autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

37k mile Lexus NX dressed in black

So a fellow member of a racing forum I'm on brought his wife's lease over for a final refresh and clean up inside and out prior to turning it early next year. Overall it wasn't bad given it's mileage so kuddo's to him for keeping it nice.

It had light swirls all over it but again, light and worthy of a good polish. The main negative was the need to wet sand out about 8-10 areas on the hood and roof where tree-sap had etched into the clear coat. Not a big deal and something I put in as a free upgrade to the basic clean and protect package he purchased.

A Second upgrade was I ran two cycles from an Ozone Machine through it after cleaning up the interior to remove a light smoke odor. Outside looking new on the exterior, his wife made my day when she noted that it now smells new inside too

Mother nature continued to pour down rain but the detail moved on. Killed any real good photo shots but here are a few of the end result. Thanks again to him for trusting in my work and I look forward to tackling his 3 other rides soon. In fact we are already on the books to do his HUGE F350 Deasil Extended cab long-bed and his 2014, Mustang that laid down over 1,100hp thanks to a wee-bit of boost from Whipple. Hopefully the weather cooperates as his first truck is too tall to even fit in my suburban community sized garage

This F-Sport model made it to the final round when my wife was shopping for a small SUV. Looks great in black I think!

Paint cleaned up nicely. Tons of deposits stuck to the side panels made it feel like it had 5-O'Clock Shadow

Paint came out great though. Here's the hood after sanding and polishing

Wheels, Tires and Trim dressed and ready to go

Rain didn't matter, I had to get a shot outside the garage

Ozone Machine at work

A peak inside

Like new Inside and Out

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Likes Jon TDS, SWETM, cullen2505, Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 37k mile Lexus NX dressed in black

Looks great! FYI Lexus uses a self healing paint. It is more or less an additional layer of clear that is soft enough to level itself out over time when it gets hot in the sun. The owners manual says you're not supposed to use anything abrasive on it. You probably sanded it off. It don't think there are any ill effects of taking it off (I believe it wears off after 6-8 years anyways) and it doesn't even work that good in the first place but just a heads up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 986DTM View Post
    Looks great! FYI Lexus uses a self healing paint. It is more or less an additional layer of clear that is soft enough to level itself out over time when it gets hot in the sun. The owners manual says you're not supposed to use anything abrasive on it. You probably sanded it off. It don't think there are any ill effects of taking it off (I believe it wears off after 6-8 years anyways) and it doesn't even work that good in the first place but just a heads up.
    A light polish is fine on self healing clear coats. It's likely the same type of clear that Nissan has been using on the GTR's and is on my Infiniti. The hood, there was no choice. Clear was compromised and needed sanded. I went back over the deeper RIDS with a heat gun and helped them along but some were through the healing layer. If it's just a "coating" vs an actual clear coat like Nissan's then it was already gone as the vehicle had swirls. IMO it's likely a coating layer vs what Nissan uses which is actually a multi-layer clear.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work on a nice looking SUV!!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology