autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie single stage paint restoration

Cool car! And looking forward to the results you are getting. It's seems like you have done some already but I would listen to Mike as this is his speciality. I learned something from this too in this thread about which ways to go when you can apply #7.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Again....

WOW!

Amazing write-up so far!

I have to go offline for now, but I'll be back to chime in tomorrow...

Very cool of you to take pictures and document the process and the results.
    Are you kidding me? I am barely returning the favor! You have written VOLUMES and shared uncountable photos and video of this stuff. It's because of what you shared that I even knew paint correction was a thing or that this was even possible! I am happy to share my progress if it will help others in the same boat.

FYI I think you are referring to posts I submitted that are still waiting for moderator approval. Please approve them if you can!

One thing that you did curse me with though... the last few weeks I am constantly seeing old single stage paint jobs in need of love. Previously I had just accepted that they were old paint and needed to be repainted and now I just want to stop all the drivers and point them to your articles! My neighbor has a '73 Beetle with heavily oxidized orange paint. I have a feeling he'll be borrowing my tools soon now that he's seen what can be accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I owned a 1971 Nova SS so I have an affection for these cars...
    COOL! What happened to it? I have had my Nova since 1998. It was my first car and I have done a ton to it mechanically. I am a mechanical engineer and I love building and fabricating. I have modified the suspension quite a bit (I'm talking cutting and welding, not just part swapping) and put an LS engine in mine. I very recently put the 18" rally wheels on it. I love to work on the car - I just never thought to do anything with the paint.

3. Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
    Wax: Again I was lost in all the product information that seems to be mostly focused on base/clear. I landed on Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax. Is there any harm in trying it out and switching to a carnuba wax later if I'm dissatisfied?
    You will be fine with ultimate wax. It is actually a paint sealant. I think you will be happy with it and you can go the carnauba route down the line if you choose to. Supposedly the paste wax version looks better than the liquid. I have never used the paste wax but the liquid is nice to work with that offers good performance.

5. Thanks TheBandit thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very cool car, and very cool project.
    It's nice to see the products you used, regardless of opinion, to see what it would do to a decades-old neglected paint.
    I'm a big fan of "patina", and I would be happiest with it with however good you got it (without repainting, that is).

7. Likes TheBandit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The 3" Griots works much better with the Lake Country thin pro pads. My Griots 3" struggled with any pressure to turn those thick pads, buts performs beautifully with the thin pro's, and also micro fiber pads. Love the thread. Thanks.

Bill

9. Likes TheBandit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work. Nice write-up. Welcome to the forum, by the way.

I happen to have some old school Meguiar's M16 wax. It could be neat to have old school wax on your old school ride

I'd be happy to let you use it to wax up your car. I'm pretty sure it won't be as easy to work with as the Ultimate stuff, but the idea (to me) is cool.

11. Thanks TheBandit thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the input. So many different ways to approach the problem. I appreciate your experience and advice. I'll experiment with the DA a bit tonight and see what it does for me with polish vs. compound.

I could use some practical advice. There is a cars & coffee on Sunday morning. I don't think I'll be done with the car by that point. If I drive the car, should I just go over it with some quick detailer afterwards before continuing the process or is it critical that I don't get it out on the road until it's finished/waxed?

Also, there are areas on the trunk with spatter from home exterior latex paint (happened years ago when a rental I was in got painted by a "professional"). Any tips on removing that? I took it off the glass with a flat razor blade, but I'm not sure I want to do that on the body. The clay didn't seem to take it off but maybe I need to work at it more?

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have anything to contribute to the discussion other than I'm really enjoying watching the progress. Great job so far.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work on a very cool ride!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
    Thanks all for the input. So many different ways to approach the problem. I appreciate your experience and advice. I'll experiment with the DA a bit tonight and see what it does for me with polish vs. compound.

I could use some practical advice. There is a cars & coffee on Sunday morning. I don't think I'll be done with the car by that point. If I drive the car, should I just go over it with some quick detailer afterwards before continuing the process or is it critical that I don't get it out on the road until it's finished/waxed?

Also, there are areas on the trunk with spatter from home exterior latex paint (happened years ago when a rental I was in got painted by a "professional"). Any tips on removing that? I took it off the glass with a flat razor blade, but I'm not sure I want to do that on the body. The clay didn't seem to take it off but maybe I need to work at it more?
    Plus one for this one interesting to see how others approach removing latex paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast