autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1970 Chevy Monte Carlo & Blackfire One Step

Spent the last two days with a nice looking '70 Chevy Monte Carlo. 125K+ miles. The vehicle was repainted BC/CC. The owner didn't opt for a multi-step makeover so I did what I could using Blackfire One Step with my Flex 3401 and white/orange LC Hybrid pads.

Gotta love these older cars - huge flat panels and chrome....no plastic trim and funky body lines.

Did a waterless wash with WG Uber.

Polished the side pipes with Pinnacle Exhaust Cleaner & Brightener and applied 5 coats of Mckee's 37 Tire Coating.

Turned out pretty well considering the vehicle is almost as old as me. My teenage son had no clue where/how to fuel the car. Sadly, I knew right where to look

1970 Chevy Monte Carlo & Blackfire One Step-dsc_6989-jpg1970 Chevy Monte Carlo & Blackfire One Step-dsc_6968-jpg1970 Chevy Monte Carlo & Blackfire One Step-dsc_6979-jpg1970 Chevy Monte Carlo & Blackfire One Step-dsc_6978-jpg1970 Chevy Monte Carlo & Blackfire One Step-dsc_7001-jpg1970 Chevy Monte Carlo & Blackfire One Step-dsc_6994-jpg1970 Chevy Monte Carlo & Blackfire One Step-dsc_6992-jpg1970 Chevy Monte Carlo & Blackfire One Step-dsc_6966-jpg

Meeting the owners tonight at a local car show. I know they're gonna love it. Thanks for looking!
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1970 Chevy Monte Carlo & Blackfire One Step

Awesome! I love the new Blackfire Pro Detailers Choice - One Step. The Monte Carlo looks amazing. Keep up the great work!

BLACKFIRE One Step, BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal, polish and wax, cleaner wax, car polish

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing this. I've never seen a 70's era Monte Carlo with side pipes...definitely a different look. i love the old school Cragar S/S rims, too. For the record, I'm old enough to know where to fill these up.....so you're not alone in that demographic. Did I read correctly that you put McKees Tire Coating on those side pipes? What did you polish the wheels with, if anything?

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely my favorite year for the Monte Carlo. It looks great, Im sure the customer will be pleased.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

SWEET!!!!!!

Killer job, Dave!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I love those land yachts. Great work!
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work for a one step, it came out great!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post

Spent the last two days with a nice looking '70 Chevy Monte Carlo. 125K+ miles. The vehicle was repainted BC/CC. The owner didn't opt for a multi-step makeover so I did what I could using Blackfire One Step with my Flex 3401 and white/orange LC Hybrid pads.

My favorite combo for these types of cars and this demographic of people.

Gotta love these older cars - huge flat panels and chrome....no plastic trim and funky body lines.
    I'm 100% with you on the body design of these era cars. So easy to work on compared to new "Bic" car.

Plus the "cool factor". I'm afraid we're never going to see the restoration catalogs like are available for Monte Carlos for the Ford Fusion or the Toyota Prius. Just sayin....

[QUOTE=david b;1582003]

Did a waterless wash with WG Uber.

Polished the side pipes with Pinnacle Exhaust Cleaner & Brightener and applied 5 coats of Mckee's 37 Tire Coating.

[/quoate]

Quick simple easy to use product, dramatck results. KISS = Keep it Simple Simon

Turned out pretty well considering the vehicle is almost as old as me. My teenage son had no clue where/how to fuel the car. Sadly, I knew right where to look
    Another styling design all the new breed of engineers went away from to match the collective hive mentality of the masses.

Meeting the owners tonight at a local car show. I know they're gonna love it. Thanks for looking!

David

I'm confident they will love it and no doubt send you their friends that also have cool cars like this Monte.

Nice work David.

9. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I put your pictures in your free gallery here on AGO...

Beautiful body lines and easy to buff large flat panels. N

o stupid plastic trim to have to tape-off or watch fade-to-ugly over time...

This is obviously a before picture...

Before with swirl finder light...

After picture after BLACKFIRE One Step

It takes more than one pad to buff out a car

Here's a message to the rest of us and especially anyone "new" to machine buffing. Correctly buffing out a car via a one-step cleaner/wax or when using compounds or polishes means you need more than one pad. In a perfect world, and especially for large vehicles in neglected condition, you want one pad per panel.

Also - a trick of the trade that I share in my classes is to focus a little more attention on the major gloss panels and also the panels that the owner will look at the most, which are usually the hood and trunk lid because they can look down on them, (waist high). I'm not sure if this is what David did but my guess is he used the orange cutting pads for the hood and possibly the trunk to really cut out the defects and perfect the paint and then re-polished using the white polishing pads to ensure no pad haze from the more aggressive foam cutting pads. The end result is a one-step process where David gave the major gloss panels a little more attention and by doing so....

Under promised and over delivered

Last of the classic single round headlight era...

Engineer #1 - Hmmm what can we do with this rectangular shaped mandatory component on a car?

Engineer #2: Let's engineer a hinge into the lower half and hide the gas filler neck.

Some Monte Carlos came with a Big Block Chevy!

Now that's bragging rights!

Again, nice work David!

11. Likes FrankS, JKDesign, Diner, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good work! Nice looking Monte! These are the kind of projects that make me smile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast