autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally Got Around to Trying to Detail my 03 Sierra

Hello Everybody. This is my first post on the forum as well as the start of a progress thread on my 2003 GMC Sierra project. I have owned the truck for about a year, and I am finally getting around to detailing it. I ordered a fairly large order of supplies from Adams Polishes last week, and I will be working with a Porter Cable DA. The paint on this truck has been neglected before I bought it, and I haven't done more than just wash it since I bought it.

Anyways, I washed the truck Sunday afternoon and last night I started working on the hood. I clayed it using Adams Visco clay bar and detail spray, used their correcting polish on their orange pad, finishing polish on a white pad, brilliant glaze on their red pad, and finished it off with their sealant on their black pads. I am very happy with the results on the hood so far. There are a couple of scratches that were deeper than I felt comfortable going any further with on this old paint. For my daily, though, I am perfectly happy with about 95% of the swirls and scratches removed and a high level of shine.

Here are some before and after comparisons of the reflection on my ceiling and portable shop light I was using. Speaking of, I reallly need some more room and better lighting. I would love to start doing this on the side with the possibility of building it into a full-on business, but I want to practice on some more of my family's cars before I do that for customers.

Here is a picture of the truck as it sat before I started with the polishing.

Let me know what you think! Thanks.

David

2. Likes Paul A., Diner, SWETM, JKDesign, UncleDavy and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally Got Around to Trying to Detail my 03 Sierra

Beautiful work and welcome to the group, David.

Nice looking Sierra too! Smart decision to leave deeper scratches alone on 14 year old paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great, idk if it's the light you used but the paint didn't look too bad for an 03. Looks great and I'm sure will really shine in the sun.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Nice
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    Looks great, idk if it's the light you used but the paint didn't look too bad for an 03. Looks great and I'm sure will really shine in the sun.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk
    Agreed. I’ve seen one and two year old cars posted on here that look way worse. Great looking results so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet work

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Good job there...

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

MY EYES! SO BRIGHT!..LOL Excellent work! Keep on Rocking!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words everybody. The paint wasn't in terrible shape, it just hasn't had a coat of wax or sealant on it in a while and it's been used as a truck so it needed a little love. There was a little oxidation on the tops of the fenders and there are a few parts where the clear has started to flake already. Other than the clear flaking, I should be able to bring most of it back.

Quick question in regards to the products I'm using, how does Adams stack up to Griot's Garage, Wolfgang, etc that I see on autogeek? This order of Adams supplies is really my first experience with higher end auto care products.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're anything like me, David, curiosity about other highly touted brands had me trying a LOT of stuff talked about here on AGO. I've finally settled on a few lines that I like and work well for me. Having been hanging around this bar for about 10 years now I have come to learn which members offer me (personally) the best advice.

I can't offer any comparison with Adams products as I've only tried a few and some years ago. There are plenty here that have more experience with Adams vs. XYZ and I'll let them respond but my point is...

Satisfy yourself by trying other things. Buy smaller quantities and move on to something else if you are looking for better results. For me that was (and still is) the FUN part!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast