autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Impala with Gyeon Syncro (MOHS + Skin)

So at roughly the 4 month mark I decided to try something. First off Skin has retained it's slickness after 4 months as well as it's aggressive water behavior.

I decided to use Gyeon Cure (diluted 1:1 with water) on half of the car. I used it on the entire passenger side, half the roof, half the hood and half the rear. Will see how Cure works with Syncro.

The slickness between Cure and Skin is marginal. I felt a slight increase in slickness after applying Cure.

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the follow up. This thread was what's responsible for me using Syncro on my wife's SUV. I LOVE it. If my car wasn't good right now, I"d buy another kit and do it. I would bet too that I do once I get a free weekend that isn't booked for customer details. Right now I'm booking into early June so I'm guessing it may be around July 4 that I'll likely re-do my car with it.

Syncro, especially Skin, is super hydrophobic. It's interesting to see that with my wife's car, nothing seems to bond to it. Not another coating or even more Skin. It ends up beading up and pretty much just wiping off. Contrast that with my Car that Has CarPro's duo including Gliss, where I can attempt to lay down another layer of Coating or Gliss and it will not bead up. May not bond and adhere but it doesn't "repel" the product like the Geyon did.

I have been using that small bottle of Cure sparingly too. I dry my car with a blower and then use a damp Plush MF Rag to wipe it down. That rag is dipped into my WG Uber solution of distilled water, wrung out and then misted with 2-3 sprays of cure. Cure seems very simliar to Reload to me.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

4. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Figured I would update this thread just a bit.

So at 7 months in I am seeing the beginning signs of failure on the passenger side mirror. More precisely the chrome plastic. Nothing is different in the prep from the rest of the car. Beading is almost nothing and sheeting has become slow. The driver side mirror is doing good.

I have not used Cure in 3 months so I doubt that is the issue as the half that Cure was on didn't alter the painted surfaces.

The painted surfaces are holding up great.

6. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hello my friend, I would first like to thank for your very useful topic your information. I live in Brazil, and I'm working a lot with Gyeon Syncro and everything you wrote I could check in on Syncro in my work. I would like to know your opinion regarding the resistance of the product in cleaning maintenance? Already postponing my opinion I found the product weak in resistance it scratches easily but the brightness measured in the glossmeter and the angle of dimension are fantastic

Post Thanks / Like

It’s meant to help with protection from the elements, not damage caused by washing or wiping the car. I’m afraid none of the consumer level coatings can help with that.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    hello my friend, I would first like to thank for your very useful topic your information. I live in Brazil, and I'm working a lot with Gyeon Syncro and everything you wrote I could check in on Syncro in my work. I would like to know your opinion regarding the resistance of the product in cleaning maintenance? Already postponing my opinion I found the product weak in resistance it scratches easily but the brightness measured in the glossmeter and the angle of dimension are fantastic
    I'll post my final thoughts in a bit. But coatings are still susceptible to scratches. The layer is so thing that it does not take much to scratch or swirl a coating. They do help with wash induced marring.

I agree that Syncro does look good. The self cleaning effect does not last that long at least from my experience.

10. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These will be my final thoughts on Gyeon Syncro.

It was on this particular car for 1 year. The car sits outside 24/7 and was exposed to the elements of sun and occasional rain when it decided to rain here in Southern California.

In this time frame this is what I observed. The concept of this kit is great in having a consumer coating that is close to the professional Gyeon offering.

First 5 months the coating performed great. About the 5 to 6 month time frame I noticed the self cleaning effect lacking in performance. It was holding onto dirt more than when it was first applied. At about the 7 month mark it had failed on all the plastic chrome pieces where the water would sheet and not bead. At the 10 month mark I gave it a decon wash to see if the coating would be revived. Unfortunately that did not happen as I found water to stick to the coated surface on various areas. At the 12 month mark I polished it off and applied 22ple VX Pro 2 to this car.

The selling point of this kit is Skin. It is indeed the slickest top coat on the market and the most hydrophobic. The downside is that it does not last long. I chose to not use Gyeon Cure to test the true performance of the coating. Although I did use Cure on a few areas to test out the combination. Cure is a good product but it does not compare in terms of hydrophobic's or self cleaning compared to Skin.

The initial price when it came out was $159.99. I got it on sale for $199.99. It has since gone up to $179.99.

The next question one will ask is if I would buy it again? The answer for me would be no. I had high hopes for this coating combination but based on the performance I personally don't think it is worth the cost. But if one wants to try a Gyeon coating then go ahead and give it a try. Everyone's experience will vary. I hope Gyeon goes back and tweaks Skin to be more durable.

For me as I write my final thoughts, my favorite Gyeon coating would have to be CanCoat and that is not even a full fledged coating. But it exceeded my expectations lasting 15 months rather than the claimed 6-9 months. I will continue to use that and continue to recommend it.

Pros:
    -Easy of application
    -Good looks
    -Skin is the slickest top coat with a very aggressive water behavior

Cons:
    -Skin does not last long
    -The amount of layers required - 2 layers minimum of Mohs (3 max) at 1 hour apart. 1 layer of Skin 4 hours after the last layer of Mohs. Longer in my case with using Gyeon Primer Polish
    -High price not worth it for me based on the performance

Last video before it came off. Up to 2:36 I showcase the water performance. After that it is me repeating what I wrote here.

Post Thanks / Like

Great and complete review....^^^^^

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

13. Thanks The Guz thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the follow up and review Guz!

Do you think that the mohs coating had been holding under the Skin? I know you like to try out different coatings after a year or so. But would it be worth it you think to apply a new layer of Skin with what you have left of it? Or around what time would you have done that?

I could be remembering it wrong. But mohs coating is not based on Sio2 I think. And the follow up question is if mohs coating is compatible with Gyeon Primer? There have been some that has have problems with the longevity when useing Carpro Essence and the gtechnic CSL/EXO combo over it. And CSL I think also is not a Sio2 coating. But since it's Gyeon family products they have taken care of that mohs coating is bonding properly to Gyeon Primer. It would not be interfear with the Skin maybe if mohs is not effected of Primer. And it's strange that the top coatings has lower longevity than the base coating. Would be interesting to test how it would work to do a new top coating layer of Skin down the road and how long it would last. The same if useing Carpro Gliss on one of their coatings.

Will be interesting to see what you experience with the 22ple products.

Thanks for shareing your experience with us!

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed a great first-hand review by Guz. My experience has been slightly different. 8 full months as of this week with Syncro on my wife's Lincoln and it's doing awesome. I have just begun testing out for my personal interests Beadmaker as an after wash detail mist so going forward that could throw things off a bit but even just prior after 12k miles her coating has been performing like day 1. Even with BM on there was no change in the contact angle of water drops so that is speaking highly of it as a detail spray I think. I did lightly decontaminate the rear hatch once due to it slightly beginning to accumulate. Typical and most common on turbos for sure. That simple process completely restored it however.

My next move is to compare Gliss 1 vs Skin vs Gliss 2 in that order on her hood. Gliss v2 is due to my door any day and when I get around to it, I'll be doing the installation. My car has Q2 Pure topped with Skin which I did back in July and it too is doing crazy good. Both are garaged but we're in the midst of winter in Ohio so snow and dalt is just around the corner.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

16. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast