autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Neice's Car

Post Thanks / Like

Neice's Car

Had a couple neices come stay with us for a little while. I asked if they wanted to learn some of what I do, and they were all for it.
    The car is a 2010 GT. The paint hasn't been maintained well. Bumpers need a repaint and it has a lot of little chips. It has only received infrequent cleanings and usually at their local touch-less wash.
    I ran them through the processes. It was their first time to use a da. Had them use Menzerna heavy cut 400. I didn't have them mess with a polishing step because I knew it wouldn't be maintainted to that level. They restored the plastics with solution finish, and coated the exterior with McKee's paint, wheel, tire, and glass coatings.

The strip in the middle is the condition it came. Sorry, I'm bad about not stopping to take pics when I have a job in front of me so this is all I took.

And the finished product. Not too bad for a couple first timers.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Neice's Car

that's pretty awesome that they were all ears and wanting to learn. i bet they have a new appreciation for detailing...

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. They were great to work with! Ya, I think it did open their eyes to doing more than washing, vacuuming, and a coat of wax. They also pointed out the paint damage from not taking care of it, and the moisture and dirt being held in the crevices from all the live oak leaves that have been piling up.
    After the 2nd day, one of them brought up how long it would take for me to have done the job alone. Granted it would be the same amount of time because I work faster and I wouldn't need to stop to show or explain, but they got the point.

The real challenge will be if they maintain the finish. Unfortunately, I know my sister won't maintain it once my neice heads to school and leaves the car at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool that you gave them that opportunity and obviously don't assume they can't handle it or won't be interested. They're now one big step ahead of 90% of car owners.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work and glad to hear that they learned what it takes to make a vehicle look the way it should! Paint looks nice!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Good story and that Mustang looks cool. Hopefully they will keep up on the maintenance details.

I've never tried Fg400 as a one step, it does finish awesome for as much cut it has.

Post Thanks / Like

If you slow down and do the last few passes with almost no pressure FG400 will finish better.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.