autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches

Hey guys, how are you?

This one was a tremendous job...and a great transofrmation.
    This car, a 2010 BMW 335 in prestine conditions came to our studio few months ago for a full detail and coating (body, leather, wheels and glass). If you want to check the pics, please follow this link.

At the time (October 2016), when we detailed the whole car, the scratches on all windows were not bothering the owner but now they were. So he brought the car back just to have all glasses polished. Seems that the previous owner used steel wool to clean up the windows and it scratched...a lot...all glasses, including sun roof.

The polishing kit from CarPRO turned out to be a great tool. We mainly used the 3" pads on a Rupes Bigfoot 75...we tried other machines and bigger pads but no luck, they were polishing but also scratching the glass...very fine swirl marks. It takes much more time to correct defects on glass than on paintwork. It took us 2 days to polish all windows. It is a very very time consuming task and there are no cutting corners...take your time.

First: Clean thoroughly all glasses, inside and outside and protect all trims.

BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches-img_5542-jpg BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches-img_5543-jpg BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches-img_5544-jpg

Work small sections. More pressure than you would apply to polish paintwork. Always keep the glass lubricated with wather...do not let the compound dry out, otherwise the temperature will go up quickly and you'll scratch the glass.

BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches-img_5545-jpg BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches-img_5549-jpg BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches-img_5554-jpg

Before / After

BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches-img_5555-jpg BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches-img_5559-jpg

On the video below, we put a masking tape on the rear window to do a 50/50...I also finger pointed where the tape was for reference. The scraches were very fine and hard to capture with my phone camera.

https://youtu.be/xH2VJNv9PwA

Final inspection

https://youtu.be/N0PC8mtmgwk

Hope you guys like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches

Nicely done

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches

Quote Originally Posted by vinharski View Post
    Hey guys, how are you?

This one was a tremendous job...and a great transofrmation.
    This car, a 2010 BMW 335 in prestine conditions came to our studio few months ago for a full detail and coating (body, leather, wheels and glass). If you want to check the pics, please follow this link.

At the time (October 2016), when we detailed the whole car, the scratches on all windows were not bothering the owner but now they were. So he brought the car back just to have all glasses polished. Seems that the previous owner used steel wool to clean up the windows and it scratched...a lot...all glasses, including sun roof.

The polishing kit from CarPRO turned out to be a great tool. We mainly used the 3" pads on a Rupes Bigfoot 75...we tried other machines and bigger pads but no luck, they were polishing but also scratching the glass...very fine swirl marks. It takes much more time to correct defects on glass than on paintwork. It took us 2 days to polish all windows. It is a very very time consuming task and there are no cutting corners...take your time.

First: Clean thoroughly all glasses, inside and outside and protect all trims.

BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches-img_5542-jpg BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches-img_5543-jpg BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches-img_5544-jpg

Work small sections. More pressure than you would apply to polish paintwork. Always keep the glass lubricated with wather...do not let the compound dry out, otherwise the temperature will go up quickly and you'll scratch the glass.

BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches-img_5545-jpg BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches-img_5549-jpg BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches-img_5554-jpg

Before / After

BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches-img_5555-jpg BMW 335 - Glass polishing (CARPRO Glass Polishing Kit) :: Steel wool scratches-img_5559-jpg

On the video below, we put a masking tape on the rear window to do a 50/50...I also finger pointed where the tape was for reference. The scraches were very fine and hard to capture with my phone camera.

https://youtu.be/xH2VJNv9PwA

Final inspection

https://youtu.be/N0PC8mtmgwk

Hope you guys like it.
    Steel wool doesn't scratch glass unless he used the the wrong grade.oooo fine steel wool is whats intended for glass and sunroofs.Not recommended for mirrors as it will scratch. Sorry to hear that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Nicely done

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Thanks atgonzales

Post Thanks / Like

wrong grade for sure...not easy to find 0000 steel wool here in Brazil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Steel wool doesn't scratch glass unless he used the the wrong grade.oooo fine steel wool is whats intended for glass and sunroofs.Not recommended for mirrors as it will scratch. Sorry to hear that.
    wrong grade for sure...not easy to find 0000 steel wool here in Brazil

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

0000 will scratch certain windshields! I don't recommend using it, just not worth the risk

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rman5309 View Post
    0000 will scratch certain windshields! I don't recommend using it, just not worth the risk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rman5309 View Post

I would bet you all the money in the world,fine steel wooll doesn't scratch glass.it's used everyday across the country in car dealerships.I've used it on 17000 dollars Honda to 2 million dollar cars.Has to be fine grade and nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like

Polishing glass is a time consuming, and filthy job. It takes an intensive wash to get all the splatter off of the rest of the car. And you have to be extra careful since the "grit" in the glass polish can scratch or marr the paint.
    Is it worth all the trouble?
    You bet it is! Perfect glass is like the cherry on the Hot Fudge Sundae. It makes all the difference.
    I bet the BMW owner was very pleased. Polishing glass is something that should only be done by someone that knows what he is doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast