autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

87 Chevy single stage paint

This is more of a show than "shine". I wanted to post up my results with this beat up truck which my buddy bought at an auction. When he text me a pic of it, I literally told him it needed a paint job and not a detail. Well my curiosity got the best of me, so I took on the project to work on in between other jobs.

For whatever reason I could only upload 4 pics. If you want to see more, just send me a message.

After a good blast from my leaf blower, I used Blackfire Rinseless wash and then a synthetic clay mitt to get the party started.

After a couple test spots of Meguiars#7 and hand polishing to see what results I could get, I got the go ahead from the owner to do the whole truck.

I ended up doing 2 applications of M#7.
    The paint was beat up, uneven, and most likely resprayed. Nothing was consistent.

I ended up using my FLEX 3401 with some older Buff and Shine orange pads after not getting desired results with several AIO and finishing pads.
    For the polish, I actually decided to use up my very old Chemical Guys V32. This stuff finally served a purpose. The budget was low so I wasn't about to use up my Menzerna line up.
    For the LSP I used [COLOR=#0000FF !important]BLACKFIRE[/COLOR] BlackICE Hybrid Montan Sealant [COLOR=#0000FF !important]Wax[/COLOR].

The goal was to bring some shine back so he could sell it to make a quick buck. Obviously you can see there's other damage and the truck is not in great shape. The hood was the worst of it all. I had to stop polishing since I was getting down to the point of no return. It started out fun, then once the rest of the truck reacted nothing like my test spots, it got a little annoying.
    It ended up being a good conversation starter having it in my shop, but I was happy when I drove it back to the owner. It sat at his shop baking in the hot sun for 10 days straight. I went over there to pick up other vehicles and I didn't notice any severe oxidation.

Thank you to Mike Phillips for posting and sharing so much info on restoring single stage paint. Without his articles, I wouldn't have attempted my first single stage paint a couple years ago. I still run across slightly newer cars that had panels resprayed with SS, so it's good to have had some experience in the past.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 87 Chevy single stage paint-87chevy-jpg   87 Chevy single stage paint-87chevy3-jpg   87 Chevy single stage paint-87chevy4-jpg   87 Chevy single stage paint-87chevy5-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 87 Chevy single stage paint

Good save buddy! Throw some rally's on it and would make a nice lil shop truck.