autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Competition Ready - The Backyard Edition

First of all, I want to thank the forum members here for their helpful advice and recommendations. I wouldn't have been able to accomplish what I did if it wasn't for you, Mike and his how-to videos/books and what I've learned from watching the show.

Now, some background info so you guys will know how this adventure started:

Back at the end of February, I purchased a new 2017 Buick Enclave - by far, the nicest car I've ever owned. On March 1st, we got hit with a massive freak hail storm and my 'baby' got pelted. Over $4k in damages. Some of the dents were ad big as a grapefruit... I was beyond sick

Bodyshop did a fantastic job of eliminating all of the numerous dents and through just luck didn't have to repaint anything or replace any panels except all the chrome. I truly can't find a single dent anywhere. I'm now a HUGE fan of PDR! (This was my first experience with it.)

Fast forward a couple days when the sun finally came out and I discovered I got the deluxe body-shop-installed swirl option as a value added bonus. Every panel was swirled to high heaven and I also got a 2ft x 1ft hologram right in the middle of my hood

Competition Ready - The Backyard Edition-img_0763_zpszwvag7db-jpg

Realizing they wouldn't have a clue how to fix the mess they made or they wouldn't have made it in the first place, I came here after a series of Google searches trying to find out how to fix it myself. I was a complete and TOTAL newbie and haven't done anything other than hand wash and wax my cars before. You guys were AWESOME!

So, after spending weeks researching, reading two of Mike's books and acquiring products - since I had basically nothing - I took last week off work. Setup a 'party' tent in my back yard (since I have zero shade) and decided to see if I could replicate the miracles I see Mike, AJ and crew perform on the show each week.

Started at 5am Monday morning and worked till 10pm Monday night. Through multiple quick rain showers, etc. At this point I only had everything washed, clayed and taped.

Competition Ready - The Backyard Edition-img_0798_zpsggwxlfph-jpg

Tuesday started again at 5am. Had to rewash (Wolfgang Waterless Wash) and figure out how to fix the hackjob.

Looks like Sonax EX 04-06 on an Orange Lake Country CCS with a Flex 3401 is the magic combination to make the swirlfest go away.

About halfway through polishing, we got hit with another massive thunderstorm. This one came with downpours and 50mph winds (Keep in mind I'm working out in the open under a 15x20 party tent!) There was also pea size hail about three miles from me. I was expecting my tent to go flying any minute but the stakes held.

About two hours later, when the winds finally calmed down (it's still raining), and I go back out. Time for waterless wash #2. (At this point it may not be perfect but it's is definitely the cleanest car in town! lol)

I get all of the polishing completed around 8pm Tuesday night and then covered everything in Sonax Polymer NetShield and my wheels/tires with McKee's 37 Wheel/Tire Coatings. (It's STILL raining.)

Finally get everything done around 10:45pm. (At this point I'm working by 'yard light')

Wednesday morning I get the SUV back in front of the house -- It's drenched from the rain which blew in after I called it quits the night before. I end up doing a two bucket wash with Wolfgang Auto Bathe and getting everything dried with a Guzzler.

I can honestly say it's NEVER looked as good as it does now... even right out of the showroom. Totally scratch and swirl free and the shine is blinding.

Competition Ready - The Backyard Edition-img_0806_zpsduwo4xvo-jpgCompetition Ready - The Backyard Edition-img_0807_zpsiashyw1s-jpg
    Competition Ready - The Backyard Edition-image2_zps9exsfogu-jpgCompetition Ready - The Backyard Edition-img_0805_zpspeqtiqee-jpg

This entire experience has been rewarding but extremely humbling. I don't know how you guys that do this day in and day out for a living do it and do it for the prices you charge. I never realized what actually went into doing something like this to do it and do it correctly.

I'd also like to offer kudo's to Mike and his folks. You make it look SOOOO easy and none of this would have been possible without the knowledge I gained from watching your videos and the show.

My sincerest and heartfelt thanks to everyone.

Mike Phillips

Re: Competition Ready - The Backyard Edition

Awesome post!

It's only Monday but I vote best post of the week award!

Post Thanks / Like

You did a great job. Congratulations.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys.... Thank you both. It means a lot.

At several points during the process I felt totally overwhelmed. However, I knew it was entirely up to me to get it right since I have no local professionals that do this type of thing other than the folks who caused the mess I was fixing. The encouragement from the forum members was amazing.

Mike Phillips,
    If it wouldn't of been for your videos, the show and your books I would have never been able to do this. You're truly exceptional at what you do. Though I don't know how you can do this each and every day... I ache in places I didn't think could ache

I did however get the ultimate reward this morning when I returned to the office. All of my coworkers were CONVINCED that I replaced my SUV... saying it can't be the same one because it's a different color! (After polishing it turned into a much more vibrant and bright red.)

I actually had to pull out the bill of sale with the VIN before they'd believe me.

One interesting tidbit I learned while polishing....

I originally tried Sonax EX 04-06 on a white CCS pad. Didn't really do anything for the swirlfest but I ended up with a pink pad face.... I was stunned.... how the @#$?

Having learned from the show that single stage paint comes off on pads and that clear coat doesn't I was shocked. I KNEW my vehicle was clear coated but couldn't figure out what was happening and I didn't think I could have gone through the clearcoat THAT easy.

After a little research and a frantic call to my selling dealer I learned that my Enclave isn't 'exactly' Crimson Red... it's Crimson Red Tintcoat. Apparently the clearcoat isn't clear. (Who knew! lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely brilliant!

Great job first of all, looks pretty sweet to me. Props to you for for keeping on keeping on, although not life threatening, it's sure as heck frustrating but hey, you made light of it with a thoroughly enjoyable post & shared it with us.

Great work, great thinking (about the bodyshop not fixing) great attitude, fantastic post, thank you.

Now . . . what are you ordering next?

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Absolutely brilliant!

Now . . . what are you ordering next?

Aaryn NZ.

Lol... McKee's 37 Hydro Blue.... Figured it would add substantial protection every couple washes with minimal effort....AND a detailing-on-the-go kit to keep in the back in the even someone (or some bird) decides to mess up all my hard work.

I'm working on signs for when it goes to the dealer for servicing. If they even DARE to try and wash it there will be a murder!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work and write up! Keep up the good work!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Looks awesome buddy! Keep up the great work.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic work, even better story behind it. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Great Job! And keep posting.

My experience is similar to yours. I became interested in detailing last year after purchasing a BMW 650iX GC in Black Sapphire Metallic. Never had a black car before. I started by devouring Mike's book "Show Car Shine" and started my shopping addiction at Autogeek. I had no idea what it took to make a black car even 90%. Without the help from this forum and Mike's book I would still be washing my car with Dawn and a truck brush.

Again, thanks for the post.