autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: In-Progress: 1986 Porsche 951 (Guards Red)

Weekend update: I was out of town, but got a chance to go a little bit further. I had left the M7 on the left side of the back for a couple days and had applied it at least 3 times. Now it was time for the UC. This area has many more complex shapes, hollows, stickers (PORSCHE), etc..., so it is testing my skill limits. I have particular trouble getting into recessed corners (by hand, no chance with the DA) and into concave places (like just below the taillights). I can clearly see that I need more correction there, but I'm not sure how to do it! (suggestions welcome!) You can see in the pic though that it looks MUCH better at this point. The aluminum bumper that was so oxidized it was white in the middle cleaned up and now shines nicely. My only other real question is on the bumper caps. As you can see in the 2nd picture the paint has faded to an orange color. This picture is after 3 coats of the M7 and a pass with the UC. The part of the cap that was covered over the years looks perfect, but the rest isn't really even shiny. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm certainly scared to hit it harder.

Click the pics to see them in full size/resolution

Improvement! Check out the bumper, it actually came out great!

Color and gloss problem: Any hints?

I'm going to start disassembly of the passenger's side rear and complete the same process there. Updates to follow.

2. Likes JKDesign, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work and write up and pictures!

This is very fun to follow your progress.

The corner plastic part could be painted with another kind of primer paint and paint. Since it's plastic and more flexible from heat and cold and to withstand the plastic to bend or how to describe it. The downside is that the paint used there is often more prone to fade the pigment in the color of the paint than the paint on the car.
    I don't know any DIY solution to this problem. And plastic is not so easy to repaint as they use a special kind of paint on there. A bodyshop that can do a color match when you are done with the correction. Would be my best bet.
    A thought to DIY it some. Could be to use a LSP with a high darkening effect from it. So it turns down that bright orange/red color some. This is just a thought though.

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Great article, great write-up and you're doing an amazing job with before and after photo's. For sure you will have a build-book to display with the vehicle.
    I think you're on the track, with the right products. More so, I think you're doing the right thing by taking your time and not rushing this. I would say stay the course, and continue at the pace you're going. You have no deadlines, you are the customer and like you said the car sat for 10 years anyway.

I'm with Swetm (Tony) on the side bumper trim pieces. Polish them as best as possible, worse case, you have to pull them off and bring them to a body shop for respray. But I think you're spot-on with your efforts and approach.

As far as those rear chip-guards, looks like it was once some form of clear-bra that dried up and cracked? On normal clear-coat I'd suggest a little heat, and some goo-be-gone and a plastic razor to see about getting it off.. But, you have 30+ yr old single stage, thus you might try some steam. Either way, if it were my car, I would consult with few body shops (not just one -as opinions will vary) as to how to remove that without damaging the paint underneath.

Wondering if Mike has looked at this thread yet... I'm sure he'll chime in soon!

Post Thanks / Like

For those hard to reach areas: rupes iBrid!!!

Rear bumper, take some paint readings and see what you've got. If you are comfortable with the 'thickness' hit it once more and see how it turns out. I agree with the thought of the bumpers being faded/different type of elastomers added to the paint on plastic parts...

Keep us up to date!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for everyone's responses! LSNAutoDetailing, this post is because you reminded me to document the stone guard removal. :-)

On to today's update! I realized while disassembling and preparing the rear and passenger's side that I never showed how I removed the rear arch stone protection. The key to this was MILD heat with a good plastic scraper. In the pics below you'll see the process. I used my wife's strangely shaped hair dryer to heat the area while simultaneously using the plastic scraper to peel the old broken film off. It was best to take it in small strips instead of all at once. In my case, the film came off as basically a brownish "glitter". You're left with an adhesive area shaped exactly the same as the original sticker. I soaked that with standard "goo gone" and let it sit for about 2 minutes. Then, used the plastic scraper to peel sections of the adhesive off. Once you've gone over it once, reapply the goo gone and repeat until 95% of the adhesive is gone. I was able to use moderate pressure without damaging the paint. When done, I used a goo gone dampened paper towel to gently remove the remainder of the adhesive. Then, the area was cleaned with soap and water. Lastly, I used a clay bar to remove any residue and bonded contaminants. Voila! Removed!

Tools used:

Peeling the old film off

Peeling the adhesive off

The "before" shot (Yes, the paint is really that bad on the rest of the car)

The "after" shot

7. Thanks LSNAutoDetailing thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, GEM65, LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep it going!!!!!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Keep it going!!!!!
    Thanks! I'm on it. :-) It's so rewarding to see it come back from how bad it was after 10 years.

4th of July update.

I've gotten the right rear disassembled, cleaned, smoothed with the clay bar, and have 3 of 4 coats of M7 applied by hand. It's looking so much better than before, it's crazy. In the pic below, the left rear has been hit with the UC once (after all the above steps) and the right is as described. My next challenge comes with the "turbo" script badge. What to do? Pic 2 is it all cleaned up before any product, and the 3rd pic is it after 3 applications of the M7. I'm open to suggestions as the paint hasn't really ever been touched around the badge. Removing the emblem would be the easiest way to correct the paint, but at the cost of possibly breaking the emblem. I would try q-tips if that's appropriate and "finish safe". Or, are there other tricks anyone would suggest?

Looking better!

Badge area "before"

Badge area "during treatment"

10. Likes SWETM, JKDesign, mattmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome project! Throughly enjoy these threads.

Another suggestion for the recesses would be an extension bar on a rotary and a one or two inch pad/backing plate. Flex’s pads work well, but are spendy.

That plastic scraper is something I’ve never seen. I looked them up on TCP global. Very handy looking tools and very reasonably priced. Add it to the list of 1000’s of tools I “need”

12. Likes mattmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have a 'micro' polisher to get into the badge, you very well may need to remove it and replace it with a new one (check to see if available prior to removal).
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Small update today:

I'm sorry this is a little/boring one. I had spent some time with cotton swabs and microfibers and tried to use many of the suggestions I've gotten here and around the web. In the end though; I could tell it wasn't going to come out as good as I would like. Grabbed the trusty dental floss and took the risk of pulling the badge. (They are available Sizzle Chest, but I'm not willing to pay what they want for a new one!) :-) Since I'm the customer, it was in my hands. Luckily, I sawed it off with ease. The adhesive tape was a completely different animal though. The hair dryer and plastic scraper didn't even touch it. Goo Gone had little effect. It came down to my thumbnail + goo gone + TIME. Once I had all the adhesive off I went over it with the clay bar. After all the rubbing/scraping/wiping/clay bar, etc... it still is as clear as day exactly where the badge was. Let this be a lesson to anyone wondering what type of difference they may find if they pull their emblems. I've treated the area with M7 for the night and will hopefully start doing some correction tomorrow.

Dental floss works wonders on "foam adhesive" taped badges

Just prior to the M7 treatment

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast