autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DetailedByPrecision: Repeat Customer Prius Hacked up after body shop repairs. San Francisco Auto Detailing

Customer had some body work done to the quarter panel and rear bumper after he got into an accident. He dropped by to get some work done on the car and told me he noticed some defects mostly on the quarter panel and wanted me to inspect it. We found out the quarter panel was sanded with most likely 1000 or 1200 grit sanding discs and a half ass polish job leaving behind a lot of holograms and swirls and sanding marks and dirts. The rear bumper looked like a spot repair and shot clear over the rest of the bumper. Bumper was in same condition as the quarter panel but much more dirts on the surface of the paint. After informing the customer what was going on with the paint we settled on an Enhancement Package along with a 2 step for the quarter panel and rear bumper to correct the defects.

Started with a thorough wash and decontaminate

auto-detailing-san-francisco-Detailed-By-Precision by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Documenting defects and anything else that stands out. In this case burned paint on edge of the door by the body shop

From here on out, sanding marks, dirts, swirls, holograms being corrected

Deep scratches on soft clear and plastic bumper

Used 1500 grit to 3000 grit for sanding scratches. Boss Correcting Cream & Carpro Reflect with G21 & 3inch DA

Couple finished pics

I enjoyed working on this one because expectations are high with repeat customers and I have to uphold to those same expectations every single time. When a car is already clean, it's much harder to make it look cleaner versus a completely trashed car coming in for the first time. The car is now back to how it was before the accident and looking good. The customer was happy with the outcome and so was I. Thank you for viewing and feel free to ask any questions or leave feedback.

DetailedByPrecision
    Premium Automotive Detailing
    Serving San Francisco Bay Area

Click on image to view work

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DetailedByPrecision: Repeat Customer Prius Hacked up after body shop repairs. San Francisco Auto Detailing

Very nice Limny. What LSP did you put on it? Also, we need to try and get another Detail day again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DetailedByPrecision: Repeat Customer Prius Hacked up after body shop repairs. San Francisco Auto Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, beautiful workmanship mate.

Although careless work like this is job security for us detailers, it really is a shame that some people are happy enough to do this to someone else's property. I'm seeing it more & more nowadays, & lately I have been guilty of questioning myself on the point of doing what I do.

Anyway, superb work correcting that mess, & good for you for earning the trust of your clientele.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

btw, what pads did you use with your BOSS G21?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great. Awesome fixes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You really handled those defects in the paint with precision Limny! Well done.

Thanks for taking the time to put the thread together and share.

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Very nice Limny. What LSP did you put on it? Also, we need to try and get another Detail day again.
    thanks Don. I ran out of BFWD, so i used the new Jescar formula powerlock. Goes on and off easy like BFWD. Very slick as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Yep, beautiful workmanship mate.

Although careless work like this is job security for us detailers, it really is a shame that some people are happy enough to do this to someone else's property. I'm seeing it more & more nowadays, & lately I have been guilty of questioning myself on the point of doing what I do.

Anyway, superb work correcting that mess, & good for you for earning the trust of your clientele.

Aaryn NZ.
    thanks AAryn. He's very knowledgeable as well so a challenge right from the start. But I like customers like this. They appreciate it more.

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    btw, what pads did you use with your BOSS G21?
    I was able to use a LC orange pad to remove the defects after refining with 3000 grit. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Looks great. Awesome fixes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Matt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    You really handled those defects in the paint with precision Limny! Well done.

Thanks for taking the time to put the thread together and share.
    Hey Mike. Thanks. Been a lot busier lately with spring started. Hope you're doing well.

Click on image to view work

Post Thanks / Like

great job!!! Very nice save! I bet that customer was ecstatic!!
    17 Tucson | 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP | 89 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10

@TheRealPolisher on FaceBook | @green2kgt on IG

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Cg6LeMoN

Customer had some body work done to the quarter panel and rear bumper after he got into an accident. He dropped by to get some work done on the car and told me he noticed some defects mostly on the quarter panel and wanted me to inspect it.

We found out the quarter panel was sanded with most likely 1000 or 1200 grit sanding discs and a half ass polish job leaving behind a lot of holograms and swirls and sanding marks and dirts. The rear bumper looked like a spot repair and shot clear over the rest of the bumper. Bumper was in same condition as the quarter panel but much more dirts on the surface of the paint.

After informing the customer what was going on with the paint we settled on an Enhancement Package along with a 2 step for the quarter panel and rear bumper to correct the defects.

For everyone reading this into the future, the ABOVE is an example of why you want to have a few different "packages" to offer to your customer. You insect the car and then match your services (which means one of your packages) to the car and the customer. This starts with inspecting the car and then discussion the condition and known issues with the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cg6LeMoN

Documenting defects and anything else that stands out. In this case burned paint on edge of the door by the body shop

Hope you don't mind but I downloaded your pictures from Flickr and then resized the original to 800 pixels wide.

Then cropped out the major focus of the picture, the burn through and resized what was left over to 800 pixels wide

And then flipped the cropped image 90 degrees to the left to display the burn-through horizontally instead of vertically.

So for everyone reading this into the future, when someone is talking about how someone BURNED THROUGH the paint when using a rotary buffer, this is what it looks like.

Rotary Buffer Burn Through or Strike Through

Notice this happened on an edge?

When using a rotary buffer you create a lot of heat very fast if the surface of the spinning pad is focused to a small area like an edge. When this happens, the paint is heated up and the combination of heat plus abrasion will quickly remove paint and after that the only fix is to re-paint.

Rotary buffers are great tools but you do have to be careful when using one and focus on the task at hand.