autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: In-Progress: 1986 Porsche 951 (Guards Red)

Roof is coming out well for what it's been through!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I simply can't believe that "I" am able to make such a change on this car. I am not a professional, I don't have the best tools and I don't have any professional training.
    The forum member Dog Lover has a great tag-line, something to the affect; The Titanic was built by professionals and The Arc was built by a hobbyist.. Your doing an amazing job!!

The roof looks great!

I know you've been using UC up until this point, you stated you were going to go over the car one more time with UC? IMO, I would use 205. The polishing oils in 205 are amazing, and Porche's love 205!

Can't wait to see this in daylight!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know, this update seems like cheating... But I needed an easy day today. Decided to clean the rear glass. Wiped it down and washed it. It still felt like sandpaper! Went over it with the clay bar and it worked like a charm. Slick and smooth! Then I did a pass with the Ultimate Compound to get any old water spots off, etc... WOW. It's 30+ year old glass, but what a difference. I'll do a final cleaning once I get further along. I'm open for suggestions for sealers. I'd love it to be something I can use on the whole car. At the moment, I've been considering: Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax, Klasse high gloss sealant, or M21. I don't know if any of those is better than another for single stage paints. Opinions welcome!

Click the pics to see them in full size/resolution

Before:

After!

4. Likes PaulMys, SWETM, Blushingmule, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread and nice work. I've always had a soft spot for those, my dad had one same year and color. Still a great looking car today.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Huge difference with clean glass!!!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This project is fantastic. I cannot wait to see how it ends up once completed.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another weekend update:

It's been a few days since I've posted. Lots of life happening at the moment. But I've also tried to stop posting every little detail/step. :-) Today's update is showing the progression on the driver's side. I was able to clean/clay the remainder of the rear quarter panel, rocker panel, and driver's door. The quarter panel stone protection was removed (took me a whole evening) and I compounded the rear quarter glass. The front fender is a lost cause (will explain later, failing clearcoat bad respray, etc...). So when I'm done with the parts I've prepped, this side is done! In the 1st pic, you can see I've completed the cut pass on the rear quarter panel and the M7 coats on the front door/mirror/rocker. It's amazing what flaws flat paint will hide. You can see the large chip in the rocker, there are multiple deep scratches, and a hideous mark where the car was hit with an egg in the past! (Last pic of the bunch) I'll probably try some touch-up and the squeegee method on that one in the future. I also found a large dent in the rocker panel. The 2nd pic is a different angle of the finished quarter panel. It came out pretty nice considering the hassle it was to remove that original stone guard. I'll try and compound the driver's door tomorrow, but it's going to take a while with that mirror and the door edge. Slow, but steady progress is being made! Also, if anyone out there has a driver's fender in original red paint (or knows a source for one), I'm starting to look now! Thanks!

Click the pics to see them in full size/resolution

Finished the ultimate compound on the quarter panel

Different view.. Look ma, no more stone guard!

A great find.. Egg damage!

9. Likes SWETM, Blushingmule, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is amazing what can be 'hidden'. Progress is really coming along nicely, even with your 'set backs' that you are discovering. Keep up the great work!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Your saving an oldie but goodie. It’s amazing what a few good products and your patience have been able to achieve. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Post Thanks / Like

Just read through this thread. Amazing work man. Keep up the progress and I’m sure I speak for most when I say, I enjoy the details on every step. As a newby myself and detailing not being my job, I enjoy the tips and tricks for my projects as well!! Keep up the great work. Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast