autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DetailedByPrecision: 2016 Golf R New Car Prep & Protection Service. Owner is a detailing enthusiast. San Francisco Auto Detailing

This customer found me on Yelp and sent me a message about his newly acquired 2016 Golf R. He wanted to make it look better than when he accepted the car from the dealer. I sent a message back and we talked on the phone a bit to discuss about what can be done/will be done to it to meet his expectations. During our conversation, I got a good feel that he was not your typical car owner who drives from point a to point b. He was a detailing enthusiast as well who also details and takes care of his own cars. Not to mention he has some of the products I use as well and is familiar with the current new products from the auto detailing industry. After our conversation, I had him come in for an estimate so we can further discuss the game plan for his car. When I met Paul in person he asked very specific questions regarding products/processes, but not only that he also wanted to know my opinion about controversial topics within the detailing industry as well. I went over the car with Paul and we settled on the new car prep & protection service which includes wash, decon, clay, polish to swirl free finish, and settled upon a paint sealant instead of a paint coating. Paul dropped off his car on the day of the appointment and off he went anticipating the results of the outcome.

Started off with exhaust tips, and wheels (applied hydro for protection), wash, decon, claybar.

DetailedByPrecision3631 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3632 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3612 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3613 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3614 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3623 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3636 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3633 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Paul also provided me with some goodies to play with. Claybar was some of the stuff he provided

DetailedByPrecision3639 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3640 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

After the decon the true defects revealed itself. One of Paul's concerns were waterspots on the roof. I also found waterspots covering the whole hood as well. I used Carpro Spotless to chemically remove them. Worked really well.

DetailedByPrecision3651 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3659 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Waterspots gone

DetailedByPrecision3662 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Random scuffs and scratches here and there

DetailedByPrecision3653 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3658 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Paint was on the harder side but really easy to work with and finished down incredibly easy. Used D300, Menz 203, G21, 3inch DA

DetailedByPrecision3669 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

But before polishing the car I did some pre polishing detective work and took some paint readings first. Most of the car was from high 80s-low 100s microns, but some areas were in low 70s and I marked them as a reminder. Mostly both sides of hood, and both top sides of quarter panels above both windows.

DetailedByPrecision3650 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3648 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3649 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Went around the whole car including the soft black mirrors and pillars. D300, Menz203, Essence

DetailedByPrecision3675 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3676 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3673 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3674 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Found a severe etching on the edge of the rear bumper. Had to wetsand with 2500 grit

DetailedByPrecision3677 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3678 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3680 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Finished pics of the car completed

DetailedByPrecision3683 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecison370 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3698 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3699 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3697 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3694 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing guys. Appreciate and feedback or questions or comments. Customer was happy with the outcome and complimented it looked better than new.
    Total time: 20hrs.
    What I learned from this job:
    Gloss black wheels hide dirt really well. Need to keep recleaning until absolutely sure it's clean
    Gloss black pillars will always be a pain even if you think you got a system down for it
    the gloss black accents on the rear hatch, gloss black rear diffuser, and underneath spoiler took longer than expected polishing by hand

Click on image to view work

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DetailedByPrecision: 2016 Golf R New Car Prep & Protection Service. Owner is a detailing enthusiast. San Francisco Auto Detailing

Nicely done

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DetailedByPrecision: 2016 Golf R New Car Prep & Protection Service. Owner is a detailing enthusiast. San Francisco Auto Detailing

Looks great. Love the color.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks incredible my friend!

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing work and write-up Limny!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work.

Stunning car, nice colour too. Big fan of the Golf (not huge on the Mk3) & I would love a GTi in white someday. Superb write up, pictures & workmanship mate, thank you for sharing.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Splendid job!

Even your fanatic customer will be totally satisfied. And he is probably capable of washing it properly so it will still look great when he brings it back for any upkeep in a few months or a year or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job Limny. Those b pillars look phenomenal. We gotta meet up one these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Now THAT's how that car should look out of the gate! Kudos!
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Really sharp! Job well done.

It's gotta feel nice knowing that when it left your hands it was going to a home where your hard work will be cared for and maintained, not just un-done 2 weeks later by a beater brush car wash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast