autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First clay bar on the new car

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post
    Tell you what I did today.
    For the very first time I used the Optimum ONR with a big sponge ...AND..used their Optimum Clay Towel immediately afterward. And I mean IMMEDIATELY after using the own Spray Wax as the lubricant. Meaning - I washed, Clayed, and waxed my wifes RX350 all at once!!

As stated, I've never used their gear before and after seeing a video on Rag Co / YouTube on "How To" do all three of these things at once! Skeptical-Yes!

Other than having some hang ups with their TINY Clay Towel, the finish did come out very smooth using a nice dry and polish towel to try and clean n dry it up.

Anyone else an Optimum Fan?
    I sure am doing that process once it stops raining !

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Ok folks.
    Here is my first hand assessment of the Optimum Clay Towel and their Wash, Clay and Wax on wifes RX350 this past weekend:

Followed Optimums ONR to Water Dilution ration off their video.
    - Prepped Optimum Clay Towel on windshield w their suggestions. No fan
    - Sponged car appropriately
    - Used Optimum Spray Wax as lube for OptiClay Towel (Def not big enough IMHO. Things should be 16x16 for sure!)
    - Immediately went over area w soft Microfiber towel (One must be VERY careful what this process picks up on surface! The tiniest thing screws it up!)
    - Vehicle required multiple touch up with both Clay Towel, Spray Wax and soft buffing! This is not a one shot job, nope!

Gave the entire Optimum Prep process a shot and not a real fan at this point. Got the Nanoskin Starter Kit in same package and anxious to give this a try too! Sure hope this process gives a better result than what the postage stamp Optimum Clay Towel did!

Semper Fi !

Post Thanks / Like

First clay bar on the new car

- Used Optimum Spray Wax as lube for OptiClay Towel (Def not big enough IMHO. Things should be 16x16 for sure!)
    - Immediately went over area w soft Microfiber towel (One must be VERY careful what this process picks up on surface! The tiniest thing screws it up!)
    - Vehicle required multiple touch up with both Clay Towel, Spray Wax and soft buffing! This is not a one shot job, nope!

Gave the entire Optimum Prep process a shot and not a real fan at this point.
    You prepped the clay towel on your windshield, then you say “no fan”. Are you saying you’re not a fan of having to do that? If so, why not?

You say you immediately went over the area afterwards with a soft microfiber towel [to wipe up the claylube] and that one must be very careful doing so because the tiniest thing can screw it up? Umm that’s not exactly true... I typically use a regular waffle weave drying towel and I’m never extra careful while wiping up claylube residue and I’ve never screwed up the paint.First clay bar on the new car

IMO super soft buffing is only required at the start of a panel, once you get things going + well lubed you can go rather fast back & forth until the panel feels smooth. The more claylube you use the more you can get away with as far as not having any worries about marring the paint. I would imagine using actual spray wax as the lube would result in being a bit conservative with how much you allow yourself to use..

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa!! Are you an employee or stock holder with Optimum? Never meant to hurt anyone's feelings with my personal opinion. FWIW - This is the video which prompted my order of these products, and which I followed to the letter.
    Never said I was tossing it all in the trash for heavens sake. Were anyone to say that they hated "Pinnacle Products" which I happen to love, I wouldn't be so offended because this is a Forum where we all express our personal opinions - good or bad. As a Senior Member here you can easily set the example. If you chose to of course?

YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa!! Are you an employee or stock holder with Optimum? Never meant to hurt anyone's feelings with my personal opinion.
    Are you talking to me? Employee or stockholder? Ha, I don’t own a single product from the Optimum line. I was asking legit questions out of curiosity and maybe once we found out more details someone could hopefully provide some advice.

I think you took it the wrong way. Just trying to help.First clay bar on the new car

6. Thanks Gunny Fitz thanked for this post
    Likes Gunny Fitz, acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok folks.
    Here is my first hand assessment of the Optimum Clay Towel and their Wash, Clay and Wax on wifes RX350 this past weekend:

Followed Optimums ONR to Water Dilution ration off their video.

Gave the entire Optimum Prep process a shot and not a real fan at this point. Got the Nanoskin Starter Kit in same package and anxious to give this a try too! Sure hope this process gives a better result than what the postage stamp Optimum Clay Towel did!

Semper Fi !
    Toss that optimum clay towel in the garbage. It’s not a good clay towel. Drags too much and leaves sticky residue on the glass when breaking in and still leaves it on the paint.

Doesn’t glide well with any clay lube. You are not the first to complain about the towel.

Optimum keeps saying they are coming out with a new towel for the past year. So that should say something about the towel.

8. Thanks Gunny Fitz thanked for this post
    Likes Gunny Fitz, JustJesus, Powerman liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I have a little update. Apparently using wax on the black trim in the lower bumper as well as on the diffuser was a bad idea. It’s left a white, streaky haze as if I didn’t wipe off the wax (which I did). I’ve tried the clay bar (multiple times) multiple washes, etc and I can’t get it off. Any suggestions from the pros?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Rubber and tire rejuvenator works well and can be used to remove dressings and such McKee’s 37 has a nice one

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

The Mckees trim kit would be great for that. Hate to spend your money but really it would be ideal

McKee's 37 Plastic Clean & Restore Combo

The paint looks great bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I almost always use cleaner waxes on my white cars. My personal favorite is McKee's 37 360, as far as clay goes, get yourself a clay mitt, makes it easy to get those little specks that always seem to show up on white. Real time saver too.

I agree with the spray wax drying aid thing, doesn't leave a ton of protection behind but enough to make a difference. Plus the car always looks like it's freshly waxed. Looks great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast