autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: In-Progress: 1986 Porsche 951 (Guards Red)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I’ve seen areas like that above in the body seams. I own/Owned classic cars so I’m kinda familiar with this issue. Usually it’s years of road film build up. I have had luck with products like prep-sol. If not, a compound worked wet with some make shift tool and a terry cloth may work. But work with caution.
    I bought a 2nd set of wheels for my car that had something like this inside the barrels. It seemed to be impervious to anything (polish or tar remover). I suspect this is aged layers of tar and other oil based grime.

They wheels were clear-coated so I eventually took 4/0 steel wool and solvent to them to remove it, after trying everything else including sandpaper. I of course had to follow up with sanding and polishing. They were clear-coated and wheels, not the front of a car, so much lower risk. Not recommended here.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Huge change on that front end! It's amazing isn't it?!!

Dr O: thanks for that good info!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's on to the passenger's fender. An extra evening was spent removing the damaged rock-protection film behind the wheel. Then, the same multi-step process was applied like I've done in the past. I found a few deep scratches and learned that I still need to learn the proper way to deal with a concave area on a panel! However, it's coming along nicely. I only really have 1.5 panels left! Then it's the whole process again.. Ugh! As an update to the "dark stain" issues I've had; I tried "prep-kleen" and it didn't touch it. I have no clue what to try next. I have mineral spirits and denatured alcohol, but I'm afraid to use them. Also, on the driver's fender issue: I found one in California, but the seller is unwilling to ship. Anyone feel like picking it up and shipping it for me? :-)

On to the pics.

Click the pics to see them in full size/resolution

Before, notice the ugly rock protection.

After, all gone!

Before

After

4. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry it's been a while... There's been progress, just not a lot! Today's update is a duplicate of one from a couple of weeks ago. The lower rocker panel trim was damaged by someone not raising the car properly on a lift. To repair this, I had to pull the trim off, release the bend using a heat gun, and re-bend the metal bracketry. Then, a couple of reinstalls (to get it right) and it's back to normal! That should be the last of that type of job in this post hopefully. :-)

Quite bent "before"

Much better "after" (even the fender is a better color)

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Much better! Keep this train a rolling!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Loving this thread.....

Nice work, man!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Soooo.. it's been a while! I'm still here and still working on the car. Life gets in the way sometimes though. I'm still looking for an original red fender if anyone knows of a source, please PM me. I'm also looking for suggestions for a LSP. My goal would be to finish out the cut process and then do the car in panels: - polish, LSP, next panel - polish, LSP, etc... this way no polished panel needs to sit unprotected with my SLOW process. Suggestions are welcome!

Today's work:

Passenger's side door + mirror. I've been treating it the M7 for a while and finally got around to compounding it out tonight. It made a nice change. :-) Sadly, it revealed a dent in the door that I didn't even see before because the paint was so flat. I may be able to do something with it though in the future, so I'm not too worried.

Before:

After:

1 more panel and it should be all RED again! YAY!

11. Likes SWETM, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work! And soon you are done with the cutting step corrected. The feel of the work and transformation you have accomplished I can imagine is a great feeling to have.

For the LSP I like the looks of Polish Angel products. It's a pricey brand but a little goes a long way with their products. If you are looking for a great wax I think Collinite 915 is a great looking one with a great longevity from it too. I like to go for the looks rather than the most economical ones. Not to say some economical looks good too. But I want great or awesome looking lol. It's not much that keeps them apart but that little extra gloss makes me smile

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! McKee’s hi def paint sealant, Wolfgang Fuzion, hmmmm...
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

14. Thanks Slowcorrado thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the day has come.... Today's update is the LAST panel to actually get a compound cut!

It took me a few evenings longer than I expected because I had to remove the large, old, dried-out paint protection film in front of the rear wheel. With that gone though it was just the normal steps I've outlined before. Before long, the last panel on the car was RED! YAY. :-) Now I really need to decide on the LSP so I can order it. Then; start actually polishing some panels and getting final protection on them.

Before:

After: I'm still not happy that the previous owner burned-through the edges of the gas door.... but it's such an overall improvement!

A poorly lit shot of the completed passenger's side. I am excited to get this done, out in the sun and some real "after" shots.

16. Likes Finick, SWETM, LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast