autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Summit White Chevrolet Utility - Detailed by Lawrence

This vehicle is still new and had been parked close to a company who were painting. Unfortunately for the owner, his car was covered in what appeared to be yellow paint. Fortunately however the company was more than willing to rectify the situation, and so the vehicle was booked in with the main aim being to remove the yellow paint from pretty much every exterior surface, polish the paint to remove the inevitable marring from claying process and restore its gloss, and re-protect everything. No work was carried out on the interior or engine bay.

Starting with the dirty area including the wheels, brake calipers, tyres and fender liners so that any potential splashes of dirt onto the paint will be washed off during the 'paint' wash, and therefore if you were to have splashed some dirty wheel water onto the paint, you would only have to wash this area once, instead of twice, and therefore would reduce the potential for swirls.

These were cleaned using a combination of Valet Pro Billberry @ 1:5 and Carchem APC @ 1:5 with a variety of dedicated brushes and mitts. The painted sections were protected using Carpro Hydro and the plastics with Carpro PERL.

Before

The little black dots are from some form of silicone based dressing which (invariably) gets over-applied, and has slung up onto the paint.

Horrible design means dirt collects here really easily

During

After cleaning (but before the tyres and plastics were dressed)

The entire exterior was then cleaned using Turtle Wax Hyperfoam through a foam cannon, Carchem Luxury Shampoo (with 2 buckets / grit guards / wash mitts) and Carchem APC in order to remove the dirt which had not bonded to the vehicle. The vehicle was then pressure rinsed, and liberally sprayed in Carchem Revolt, which was allowed to dwell in order to "dissolve" the embedded iron particles in the paint, the resultant color change of which can be seen as the purple'ish / red'ish bits in the photos below. Where needed (if it appeared sections would risk drying out) I re-covered the area with foam from the cannon.

Carpro Tar-X was then used along with cotton discs and plastic razor blades (where required) to remove the tar contaminants before I was finally able to tackle the paint over-spray.

I used a little over 200g of Shield Heavy Duty Clay along with a couple of litres of clay lube.

Many hours later I was able to tackle restoring the actual paint, which mostly looked like the below and not how a car this young should look.

After a few test spots I settle on a 1-step correction using Flex 3401, Lake Country Orange Hybrid Pads, and Turtle Wax T10 polish. Here is a before and after on the hood.

The paint was then protected using Turtle Wax Perfect Finish Paste Wax. I had no problems during application or removal, but did note it tends to haze up rather quickly. I didn't risk leaving it too long before removing, so work smaller sections at a time.

The remaining exterior plastics and the loadbin cover were deep cleaned using Shield Heavy Duty Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner, before being dressed with Carpro PERL.

Before

After

The glass was cleaned inside and out using Meguiars Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner

I was unable to get the vehicle out of the garage for any 'nice' after shots, so the below have to suffice ops: :fear: .

Total time spent = 27 hours.

Thanks for looking and as always any questions or comments are welcome.

:hi:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Summit White Chevrolet Utility - Detailed by Lawrence

Stellar work Lawrence my friend.

Interesting looking truck/ute/backie there mate, it sure doesn't look familiar to these parts anyhow. Also haven't heard of T10 Turtle Wax polish but it looks like it finishes down real nice. Fantastic post Lawrence, as usual - super informative, great pictures & of course - first class workmansip!

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

i always look forward to your write-ups, excellent job as usual Lawrence! you've always proven what the Flex can do in the right hands and your skills help too...

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work as usual Lawrence!

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing work as always!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Stellar work Lawrence my friend.

Interesting looking truck/ute/backie there mate, it sure doesn't look familiar to these parts anyhow. Also haven't heard of T10 Turtle Wax polish but it looks like it finishes down real nice. Fantastic post Lawrence, as usual - super informative, great pictures & of course - first class workmansip!

Aaryn NZ.
    Thanks Aaryn. I was sent some product by Turtle Wax a while ago to test. In the review I did for them (locally) it seems like they have introduced a range which is *very* similar to the Menzerna stuff. T10 is the FG400 equivalent and I found it to cut and finish slightly better which was pretty surprising. Their medium cut polish T20 which is equivalent to PF2300 never performed well at all
    and the SF4000 equivalent was a little more oily than SF4000 and didn't quite perform as well, although it wasn't far off. Their polishes have the same color, consistency and smell as the Menzerna stuff, although I don't think it is simply re-labelled, but probably reformulated. Their local pricing was way off the mark though.

I will PM you a link to the local forum where I posted the review so you can check it out if you want

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    i always look forward to your write-ups, excellent job as usual Lawrence! you've always proven what the Flex can do in the right hands and your skills help too...
    Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Excellent work as usual Lawrence!
    Thank you Frank

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    Amazing work as always!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Thank you