autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Brand New 2017 Championship White Civic Type R Walk-Around Findings

Hello,

Thought I'd post my findings and progress on here since I've been placing an order seemingly every weekend. I also posted this on CivicX.com. Just took delivery of my new baby.

Prior to me buying the car, I told the dealer; don't touch the car, don't wash, and the least amount of people that knows the car, the better. Leave all stickers, wraps, and tapes on as you see delivered..etc. Fast fwd to this past week after I got the car, it looked like they did exactly what I asked. The car was covered in dust(not bad) and all wrap was on. They even told me what wrappings they removed..etc.

Here's my baby;

So, after I got home, I did a thorough walk around in my swirl finder light and here's what I found;

1. The dreaded 1-2" circular dull spot. Some background is that other owners has been finding these spots on their cars. What was interesting was there was a black line on mine. I initially thought it was tire or tar. Dabbed some goo gone and the black lighten, but wouldn't remove. I didn't want to press on it, so i looked at the area in different angles and found the following. It looked like someone marked that spot from the factory and never got around or forgot to complete the buffing job. I just found another spot next to the rear license plate area that's not pictured.

2. Type 2 Water Spots on the wing. This could be from delivery or what not. I saw water spot sprays from below the wing as well. Luckily, after some very light vinegar to test and some Meg UP using hand application, the spots are removed, but I'm left w/ swirls and scratches. Not pictured.

3. Isolated scratches in front of the hood vent. It was just that patch in that area;

4. Swirls on the outside B pillars(pass & driver side). I only took pix of one side;

5. Not pictured - Heavily swirled front black grill area. All the outer black trim/paint is very soft. I lightly tried to clay the water spot and it scratched the paint further.

6. A couple patches of "I don't know what it is" on the driver side rear view mirror and right above the front lip passenger side. Different area, but similar pattern or dimples. Harder to see on the lip area.

I'm actually very happy w/ the condition. I would prefer perfect, but cant' really expect that from a shipment overseas. At least all of this stuff I can fix easily. I may leave some spots as I really don't want to start correcting everything on new paint. I'll try a few least aggressive methods this weekend. I was able to remove the dull spot using some elbow grease with a generic brand mf applicator pad with Meg UC and UP. 95% gone. More pix soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand New 2017 Championship White Civic Type R Walk-Around Findings

Congrats on the new ride, looks like a fun little car.

How do you like the new 2.0 Turbo?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! its awesome!! i love it, but I haven't really ripped on it, yet. Drove about 650 miles under boost to get home. More of a break in drive than anything. I boosted a few times, but it wasn't WOT. I wanted it protected before I take it out and really drive it.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry about cleaning up and polishing the "new" paint... it has spent so much time on a boat, train and truck, that it stopped being new quite a while ago.

Congrats on the new arrival!
    Purple Towel Auto Detailing
    PurpleTowelDetailing.com
    @purpletoweldetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleTowel View Post
    Don't worry about cleaning up and polishing the "new" paint... it has spent so much time on a boat, train and truck, that it stopped being new quite a while ago.

Congrats on the new arrival!
    Good point about nothing being new. Corvette owners with museum delivery get pretty close to getting the newest new car

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet ride. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

no additional pictures, but I wanted to follow up that i was able to remove all of the sanding or buffing marks using Meg Yellow pad with Meg UP. It cleaned it right up looking like LSP or fresh new paint. The spots are small, so even if I took pictures, it looks like rest of the panel. It blended in perfectly. The championship white paint seems very easy to work with vs lexus obsidian black.

Post Thanks / Like

congrats on the new ride. make sure and coat it, considering how notorious it is known (japanese paint) for clear coat issues...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the congrats everyone. The coating part is where I'm at a stand-still right now. Not sure what to do, so I may just do the old school Meg Carnabu wax formulation while I figure it out. I tried McKees paint coat on the said soft lexus paint. Although it looks nice and extremely easy to clean, it still stains, dust, and scratches just as easily as the soft paint it seems like, with the exception of it being this sacrificial layer, which I don't mind. I'm not knocking on the product, just saying what I'm seeing. I'm assuming most ceramic coatings are like that. That said, I also bought Gyeon Mohs to try, but haven't coated with it, yet. 12 months durability is what it claims. I'm thinking maybe I should just stick w/ a good sealant/wax. This way, I don't have to polish it. I'm thinking Wolfgang Uber Sealant at this point. Or, I may just paint coat the roof. The whole front end is getting ppf wrap.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your CTR! I love those cars!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast