autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First 2bm/decontaminate on the big truck (3 hours!)

Hey guys,

Temperature was a sweltering 45F today, so i decided I had to wash the truck.

I picked it up on December 21st and it now has just under 2000 miles on it.

I took it to the self wash and sprayed off the heavy grime.

Then I washed it (2BM with WG Auto Bath), rinsed, Iron-X'd it, washed it again using the Clay mitt and a bunch of suds.
    Rinsed it, did a quick wash on the tires and running boards.
    Washed the windows and called it a day!

3 hours and it looks Better. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so I plan on giving it a quick bath on Tuesday morning, then cleanse the paint with WG perfekt paint prep then apply the WGDGPS 3.0.

Wednesday, I'll polish the glass with McKees restorer then Glass coating.
    If I still have any energy after that, I'll clean/protect the tonneau cover.

Holy mackerel, next time I spend this much $$ on a vehicle, it's gonna be a tiny 2 seater that has about 1/5th the surface area!!!

Here is a before and a couple after pictures. Note, the white patches in the foreground is SNOW not SUDS!

Before (couple days ago):

During:

After:

Just a little snow left in the last picture.

BTW: The Iron-X found a good amount of Iron in the paint!

Thanks for looking,
    AJ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First 2bm/decontaminate on the big truck (3 hours!)

Looks good! A lot of truck to clean there my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

3 hrs, you must have been running. That truck makes me tired just thinking about your cleaning process. Isn't Iron-X fun. Was the most satisfying feeling watching my white paint "bleed" for the first time. How much iron x did that beast require?

That 3/4 or 1 ton truck has a great look. I'm so used to seeing diesels with 6 months worth of mud and salt caked on them. Or a license plate so caked gunk that you can't read it from 3 feet away.

Are you going to use a power washer in the summer? Seems a PW would save time on such a big rig.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I was going about as fast as I could. Carrying all the rinse water from inside.

It's a 1 ton. I have a Power Washer, but this truck will rarely get its feet off the pavement, so will just use a Foam Gun.

I'll be installing a hose bib with soft water. My other hose bibs are all direct well water and are great at making water spots.

I used almost 1/2 bottle of Iron-X !

With any luck I'll be able to get it sealed sometime this week.

AJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
    Thanks, I was going about as fast as I could. Carrying all the rinse water from inside.

It's a 1 ton. I have a Power Washer, but this truck will rarely get its feet off the pavement, so will just use a Foam Gun.

I'll be installing a hose bib with soft water. My other hose bibs are all direct well water and are great at making water spots.

I used almost 1/2 bottle of Iron-X !

With any luck I'll be able to get it sealed sometime this week.

AJ

Good idea on using the softened water. 1/2 bottle of iron-x is a good job of conserving product. I used that much on my Sienna. Foam gun will probably be a lot less hassle if it isn't being dragged through the mud. Good luck with WG's sealant. I haven't tried it, but have heard nothing but good reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good! That is a lot of paintwork/area to cover!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I did the 'baggie' test today and it felt pretty bad. So I picked up some Maguires clay/lube and clayed my truck.

It is a lot smoother now. I 'think' it looks better, but it may just be my way of convincing myself I'm not wasting time ! haha
    The clay did pick stuff from the surface, it had a slightly darker tint every time I finished a panel, I then re-folded it to get clean clay.
    I've never used clay before and am grateful for the great videos that Mike has put on this site (not to mention all the support the members give each other here on the forum!).

Regardless, if the weather holds, I'll re-wash and then try to get the WGDGPS sealant on it, looks like it will be lower humidity and no rain for the rest of the week.

AJ

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

I washed again today (to remove any claying residue from yesterday). Then prepped the paint with WG Perfekt paint cleaner. Then sealed it with WGDGPS.

I feel a bit like the Karate Kid!

I then wiped all the plastic trim with WG Trim protectant.

Looks like cold weather tomorrow and rain starting Wed so I'll have to wait a week or so to do the tires, fenders and tonneau cover.

The truck is looking great, I'm done for the day it's 42F outside with 21-30mph gusts.

I'll have a garage to work in someday!

AJ

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks good! And i know your pain with a large vehicle, almost makes me laugh anytime i hear/see somebody complain about detailing a car.

These are my 2 daily drivers/work trucks, full time job if i want to keep them along with our equipment clean. Luckily i have a large heated shop to work in when i need it, just have to drive 20 miles to use it. We have plans to build a new shop here at home with a heated floor and i'll be putting a dedicated wash and detail bay in!

Jimmy
    2014 F-250, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD, 2001 F-450, 1997 F-250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD3020 View Post
    Looks good! And i know your pain with a large vehicle, almost makes me laugh anytime i hear/see somebody complain about detailing a car.

These are my 2 daily drivers/work trucks, full time job if i want to keep them along with our equipment clean. Luckily i have a large heated shop to work in when i need it, just have to drive 20 miles to use it. We have plans to build a new shop here at home with a heated floor and i'll be putting a dedicated wash and detail bay in!

Dayton eh? Hey that's only 4+ hours from here! Get that shop built!!!! haha

BTW: nice trucks, my last truck was a F250 PowerStroke, I only put 240k+ miles on it before I decided it was time for a new one!

Thanks,
    AJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast