autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2008 Cayman S with Feynlab Self Heal Lite

This car needed some work. At 9 years old, it was overdue to say the least. He chose Feynlab`s Self Heal Lite which is a smart move for long lasting protection. I was pulling the wheels too, which also took longer than I thought. Let`s see the transformation on this little hottie.

Here it is as it arrived:

First up was to do the wheels. The barrels and faces were first cleaned with Tarminator and a Daytona brush. That was followed by Zep Citrus and another Daytona using HD Pink Soap. The tires were cleaned with Zep 505. The wells were cleaned with LA Totally Awesome. They were filthy and were taking longer than usual, even for dirty ones.

The car was then foamed and washed with Pink soap. (Got a 5 gal pail and love it). It was then clayed with Riccardo blue. This is what the true condition of the paint was:

The front part had a paint film on it. The condition of it was terrible:

Next it was time to pull the wheels. I had to go at the barrels with more Tarminator as the brush could only do so much when the wheels are on the car. I gave the barrels and faces a quick hand polish with M205 and a mf. I followed that with DG Squeaky Clean to make sure the chemicals that Tarminator leaves behind were removed. Finally a quick shot of Eraser and they were ready to coat. The barrels got coated with DLux and the faces with Feynlab Wheel & Caliper. Speaking of caliper, it was hand cleaned with Tarminator followed by SC and then coated with Feynlab. The plastic wells were cleaned with ONR and then coated with DLux once dry. Upon replacing the wheel and prior to lowering the car down, the tires were shot with Opti Bond via an air gun. The wheels were then torqued back to spec. Here`s a wheel after being coated:

Now it was time to play with the paint. The paint on this car had heavy swirls as you could see above. This panel was the worst for scratches:

I jumped at the chance to try my TLC compound again, combined with 3401 + 3D black wool. Good news/Bad news. The good news is that the combo removed the defects, the bad news is that it left the surface hazy. I knew it was soft paint, because that never happens with me using that combo. I tried several other pad/polish combos, but none removed the defects and left the surface the way I wanted it. After some trial and error, I used the burgandy Megs pad + CarPro Reflect for the 2nd stage. That was the "aha" moment in correcting the paint. Funny, as it is usually after using the compound, but again with the soft paint. I then used a 3rd step of M205 + white LCC pad. Now I had it the way I wanted it!

I tried a few different things to polish the PPF, but to no avail. I did not go really aggressive with it as it was not worth the risk of damaging it. So be it. I coated the PPF, head and tail lights with Feynlab Ceramic and not the Heal Lite. I also coated under the wing with Ceramic too. The windshield was coated with Fly By Forte and the rest of the glass with Fly By 30. The exhaust tips were hand polished with 0000 steel wool + M205 and a mf and were coated with DLux. The wiper cowl was also coated with DLux. The paint was coated with Heal Lite. Here it is getting its suntan after being worked on for 21.5 hours:

It was late in the day so I had to go to the end of my street to get any direct light. Here she is all done:

Bad Scuff area touched up fairly well:

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2008 Cayman S with Feynlab Self Heal Lite

Awesome save my friend. I can't wait to get a free weekend to use my Feynlab stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks brand new!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Awesome save my friend. I can't wait to get a free weekend to use my Feynlab stuff.
    Thanks Don; you're gonna love it! Any questions, text me at 519-965-5911.

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Looks brand new!
    Thanks kindly!

Post Thanks / Like

Beautifully done Richy, that is some turn around for sure.

I guess for a nine year old car it wasn't in too bad-a-condition, well at least it looks as if it is driven. The results are phenomenal, seriously looks as good, if not better than new! Your client must've been absolutely stoked. I do like the Cayman, & I like the fact that a nice secondhand one is affordable down here . . . just gotta figure out how to get the childs seat in there!

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I expect to hear more from you both on how Fenlab holds up & performs.

Super work Richy, outstanding. Thanks for sharing.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Another shining example of your work, Richy. Glad you got some shining sun to show it off too!

Post Thanks / Like

Well done! She's a beauty again...

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Beautifully done Richy, that is some turn around for sure.

I guess for a nine year old car it wasn't in too bad-a-condition, well at least it looks as if it is driven. The results are phenomenal, seriously looks as good, if not better than new! Your client must've been absolutely stoked. I do like the Cayman, & I like the fact that a nice secondhand one is affordable down here . . . just gotta figure out how to get the childs seat in there!

I expect to hear more from you both on how Fenlab holds up & performs.

Super work Richy, outstanding. Thanks for sharing.

Aaryn NZ.
    Aaryn, Thanks very much Sir! I've got Self Heal Lite on the front of my Lincoln. So far, so very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    Another shining example of your work, Richy. Glad you got some shining sun to show it off too!
    Thanks kindly Paul for both the comment and for taking the time to do so! It was forecasted to rain, so I got lucky. After all the work into that car, I really wanted it to be sunny to photograph it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Well done! She's a beauty again...

ScottH
    Thank you Scott, I appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work!

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast