autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Full Wheel Detail with Optimum Gloss Coating and TufShine Tire Coating

I finally got around to doing a full detail of my wheels. I bought the products a long time ago! Got a day to do it and here's how it went!

Full Wheel Detail with Optimum Gloss Coating and TufShine Tire Coating

Materials

22mm Titan non-marring lug nut socket
    24" Pittsburgh 1/2" breaker bar
    Pittsburgh 3 Ton jack stands (4)
    Big Red Jack

Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel & Tire Cleaner
    Chemical Guys Decon Iron Remover
    McKee's Extreme Iron Remover
    Adam's Wheel Cleaner (I didn't have a full bottle of any of the iron decontaminants so I used up what I had.)
    Stoner Tarminator
    TufShine Tire Cleaner Concentrate
    Optimum No RInse mixed as clay lube
    Chemical Guys Medium Clay
    Optimum Gloss Coat
    TufShine Tire Coating

Before pic: Lots of glopped on tire shine, tar, brake dust

Before pic of wheels with tar

Before pic of brake dust

I started out with a strong rinse from the Greenworks 1800 psi pressure washer and the white 40* nozzle.

Pro Tip: Clean tires before wheels. I sprayed the tires with TufSHine Tire Cleaner concentrate diluted 50% with water. I let the spray sit for 1-2 minutes and then scrubbed with stiff bristle brusehes. At first, there was no sudsing due to the accumuated tire shine products. Eventually, a brown suds would come off the tire. I rinsed and re-applied 10 times, yes, 10 times, until the foam coming off the tires was white. This is what the directions say to do.
    Next a spray down of the wheels with the iron decontaminators. I did not get much color change as these wheels didn't have much brake dust on them. Then I used a soft brush and Diablo Wheel and Tire Gel.

This is the area that is really hard to clean when the wheel is on the car. I wanted to make sure to prep this area well for the Opti Gloss Coat.

To get the stubborn tar spots off, Stoner Tarminator melts away most of the tar, and I used a plastic trim tool to scrape away the rest.

After the surfaces were clean, I used medium duty clay and ONR to clay all metal surfaces of the wheel.

Pro Tip: As I found out, never try to use tarminator as a clay lube for a clay block. It MELTED the nanoskin surface on my clay block!
    I did not polish the wheels because the wheels have grooves in the barrel. I used medium clay and pressed hard to get it down in the grooves. If you zoom in on this picture, you can clearly see the grooves at the outer edge of the rim.

Clean and naked wheel and tire

TufShine Tire Coating

After 1st coat of tire coating

Comparison before vs after

I was very surprised at the consistency of the TufShine coating. It was like milk.
    TufShine coating consistency

I let the coating dry and then applied another coat. After 2 coats of TufShine

Comparison after 2 coats of TufShine coating

After 3rd coat of TufShine

Time to move to sealing the wheels. I had enough Optimum Gloss Coat left over from a job to cover all the wheels. Opti Gloss Coat is very easy to apply. I used a foam applicator and applied a few drops. Optimum Gloss Coat for the barrel and face of the wheel!

Gloss coating the most important spot. This is the spot that is so hard to keep clean! Your hands will get filthy! Use a glove! Unlike me, now my skin will probably peel off tomorrow!

Back on the vehicle with Opti Gloss Coat and 3 coats of TufShine Tire Coating!

So there is my full wheel detail. You can use a different sealant, such as Chemical Guys Max Coat Wheel Guard or some of the other products that have been mentioned in this forum. If anyone has questions, please ask, and thanks for following along!
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Full Wheel Detail with Optimum Gloss Coating and TufShine Tire Coating

Wow those wheels pop!! Have you used the tire coating before? Any idea how long it will really last? Nice work and great write up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    Wow those wheels pop!! Have you used the tire coating before? Any idea how long it will really last? Nice work and great write up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app
    No this is the first time I have used a tire coating or a coating on wheels. I will keep this thread updated. Thanks!
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow. Better than new. Incredible. Phil

Post Thanks / Like

That looks killer Kirk! I have my wheels coated, but haven't made the move to tire coatings yet. I've had TufShine in and out of my cart a few times now. Please keep us updated, and thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work on those tires and wheels. I just used that tire coating this weekend on two of my daily drivers. Applied three coats and used a blower to dry after each application.

Mike Phillips used this same tire coating at the Wisconsin Roadshow on a cool looking Scooby Van. He did 5 coats if I recall...

Full Wheel Detail with Optimum Gloss Coating and TufShine Tire Coating-dsc_5355-jpg

Full Wheel Detail with Optimum Gloss Coating and TufShine Tire Coating-dsc_5354-jpg

Full Wheel Detail with Optimum Gloss Coating and TufShine Tire Coating-dsc_5358-jpg

David