autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Member Joe@Superior Shine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Air Force One... shining a part of American history.

The second night working on SAM971 we were in THE ZONE! Her finish was starting to come around. Even though we had already worked a good 8+ hour day, we decided to stay late and keep shining away.

Little did we realize that there would be no lights around us. As the sun dimmed the lights under the roof seemed to grow brighter, the high-intensity lights highlighted the brilliant finish that she now proudly displayed.

It was sureal and made for amazing photos!

We took advantage of this opportunity to take a team photo. Look as her smile!!

I love and greatly respect all these guys. Remember, this is an all volunteer gig.
    From bottom right to left... Jason, Ryan, Felix, David, Robert, John, Luke, A.J., Chris, Paul...upper level are Andrew and myself. (Hey....What is that resting on my shoulder... more about that later.) Not in the pic, Cougar and Chris J.

2. Likes SWETM, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

nice man!! you should have called me up I would have come and hung out with you guys. I still have my line bandage and secret clearance to go near all that stuff. did you guys get the yellow stands from the corrosion shop there or did you bring those in? I see you used a lot of the AGE stands as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work, sir!

So great to hear from you!

5. Thanks Joe@Superior Shine thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I am always amazed at the amount of work a project like this takes. Congrats!

There is one thing that bothers me every time I see a post about polishing large aircrafts like this: Everytime, D156 is used as a LSP... why? This stuff doesn't last. It will give maybe a month of protection.... why spend 100s of man hours on a plane an protect it with a product that has no durability? Should you not be using a long lasting sealant or some kind of ceramic protection instead?
    Probably from a cost perspective I'd guess. I'm not sure how much it would cost in product to ceramic coat a plane of this size. $10 grand? More? If he used polish angel it would be like half a mill lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Nice work, nice write up with great pictures Joe!

Ugh... I'm tired just looking at all the work that goes into projects this large...

You da man!

Look at it this way...............the next fleet will be 747's. These will look like piper cubs.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    Probably from a cost perspective I'd guess. I'm not sure how much it would cost in product to ceramic coat a plane of this size. $10 grand? More? If he used polish angel it would be like half a mill lol.

also the planes don't normally get any extra protection beyond the clear coat itself so any added protection is a bonus, well they don't even get washed much

Post Thanks / Like

Wow what a generous thing you guys have done! Awesome work everyone! And those pictures in the dark that highlights the plane is unbelieveble beutieful!

Thanks for shareing your work!

Regards
    Tony
    Sweden

Super Member Joe@Superior Shine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We had allotted 5 days to complete the project. By mid-day of day three, we had most of her shined up. Other than a few guys up top tying up loose ends, I was running out things for the team to do.
    The Pima Air and Space Museum is an amazing place. It is huge! I knew they had another aircraft on display out in their field that I took notice of. It was very dirty and very badly faded.

Allow me to introduce you to the Lockheed VC-140B Jet Star.

In 1961, the U.S. Air Force acquired six Lockheed VC-140B JetStars to transport the President, high-ranking government officials and other heads of state. The Jet Stars were used to operate on runways that were too small for the much larger VC-137 and were used for short trips. The VC-140B provided fast and economical travel for several US presidents. Whenever the president was aboard, these small jets flew under the radio call sign Air Force One.

This baby bird was badly faded. People were using their fingers to write graffiti in the chalky finish. This upset me greatly!

I informed the Museum that we were ahead of schedule. Rain was expected later that day. I told them if they would be so kind as to pull the Jet Star out of the field and under the roof, we'd shine it as well. They were more than happy to accomadate us.

First order of bisness... wash her up!

and then..... the test spot!!

Shortly after the wash the museum crew tucked "baby bird" up near "mama bird." As part of the team was finishing up SAM971, others started on the Jet Star.

It is always a treat to polish up Ol' Glory. I did a large portion of the American flag on the VC-137 and had the honor of polishing up the Flag on one side of the Jet Star's tail.

Faded....

Freshly polished and protected....

11. Likes JKDesign, mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kudos to you and your crew. Did your crew get instructions on where and where you cannot walk?

13. Thanks Joe@Superior Shine thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I don't know if it's this same jet but the chrome belly is what caused alot of these to spot flying. They were buffed so many times that it thinned the metal and weakened the fuselage

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast