autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)

Hi guys. My paint is in pretty good shape so I didn't need to do any polishing or paint correction this go around. I applied a coat of Opti-Gloss 2 years ago and its still holding up well since the car is garage kept. I just wanted to give it a little extra protection before the winter kicks in and I can no longer drive/wash it.

Car:
    • 2005 Nissan 350z Enthusiast Edition - Had it since mile 3
    • 6speed, rear wheel drive. Did some work to it, but its still Naturally Aspirated. I have two other cars that are turbo'd. I like the Z just the way it is.
    • Osiris Tune, intake, cat back, high flow cats, plenum spacer
    • Suspension work includes Tein lowering springs, Hotchkis sway bars front and rear, SPL links, Cusco Strut Tower Bar
    • Full JL Audio sound system (components and 2 x 10" subs)w a Pioneer Premier Head unit.
    • Ordered the leather seat covers online and installed myself. Replaced the original cloth seats. Took several days but I love them. They have been on the car for 4 years now. My son picked the colors. He wanted them to match the Brembo brakes.

Here's a list of the tools and products I used:
    • Foam Wash Gun
    • Iron-X
    • Meguiar's Yellow Clay Bar
    • Yellow Car Wash Foam Sponge from Auto Parts Store
    • Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II Super Suds Shampoo
    • Griots Garage Brilliant Finish Car Wash
    • SpeedMaster Wheel Brush
    • OptiCoat OptiSeal
    • Cobra Micro-Fiber Towels - variety
    • Apple iPhone 6S Plus - too lazy to whip out the Nikon, plus didn't want to get it wet

Step 1. - Loosened surface dirt by washing car with Foam Gun and Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II Super Suds Shampoo. I don't have a pressure washer so I have to rely on the pressure of my regular water hose for this step. It doesn't foam up as nice as I wish it did but it does the job. I took some pictures before I started washing to show you guys how the water beads 2 years after applying the Opti-Gloss.

Hood water beading shot 2 years after Opti-Gloss
    Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_1546-jpg

Roof water beading shot 2 years after Opti-Gloss
    Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_1541-jpg

Car getting washed using foam gun and MAXI SUDS II - Profile
    Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_1556-jpg

Washing the wheels using Speed Master Wheel Brush and Griots Garage Brilliant Finish Car Wash. I didn't buy a wheel specific product. I did use Iron-X on them and on the paint and then rinsed off again. Paint didn't produce much purple drip, but the wheels did. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the purple drip.
    Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_154e-jpg

Step 2. - After rinsing the car, I washed it with Griots Garage Brilliant Finish Car Wash using a yellow foam sponge I purchased at a local auto parts store. I keep several of these handy and always open a new one for washing the Z. I did some minor claying on spots that needed it, but it was very minimal.

Step 3. - Dried the car using my Echo Leaf Blower. I use that thing every chance I get. We have a lot of trees in our neighborhood and I'm sure my neighbors think I'm crazy because I'm always out there going after the leaves, LoL. Here are some pictures of the reflections on the car after just washing it.

Hood Reflections
    Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_1550-jpg

Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_1542-jpg

Rear Quarter Panel - Drivers Side
    Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_154d-jpg

Drivers Side - Profile
    Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_1544-jpg

Roof
    Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_1543-jpg

Step 4 - Applied Opti-Seal. I didn't quite follow the instructions here. On my other cars I have applied it using a foam applicator. Here I applied it by spraying directly on the paint and then wiping with a yellow plush micro fiber towel. On my other cars I used the foam applicator and wiped away high spots 5 minutes later. Here I was trying something different. I think it came out ok. Here are the after shots. Even if it didn't add any additional depth to my paint I know that it added a bit of protection.

Hood Shot - after Opti-Seal
    Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_1539-jpg

Roof Shot after Opti-Seal
    Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_154f-jpg

Front of car after Opti-Seal
    Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_154a-jpg

Profile shot after Opti-Seal
    Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_153a-jpg

Interior Shot - wiped down the interior and all windows inside with Opti-Seal
    Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_1536-jpg

Hebi-Bebi Shift Knob
    Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_1535-jpg

Reflection in my garage
    Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_153d-jpg

Well, thats all for this detail. In a week or so, if the weather cooperates, I may add a coat of Collonite 845 but not sure its needed. Could just be that I enjoy doing this too much. Thanks for looking.

W
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_1553-jpg  
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gave my Z a bath before night night (Winter)

Looks good. Getting it ready for hibernation?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post
    Looks good. Getting it ready for hibernation?
    Thanks Ebg18t. Yeah, once the winter hits the car is no good here in NJ. It's rear wheel drive so it gets put away now and doesn't come out again until march or April. My driveway is also on a grade so the car would'nt make it up the driveway even if I tried if there is even a hint of snow or ice, it'll just sit there and fish tail.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Z. I like the offset of the wheels, gives the car a nice stance. And the seats came out great!

- From an owner of an '03 Base and an '07 Enthusiast.

Super Member coles_paint_correction's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice z and great job, reminds me of my cousins he had, there quite fast cars
    and egg shape interiors i liked them.

Post Thanks / Like

Would love a new NIZMO Z!
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

I'm noticing that for some reason the pictures uploaded low resolution. The car and paint really do look better than these pictures show.

Bryan, the seats came out like a factory finish. The leather fits really tight and it's not all loose and wrinkly. I paid a little extra for the better leather and for the inserts to be perforated and the stitching to be orange so it really stands out.

I'm going to try and upload a higher res picture in the sun in the near future. I don't feel the pics I posted are doing my baby justice.

Bigry, it's a quick car for sure. But after driving my CLS I now have a different definition of what fast is

W