autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

2009 M3 Engine Detail

So a referral came to me after seeing a few details I've done while attending cars and coffee. He asked that I simply detail his engine bay to help with the sale of his vehicle. Car is a 2009 with 90k+ on the clock and regularly tracked.

Keeping it simple with a few before and after pics:

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Likes SWETM, JKDesign, RaydiantDetail liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2009 M3 Engine Detail

Well that will help the sale a lot! Great before/after.
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

4. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work and it's always does alot when you look at a clean car you are interesting to buy.

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Even if you charged him $100-150.00 it was money well spent. That looks so much better than before.

What products did you use? How long did it take you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    Even if you charged him $100-150.00 it was money well spent. That looks so much better than before.

What products did you use? How long did it take you?
    Spot on. $125 for this one as it wasn't bad.

Super Clean Degreaser mixed 50/50 in a spray bottle. It's super strong stuff and peels off the grime. Handful of low quality Wally World MF Rags. I rinse with Rinseless wash in a spray bottle then blast the muck downward and out with a leaf blower.

Once done I use Griot's engine Detail Dressing. I actually like Adams In and Out better but I ran out and forgot to order more so I picked up the Griot's at a local detail store for just a couple bucks more per can but it goes farther too. I'll use up the 2.5+ cans I have left. It goes on super thin and dries quick.

From start to finish including my silly washing of the hood fenders and front wheels to remove any overspray/mess, 2hrs on the nose.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

8. Thanks LEDetailing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Great work and it's always does alot when you look at a clean car you are interesting to buy.

/Tony
    Agree.

This one is a rough car. It's 9yrs old, 90k+ on the ODO and is set up as a track car. Rides great, sounds awesome but unless the buyer is planning on racing it, they will likely run from such a vehicle. The suspension, wheels, rubber and brakes are $6,500 so one could re-coupe some costs selling those and even the current owner should IMO revert them back to stock.

The other really bad thing going for it is the MAACO paint job. Somewhere early in its life it was keyed badly and whoever sprayed it did a poor job. It needs a complete re-paint IMO. I measured what's on there and it's like 10-12mils thick all the way around. They basically sanded it lightly and then resprayed it quickly. The front bumper is aftermarket but many areas of the paint are delaminated clear as it lived the past 4yrs wrapped in silver and when it was removed it pulled the poor paint job off. Inside as it sits it's a 9/10 though.

We'll see. The current owner still has fun with it but wants something else. My guess is there's another reason but I'll never know.

10. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those can be some beasts on the track. With a well tuned handling you get a pretty fast corner taking car. No wonder it was so bad in the engine area with grime. Racetracks has a lot of road grime that's is swirled up from the road and sucked in there. So impresive results you got cleaning it.

Wonders how it would be if he rewraped the paint?
    The prices of a quality paint job is high here in Sweden. And accually not to bad of work either. It's seems to be a big difference to what you have in the US. Generally speaking of course. The standard paint work and insurance jobs is great quality work. Then you have some hacks out there too. But not so many you could think. But a quality full wrap job in the color of choice is 1/5 of a great paint job. So for the DD with trashed paint it's a great choice to full wrap them I think. Many business vehicals with their logos is often full wraped not days. And that saves the paint on them many times. Then the hassle to take off those logo signs that left an untouched paint when removed is also adding when they sell them. And the there is some pretty cool and nice wraped vehicals with the printed wrap. Think a full wrap in the shape of a racecar copy with all they have on them with numbers and sponsors and such could be cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Those can be some beasts on the track. With a well tuned handling you get a pretty fast corner taking car. No wonder it was so bad in the engine area with grime. Racetracks has a lot of road grime that's is swirled up from the road and sucked in there. So impresive results you got cleaning it.

Wonders how it would be if he rewraped the paint?
    The prices of a quality paint job is high here in Sweden. And accually not to bad of work either. It's seems to be a big difference to what you have in the US. Generally speaking of course. The standard paint work and insurance jobs is great quality work. Then you have some hacks out there too. But not so many you could think. But a quality full wrap job in the color of choice is 1/5 of a great paint job. So for the DD with trashed paint it's a great choice to full wrap them I think. Many business vehicals with their logos is often full wraped not days. And that saves the paint on them many times. Then the hassle to take off those logo signs that left an untouched paint when removed is also adding when they sell them. And the there is some pretty cool and nice wraped vehicals with the printed wrap. Think a full wrap in the shape of a racecar copy with all they have on them with numbers and sponsors and such could be cool.
    I think the owner is willing to simply sell it for less vs trying to fix the finish. Downside to wraps is how they hold up here in Ohio due to temps in upper 90's through winter lows, etc. They tend to last 3-5 years and people think you're trying to hide things with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    ... We'll see. The current owner still has fun with it but wants something else. My guess is there's another reason but I'll never know.
    Have they done rod bearings yet? At that mileage it’s a ticking time bomb in my experience if they haven’t. With lots of track use it could be due for round 2...