autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My 2013 Hyundai Sonata (Testing new product - CG - Waterless Wash)

I bought a gallon of Chemical Guys Waterless Wash to try as i had seen you go through about a 3rd of a gallon to do a car so it was pointless to get a small bottle. I always test new to me product on my own car before putting it on someone elses so i pulled my 2013 Sonata GLS into my garage and cleaned up the outside only.

I had the car up on stands bc i did a tire rotation and it made it easier to work on being higher and easier to clean the wheels with them off so it worked out good!

CG-Waterless Wash works very nice. The car hadnt been cleaned since the last time i pressure washed it at the local car wash which was at least 2-3 months ago to get the worst of the crap off the car. A motorcycle shop i work at part time owns the car wash next door to it so we can use the wash bays when the manager is on the grounds. The Sonata didnt have a lot of bugs caked on it so i wasnt able to get a good feel for how it does with that but for 3 months of typical road grime, some salt dust since im northern Ohio, and just regular road dust all over the car as you can see in the pics.

I sprays it on maybe a hair heavy, let it sit for a minute, then wiped it clean and then buffed with a separate dry towel. Same type of towel was used for both cleaning and buffing. When the cleaning towel got too dirty i switched the buffing towel to be the cleaning towel and grabbed a new one to buff with. Used a total of 3 microfibers linked below to clean the Sonata.

This car had the first 4 years of its life getting a wash at the dealership after every service, as we had leased it. Then we ended up purchasing it at the end of the 4yr lease and i knew the paint looked the way it did and was going to need a correction, BAD. You can really see it in the pics below. That dark blue paint really shows it in the light.

Only other product used in this detail was McKees 37 plastic restorer on the windshield trim. Thats it.

Products used...

Chemical Guys Waterless Wash
    https://www.autogeek.net/eco-smart-ru-gallon.html

McKees37 Plastic Trim Restorer
    https://www.autogeek.net/mckees-37-trim-restorer.html

3 Super Plush Microfibers (This is the 6pk i had purchased). I did use a separate black microfiber on the rims and tires.
    https://www.autogeek.net/cobra-deluxe-jr-towels.html

001 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

002 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

003 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

004 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

005 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

006 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

007 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

008 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

009 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

010 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

011 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

012 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

013 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

This pic shows really well how the CG-Waterless wash leaves a really nice finish to the tires. No gloss, but no dry look either. Just a nice clean & fresh look.

014 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

015 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

016 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

017 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

018 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

019 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

When i was taking this shot i realized my headlight was out. Luckily i had a few extra sets of them in the house. Also realized BOTH license plate lights were out. Crazy.

020 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

Product Shot...

021 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr

Using my Eastwood Underhood Foldiing LED Light on an IV Pole to hang it and move it around. Its nice since the IV Pole height is adjustable if im working on the roof or rockers.

022 by Polisher Detailing, on Flickr
    17 Tucson | 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP | 89 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10

@TheRealPolisher on FaceBook | @green2kgt on IG

2. Likes Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My 2013 Hyundai Sonata (Testing new product - CG - Waterless Wash)

Car looks good. But a third of a gallon for one waterless wash? That's a whole lotta product. Like, a $13 wash. Do you use other WW products? I have a gallon of PB Spray and Wipe that I bet I've gotten 40-50 washes out of. And probably at least that much from one 16 oz. bottle of Wolfgang Uber concentrate mixed at WW ratios.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    Car looks good. But a third of a gallon for one waterless wash? That's a whole lotta product. Like, a $13 wash. Do you use other WW products? I have a gallon of PB Spray and Wipe that I bet I've gotten 40-50 washes out of. And probably at least that much from one 16 oz. bottle of Wolfgang Uber concentrate mixed at WW ratios.
    Thanks. I understand what you are saying. I looked around when i bought it at prices and checked out the other products available. i use a lot of Chemical Guys products and i like them all and i liked all the reviews of this product so of course i went with them. I checked AG and Chemical Guys sites and unfortunately i didnt need anything else at that time so i wasnt going to add shipping on top of it. So i looked it up on Amazon and the gallon was on sale for $25 prime so i snagged it up right away, lol. I will be buying the concentrated gallon for $80 which makes 16 gallons. It will be nice to have this extra 1 gallon jug to make 1 gallon at a time from the concentrate. At the $80 price for the concentrate it comes out to be less than $2 per car wash. I will only be using the waterless wash when my normal wash routine is not available b/c of weather or any other issues. This 1 gallon i bought was just to make sure i liked the product.

Ill have to double check at home and see if it was 1/3 of the gallon that i used. i did fill the bottle when i was done so i need to take that into consideration as well. So i bet its actually less that i used.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good! I have never used a waterless wash before, so I have been curious how well they work. How does a WW differ from detail spray when it comes to preventing swirls in the paint when rubbing a rag across a dirty surface?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidk72008 View Post
    Looks good! I have never used a waterless wash before, so I have been curious how well they work. How does a WW differ from detail spray when it comes to preventing swirls in the paint when rubbing a rag across a dirty surface?
    Thanks. From what all ive read leading up to buying this gallon of Chemical Gyus product, a waterless wash does better at listing the dirt off the surface compared to just a detail spray. The only areas i had to put extra pressure was typical areas like spots where bugs may have been sitting and caked in the sun for a while. Same type of areas you would if you washed it. Im with you though, i have always been skeptical of these waterless washes but i am so sick of turning down business when winter comes around i needed to try it. I wanted to try it on my car first to make sure it went easy and i wasnt putting a lot of pressure on the paint. My first thought was "Great, im going to use 15 microfibers with my car" when i actually only used 3. It was easier than i expected and i was pleased with the results. Every brand of waterless wash said to use "Super Plush Microfibers" and i highly recommend the ones i linked above. They are the Junior size and at a great price compared to most and im glad I got the junior size, the full size wouldve been way too big and would have hit the ground or been flapping around and got into areas i hadnt sprayed yet. You can get them in multiple size packs. Really nice towels.

I wouldnt doubt i could dilute this stuff and use it as a detail spray. The Blackfire Rinseless wash (not waterless wash) can be diluted around 32:1 and used as a detail spray. I got a bottle of it as a sample with an order and plan to try it out on my mustang as a detail spray at shows.

https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-r...-wash-128.html

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great my friend!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good. You mention the blackfire. At least the older previous Blackfire waterless is very good not ever mentioned on here but a favorite of mine. Not sure if they changed the formula or not but anyways would be worth a try you can make quite a few bottles out of the small bottle cause it’s 1:48 dilution ratio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is always better to use rinseless wash instead of waterless because you can flush dirt off the paint with a sprayer and a well saturated sponge or mitt. Waterless is almost like guaranteeing that you will make swirls if it is more than dust. Most daily drivers have some grit on them somewhere just waiting for you to make a mistake. Bugs should be removed with bug-off instead of rubbing AKA swirling and scratching the paint. I made the mistake of rubbing bugs instead of using bug-off and melting them away and got swirls also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sicoupe View Post
    Looks great my friend!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Looks good. You mention the blackfire. At least the older previous Blackfire waterless is very good not ever mentioned on here but a favorite of mine. Not sure if they changed the formula or not but anyways would be worth a try you can make quite a few bottles out of the small bottle cause it’s 1:48 dilution ratio
    thanks. Only their rinseless wash can be diluted for that (they say), not their waterless wash. But i may try it when i get the concentrated Chemical Guys waterless wash for my mustang at car shows.

Quote Originally Posted by wing commander View Post
    I think it is always better to use rinseless wash instead of waterless because you can flush dirt off the paint with a sprayer and a well saturated sponge or mitt. Waterless is almost like guaranteeing that you will make swirls if it is more than dust. Most daily drivers have some grit on them somewhere just waiting for you to make a mistake. Bugs should be removed with bug-off instead of rubbing AKA swirling and scratching the paint. I made the mistake of rubbing bugs instead of using bug-off and melting them away and got swirls also.
    Yah i will get a bug remover that i can use minimal or no water with before i use the waterless wash. My car only had a few so i wasnt worried. It needs a pretty heavy correction as you can see by some of the pics so the few bug that i needed to remove werent a worry, lol. The real test will be after i correct the paint, how long will the waterless wash keep the paint clean and swirl free compared to a 2 bucket wash, which is my normal way.

I have a few things going against me. 1: i dont have a drain in my garage so even a rinseless wash is out of the question. I really hate how the previous owners built the garage without it. The garage was built just a few years before we bought it. It always gets to me, lol. 2: Living in northern ohio, the winter weather keeps me from detailing outside during most of the winter b/c of the cold weather. Also on rainy days id like to not have to turn people away who want a full interior/exterior detail. I have only had a few people opt to get an interior only at a discounted price and no exterior b/c of the weather. i really hate having to do that to people. ive been watching and reading for a while on a way to do exteriors with these issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ICEMAN View Post
    Thank you!

thanks. Only their rinseless wash can be diluted for that (they say), not their waterless wash. But i may try it when i get the concentrated Chemical Guys waterless wash for my mustang at car shows.

Yah i will get a bug remover that i can use minimal or no water with before i use the waterless wash. My car only had a few so i wasnt worried. It needs a pretty heavy correction as you can see by some of the pics so the few bug that i needed to remove werent a worry, lol. The real test will be after i correct the paint, how long will the waterless wash keep the paint clean and swirl free compared to a 2 bucket wash, which is my normal way.

I have a few things going against me. 1: i dont have a drain in my garage so even a rinseless wash is out of the question. I really hate how the previous owners built the garage without it. The garage was built just a few years before we bought it. It always gets to me, lol. 2: Living in northern ohio, the winter weather keeps me from detailing outside during most of the winter b/c of the cold weather. Also on rainy days id like to not have to turn people away who want a full interior/exterior detail. I have only had a few people opt to get an interior only at a discounted price and no exterior b/c of the weather. i really hate having to do that to people. ive been watching and reading for a while on a way to do exteriors with these issues.
    This is the stuff I’m talking about 1:48

https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-w...ncentrate.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast