the green and blue foams.

As far as the Menzerna..

From what I understand, the 1000, and 3000 are sort of "old tech". I've never used them though, that's just what I understand. I do really like the 2500, and use it a lot.

No rule that says you can't go back to poorboys. Nothing wrong with that at all. Gotta use what ya like.

Post Thanks / Like

I was in that same situation and chose a Boss G15 and put a 3" backing plate on my 7424XP. Those 2 in combination work really well and I avoid the hassle of switching backing plates to detail smaller areas. I didn't feel like a I needed forced rotation since I only do my own cars and they're well taken care of so big correction is not necessary.
    Bruno Soares

4. Likes gr8almty1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would get a Flex 3401. While the GG6 is definitely more powerful than the PC it is just an upgrade on the same style machine. The 3401 you can work FAST and SAFELY around the vehicle. But keep in mind that polishing is an art form and not a grinding process. So no matter what machine you use, you are going to need to take you time and work properly.
    Jim

6. Thanks gr8almty1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The PC can get about any job done, it's more about technique. However, the PC will beat you to death with vibration and it gets hot and melts pads.

The Flex 3401 and the Makita PO5000C are the two best tools I own.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    The PC can get about any job done, it's more about technique. However, the PC will beat you to death with vibration and it gets hot and melts pads.

The Flex 3401 and the Makita PO5000C are the two best tools I own.
    You find the PC to vibrate that bad and overheat?

I've used mine for 7-8 hours straight and have never experienced anything close to this.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gr8almty1 View Post

It doesn’t help that I have a crew cab truck with a full size bed. A lottttt if paint

I went straight to the Flex 3401 from the 7424.
    I wanted the direct drive no stalling machine. It didn't take long to get the hang of it.

I use power tools all day long so I wanted a tool that I didn't have to baby.

LC Force pads and Menzerna 400,3500 and 3800 are my go to products right now.

11. Thanks gr8almty1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you like the free spinning DA and you are haveing a great technique to get the pad spinning. Then I would go with either the Rupes 21mm mkII longthrow polisher or Griots Garage BOSS 21mm longthrow polisher.

If you haveing problems with getting the pad spinning or don't want to hassle with that. A direct driven orbital polisher would be an option to upgrade to. Rupes Mille or Makita po5000c or Flex 3401vrg polishers is what to chose from. And then you have the rotary polisher also. Which now days when you slow down the rotary speed is quite safe to polish with.

If you like the smaller body style like your PC polisher. And feel like you want more power from the polisher. The GG6 is a great choice to go with. But you also have the Rupes Duetto polisher. Which has the same body style and a throw of 12mm.

So think about what you think will suit you. And what you want from the polisher. Then see which polisher you are going to invest in. Or if you are fine with what you have already.

/Tony

13. Thanks gr8almty1 thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12