autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie single stage paint restoration

Thank you all for the kind words. This has been a very rewarding foray into detailing. I literally started knowledgeless about how to do this, but thanks to the reading up on this forum and watching videos, I was able to get unexpectedly awesome results. I was oblivious to what was possible. I still intend to repaint the car at some point (chips, dents, and rust need attention), but this has bought me years more of enjoyment which not only puts a smile on my face, but also saves me money.

Mike I greatly appreciate the kind and detailed response. You deserve a lot of credit for the write-ups you've posted. I should have linked to them in my write-up. It's a rare person who can master a skill like detailing AND the art of teaching others - you do a great service to this community. My car came a long way thanks to just reading your stuff! THANK YOU! I wish I could afford/justify attending your detailing class this weekend in Santa Clarita. I am about an hour's drive from where you'll be. If you need a car for the class, there are still plenty of defects and swirls that could use some help

Your article on restoring oxidized single stage paint absolutely put me on the right path. The no 7 glaze changed the consistency of the paint. I have no idea what would have happened if I jumped right onto it with compound. Going forward, should I continue to use the glaze regularly prior to wax? i.e. how should I maintain the car now?

2. Likes PaulMys, SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post

Mike I greatly appreciate the kind and detailed response. You deserve a lot of credit for the write-ups you've posted. I should have linked to them in my write-up.

It's a rare person who can master a skill like detailing AND the art of teaching others - you do a great service to this community.

Thank you. I try hard.

My car came a long way thanks to just reading your stuff! THANK YOU! I wish I could afford/justify attending your detailing class this weekend in Santa Clarita. I am about an hour's drive from where you'll be. If you need a car for the class, there are still plenty of defects and swirls that could use some help
    I would have loved to had a classic car with neglected, white chalky paint for the class. Now that you're so far along the way in the process I let you enjoy continuing to finish your pride and joy, but thank you, I appreciate your trust.

Your article on restoring oxidized single stage paint absolutely put me on the right path. The no 7 glaze changed the consistency of the paint. I have no idea what would have happened if I jumped right onto it with compound.
    I can no longer count how may people have used the product and the technique outlined in the article to save and preserve the original paint on their project. The SAD thing to me are all the people that I've helped over the years via e-mail that NEVER join the forum and share the before and after pictures from their projects. They are happy to get help and find time to get help, but can never find the time to give back like you have.

Going forward, should I continue to use the glaze regularly prior to wax? i.e. how should I maintain the car now?
    The single stage paint is going to always be in a state of oxidation. I'd pick up a bottle of Pinnacle Jeweling Wax and use it with a foam polishing pad on like speed 4-5 a few times a year. You might be able to get away with a foam "finishing" pad, (less aggressive than foam polishing) and this will maintain the max potential. It's a tick on the spendy side but I guarantee you, the first time you use it you will love it.

I have a write-up to share where I used the Pinnacle Jeweling Wax on the original paint on a classic Olds, just can't find the time to get to the pictures.

4. Thanks TheBandit thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is really too bad that people don't come back online to show their results. I forgive because many people do not have the skill to do so. There is a whole world of talent out there that does not share what they do on the net either due to technical hurdles (unable to take photos or good photos, unable to figure out how to upload and post, etc) or lack of time/interest. I get it. Sometimes I get so caught up taking photos and video or posting my projects that I end up extending the project and run out of time. Case in point - if I hadn't been taking all those photos and video of what I was doing, I might have had more time remaining to go over the car with polish like I should have! But I get a ton of enjoyment out of sharing what I've done and like you I want my experience to benefit others. It is important to give back and not just be a consumer of knowledge. Learn, discover and pass along your experience when you can. The people that you've helped are no doubt still sharing what they learned in other ways, to their friends, at car shows, etc. You are like that butterfly flapping their wings...

I completely understand not needing my car for the class. I am glad that I didn't see that class volunteer opportunity before I started because I might not have had the satisfaction of discovering for myself what can be done!

I saw what you and your group of apprentices did with the jeweling wax on the RS Camaro and that got me thinking an AIO might be a good way to approach the car next time I go after it. Thank you for the suggestion!

6. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I've been buried lately and finally getting caught up on older posts that needed some dedicated time to review. I have to say for a relatively new poster here, you're post is amazing. The photo documentary of reviving this car is one half of the achievement, doing the work and getting the results you have is the other half.

Sometimes when you feel like you've got nothing to lose is when you get the biggest gains and in this case you got knowledge from Mike, some tools and product, and carefully took your time with out inhibition and look at the results you got! I wouldn't repaint that car at all... Love it just the way it is, and the autocross shots were cool too! Perfect car for autocross and cruise nights.

Just outstanding work, I really have nothing to add because you did your homework, you did the tests, trials and got great results, what more could anyone ask for?

Amazing write-up, amazing car, amazing story. Thank you for sharing!

Paul G.

8. Thanks TheBandit thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    ...The SAD thing to me are all the people that I've helped over the years via e-mail that NEVER join the forum and share the before and after pictures from their projects...
    One day, I WILL get to posting my write-up of the single stage VW I did a couple years back. I do want to give back and show the few tricks I employed in that project

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I have a write-up to share where I used the Pinnacle Jeweling Wax on the original paint on a classic Olds, just can't find the time to get to the pictures.

Every time I go back to the folder housing my VW pics.....i get discouraged. Over 600 photos to sort through. And I KNOW it will be the longest, most time consuming thread I will have posted. I just need to dedicated a good chunk of time to do it. I'll have more free time in August, once I finish my mini "move" and get back from my trip.

That is really too bad that people don't come back online to show their results. I forgive because many people do not have the skill to do so. There is a whole world of talent out there that does not share what they do on the net either due to technical hurdles (unable to take photos or good photos, unable to figure out how to upload and post, etc) or lack of time/interest.
    My biggest hurdle is time! I usually spend my lunch hour on the forums. My latest thread took over an hour to put together. And that was AFTER I sorted through the pics. You can't tell from that thread that it did take some time to put together, but I assure you, it did! Review: WOLFGANG All-Surface Cleaner

I get it. Sometimes I get so caught up taking photos and video or posting my projects that I end up extending the project and run out of time. Case in point - if I hadn't been taking all those photos and video of what I was doing, I might have had more time remaining to go over the car with polish like I should have!
    Ha! Yeah, I've been there, done that. I don't take photos of some of my work when I'm trying to get done and out. I take long as it is Although in my case, I don't post pics or video right away. I still have lots of video waiting to get processed and posted.

Bandit, thanks for taking the time to write this AND to follow up with more postings and pics and videos.

Mike P, thanks to you as well. I still push your books and videos to others interested in learning car care

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the continued encouragement! It is great to have the support and knowledge of this forum to guide me. My car is still far from perfect but it's come a long way.

I will definitely come back and update this thread as I continue to work on the car. There are LOTS of areas that would benefit from more attention that just don't show in the photos above. Sometimes it's good to leave room for improvement! I am new to this forum but I am a long time forum junky. You can find a lot more write-up and over a thousand photos on other build aspects of my car here: '70 Nova LY6/TH400 6.0VVT - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Here is one more photo someone sent me from Supercar Sunday.

11. Likes PaulMys, SWETM, Gav'sPurpleZ, Farmallluvr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone recommend a product to use to shine and protect my vinyl top?

13. Dislikes OCEJO disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Two names that I see pop up more than others are Raggtop and 303 (Aerospace Protectant)

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe I've missed this thread! Excellent write up, pics and work! Your Nova is really looking great compared to your before pictures! You should be very proud that you did it yourself and got such great results!

Well, well done!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

16. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Superb!!!!!!!!

Dan Tran
    www.thebuffingmoose.com

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast