autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2016 Ford F-250 King Ranch

Take it thru a car wash all you want....

This King Ranch has only been thru automatic car washes since it was brand new. It went thru at least two or three times per week, but over the last few months, has only seen one or two washes. And since automatic interior washes aren't a thing yet, the interior of the truck was in pretty rough shape as well. I tackled this truck over the course of 2 days. The first day consisted of the decontamination wash, and interior detail. The second day consisted of the exterior detail, including paint correction, trim restoration, chrome polishing, and protecting the paint.

Decon Wash

The wheels and tires were cleaned using various brushes by hand, and rinsed using a 1600 psi electric pressure washer. The wheels were cleaned with McKees 37 Foaming Wheel Cleaner. Each tire was scrubbed twice with McKees 37 Tire and Rubber Rejuvenator. One wheel had what appeared to be rust above the painted surface, and after a small test spot, decided to leave this wheel alone, as the risk far outweighed the reward.
    The front fender wells had a felt lining, and took a good 10 minutes each to fully rinse out all of the dirt, as I guess there's no such thing yet as an automatic fender well washer either.

Now to the wash......

As you can see, I was dealing with a fairly dirty truck. I decided it would be best to perform a presoak using a non ph neutral soap, mixed with about 2oz of McKees 37 Hi-Intensity APC in my foam cannon. After letting it dwell for about 3 or 4 minutes, I rinsed off the soap, then performed a 2 bucket wash with Megs Hyper Wash. While the 2BM was unnecessary for a truck in such condition, i prefer to work clean whenever possible.

After the wash, I clayed the vehicle, and while doing so, noticed some tar on the panels behind each wheel. So, as I went around the truck with the clay bar, I sprayed Tarminator on any affected areas and agitated with a bug sponge, then rinsed with my pressure washer. That was it for the day on the exterior.

Don't you just love a dirty interior?

Absolutely not! Like with any interior, this could have been much worse. But it was still sad to see nonetheless....

The interior was pretty straight forward. All of the plastic/vinyl was cleaned with Megs APC and various brushes. The leather seats were cleaned with Megs Leather Cleaner, along with my new favorite tool, the leather&vinyl scrub brush(yellow handle). It made cleaning quick and VERY easy. The floor mats protected the carpet well enough that a simple brush and vacuum cleaned it up nicely. The floor mats themselves were scrubbed with Hi-Intensity APC, rinsed, then protected with the WeatherTech protectant.

If there is one process I wish I would have done differently, it would have been to clean the door jambs during the wash process, so I could easily rinse the dirt and grime away, rather than trying to wipe everything up with a towel. Oh well! We live and learn right?

After everything was clean, all of the plastic/vinyl was protected with Pinnacle Vinyl/Rubber Cleaner&Conditioner. The leather was protected with McKees 37 Leather Guard UV50. Day 1... OVER

New Dawn, New Day

Being the truck was just a wee bit too tall(or way too tall) to fit inside the garage, it sat outside all night. As I mentioned earlier, I like to work clean. So, I started off the morning with using McKees Waterless Wash on the Go to give me a clean slate before polishing the paint. The process was going to be a 2-step correction. I was having difficulty getting any decent pictures for my test spot, which was the tailgate being it seemed to be the worst area on the truck. Therefore, I used the hood and natural sunlight later in the detail to take pictures.

For my original test spot, I used an orange GG Boss cutting pad with Correcting Cream, using my GG6. There was a big improvement, but it still wasn't enough to get rid of all the swirls and scratches. It's a shame, I was really looking forward to smelling the scent of the Correcting cream all day. So from there I stepped it up and went to a combo that lives up to every bit of its name. The white GG Fast Correcting pad, paired with Fast Correcting Cream. BINGO! It's correction ability was well over 90% on the entire truck. Just a few RIDS here and there. For the smaller areas, I used my PC with a 3" backing plate and 3" Lake Country Orange Flat pad. I just worked the areas slower to get the same results.

After the paint correction, I went through and did the final touch ups. The chrome areas were polished using McKees 37 FAST Metal Polish. The trim was restored using McKees 37 Trim Restorer. Before sealing the paint, I wiped down the entire truck with N-914 @ paint prep ratio, due to a light rain that came down as I was finishing up polishing the very last panel. It also ensured a clean surface for the sealant. I used McKees 37 Hi Def Paint Sealant, and applied it by HAND. Once again, working clean, I wore microfiber gloves for both the application and removal of the sealant.

After applying the sealant, I cleaned both the exterior and interior glass with Mothers ReVision Glass+Surface Cleaner. The tires were then dressed with Blackfire AIO Trim and Tire Protectant(Bring this back please ....). The sealant was then easily wiped off, and I could officially call it DUN.

FINAL RESULTS...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 Ford F-250 King Ranch

You put the time in on that beast for sure!.....looks awesome!!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work! I can see why you want that dressing back!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

An excellent job on that big rig!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work and write up and pictures! You got cleaned up amazing!

I don't have testing doing it myself yet. But many here in Sweden uses the PW to clean the door jambs with. If you find the right angle not much water gets inside the vehical. Use the 15 angle nozzle tip to have the control. This is with doors wide opened. You can also open the doors and close them to the first click. So they don't is really closed but the seals still works to hold the water out. Then you get a little to clean up afterwards. I like useing Ech2o in 1:10 waterless wash dilution. It's shines them up great and has a great cleaning ability too. Use different brushes and mf towels with it. It takes care of quite neglected door jambs. Was surprised at how well it worked. The rubber seals was also cleaned well with the Ech2o and left nice looking. I like to apply 303 Rubber Seal to the rubber seals to get them working great. Just some few tips and not för the fainted hearted LOL.

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think the interior looked too bad as Superduty trucks usually get worked to death. Then I looked at the after pictures and it shows just how much work went into getting it that nice. I guarantee the interior wasn't that nice the day they bought it.

The paint and trim look new. I think I may try the McKees Hi Def Paint Sealant, it looks super slick.

This was a massive makeover. A+ for sure. What did the owner think?
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

9. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Awesome work and write up and pictures! You got cleaned up amazing!

I don't have testing doing it myself yet. But many here in Sweden uses the PW to clean the door jambs with. If you find the right angle not much water gets inside the vehical. Use the 15 angle nozzle tip to have the control. This is with doors wide opened. You can also open the doors and close them to the first click. So they don't is really closed but the seals still works to hold the water out. Then you get a little to clean up afterwards. I like useing Ech2o in 1:10 waterless wash dilution. It's shines them up great and has a great cleaning ability too. Use different brushes and mf towels with it. It takes care of quite neglected door jambs. Was surprised at how well it worked. The rubber seals was also cleaned well with the Ech2o and left nice looking. I like to apply 303 Rubber Seal to the rubber seals to get them working great. Just some few tips and not för the fainted hearted LOL.

/Tony
    Thank you! Thank you for the feedback. I haven't used a pressure washer yet. My usual approach to really bad jambs(obviously not in this case)is to scrub the jambs with a speed master brush, then rinse with a garden hose nozzle. I'll have to get a 15 degree nozzle for my PW and try that though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDGolden View Post
    I didn't think the interior looked too bad as Superduty trucks usually get worked to death. Then I looked at the after pictures and it shows just how much work went into getting it that nice. I guarantee the interior wasn't that nice the day they bought it.

The paint and trim look new. I think I may try the McKees Hi Def Paint Sealant, it looks super slick.

This was a massive makeover. A+ for sure. What did the owner think?
    Thank you! I agree. The interior could have been worse. Ive cleaned several super duty work trucks that see job sites everyday. They are my least favorite interior to work on, as the amount of unnecessary cracks and crevices is ridiculous lol.

The owner loved it. It shouldn't be going thru any automatic car washes anymore which is great news. He also has another truck for me to detail if/when time allows. So we'll see!

Post Thanks / Like

The textured plastics in there really collect dust. A brush is definitely a must have.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast