autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The End of an Era - 2015 Chevy Suburban - Paint Correction & Coating - My Last Detail at Attention to Detailing

My "What We've Been Up To in 2016" thread got a lot of great attention, and a couple of people had wished us well in 2017... I had debated posting this information at the time, but I think it is worth sharing...

As some of you may know, my family and I decided to make some changes in 2017. On March 1st, we moved back home to the St. Louis area to be closer to our families. We wanted our son (and future kids) to be close to their grandparents. With the decision to leave Peoria, I decided to sell my business to my long time friend who had been working with me for the past 4 years and is responsible for a lot of the results I have shared over the years.

At this time I have no intentions of starting up any sort of detailing business in the St. Louis area. It is time to redirect my focus back towards family, and perhaps enjoy some normal, work-free weekends for once. I absolutely loved my detailing work, and my journey as a professional detailer changed me in so many excellent ways, but at the end of the day there just simply wasn't enough time in the day to maintain a full time engineering career, grow a small business, spend time with my family, and have any sort of social life. For now, I will return to "obsessed enthusiast" status and hope to continue to add value to the detailing community without being labeled a true professional.

I do intend to remain involved in the detailing world through my own product testing/experimentation, detailing/upkeep of my personal vehicles, forum participation, and keeping in touch with some of the local professionals in this area. For those who might be wondering, Detailed Image has asked me to continue producing content for their Ask-A-Pro Blog as time allows, so I am happy to be able to continue doing that.

Anyway... here are some photos of my last job as a professional detailer from earlier this year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This 2015 Chevy Suburban was recently acquired by the current owner, and the paint had seen better days. After discussing the extent of the damage with the owner, we determined that a multi-step paint correction process would best meet his specific expectations. He also wanted to have the paint, plastic, glass, and wheels protected with various nano coating options.

I apologize as I do not recall the exact process and products used as this was many months ago, nor do I have many photos to share, but these few should allow you to see the awesome enhancement that was made.

Wash: Meguiar's Hyperwash
    Decontamination: Tarminator, IronX, and Nanoskin Mitt w/ Glide for Lubrication
    Paint Correction (x2): Griot's Garage Fast Correcting Cream on Microfiber Cutting Pads via Rupes LHR15 MKII, LHR21 MKII, and LHR75e
    Polishing: Meguiar's M205 on LC White Polishing Pads via Rupes LHR15 MKII, LHR21 MKII, and LHR75e
    Prep Solvent: CarPro Eraser
    Paint Coating: CarPro CQuartz Finest
    Glass Coating: CarPro FB30
    Wheel Coating: GTechniq C5
    Plastic Coating: CarPro DLUX
    Tire Dressing: CarPro PERL

This was a 3 step correction process... the first cutting step removed the vast majority of defects, leaving only some of the deeper, straight line scratches. Another cutting step was then performed to level almost all of these deeper defects, however the surface was left quite hazy. The clarity was then restored with a fine finishing polish.

The crew: Myself, Nick (helper), Matt (new owner), Nathan (helper)
    You can follow along with Matt's work on Instagram @theglossdoctor and on the Attention to Detailing Facebook Page.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The End of an Era - 2015 Chevy Suburban - Paint Correction & Coating - My Last Detail at Attention to Detailing

Congratluations Zach and best wishes in your future endeavors. I've enjoyed all your details and posts over the years.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The End of an Era - 2015 Chevy Suburban - Paint Correction & Coating - My Last Detail at Attention to Detailing

Been following you for a while and learned quite a bit from you. Best of luck!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy retirement Zach.. much to be said of slowing down and taking stock of what is truly important in life.. Family. Wish you and the family all the best.

Post Thanks / Like

All the best to you Zach and Matt, we look forward to updates from both of you
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck dude. Always love reading your articles and posts.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish you a smooth transition from professional detailer to hobbyist. Enjoy continuing the engineering career

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

best of luck to you and the family!

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you Zach. Enjoy the additional time with your family.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a great move to spend more time with your family. You've always done amazing work Zach and provided lots of info and insight to the detailing community. Thanks for that.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast