autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DetailedByPrecision: Not always about paint correction. Showed a friend how to maintain his Lotus. SF Bay Area Auto Detailing

A longtime and good friend of mine recently acquired a new to him car, which is a 2005 Lotus. He wanted to learn how to clean it up and maintain. I offered him to teach him on a weekend where I was free. He gladly accepted my offer and we set up a day. The car only had a single owner before he bought it so it was in good condition to begin with. After a couple of hours of hard work on his part of course we took it for a drive to get a feel of the car. We took it to some back roads and surprisingly the car's power to weight ratio feels really good. Had a blast and grabbed some food to catch up and parted ways. Onto the pics....

Started with wheels, applying Hydro afterwards

DetailedByPrecision2795 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision2803 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision2799 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Followed with foam, clay, iron X. For protection, applied Hydro to all surfaces

DSC_2809 copy by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DSC_2810 copy by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision2822 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision2812 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision2826 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Applied Wolfgang Trim Sealant to trim pieces as well

DetailedByPrecision2804 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision2840 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision2806 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision2842 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision2853 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Finished pics:

DetailedByPrecision2833 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision2837 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision2836 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision2835 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision2830 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision2843 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision2852 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

What I learned from this detail:

Cannot spray water around rear tail lights. The design of it will allow water to seep through and flood the trunk area.

Thanks if you guys read the whole thread. Any comments or input are always welcomed.

Click on image to view work

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DetailedByPrecision: Not always about paint correction. Showed a friend how to maintain his Lotus. SF Bay Area Auto Detailing

Beautiful work Limny! Nice pictures as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DetailedByPrecision: Not always about paint correction. Showed a friend how to maintain his Lotus. SF Bay Area Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post

Thanks for sharing.
    I agree.

Glad to see you 'sharing the knowledge' with your friend!

Post Thanks / Like

These things are so tiny! Smaller than the Miata! I couldn't believe it when I saw both parked next to each other.

Anyways, thanks for sharing, Limny. And I really appreciate your What I learned from this detail:. Very informative.

ps
    I spy STi wheels.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

The rule Number 1 never use pressure water on the headlights & rear (Porsche, Mercedes, BMW etcetc) all got this quality issues with all their lights as less & less headlights are being made in W. Europe, Japan, UK, USA & most are made in Asia & E. Europe, most after such "wash" will have mist & humidity inside, same like after cleaning the engine & then without drying it completely, after starting the engine humidity will enter headlights even without closing the bonnet.
    I don't go here by car manufacturers logos but if you want to try it & then see a face of a customer after such "detailing" & pretend you are a pro & water in the headlights is a factory mistake, not yours then good luck.
    It looks like left from the front Lotus headlight is misty inside, once it happens you'll not get rid of it, it will always circulate inside. People who got cheap "water resistant" watches know what I am talking about.
    My friend with SLS Brabus showed me once his headlights after by mistake (he said I had a bad feeling don't know what happened with me this day) some guy with dirty pads & such car wash style pressure washer "polished" his Gullwing, there was not only humidity & mist inside the headlights but also dust & dirt.
    The best way to insure yourself is simply not using pressure washer on no lights, front, side, rear (side little lights even from a hand wash can get water drops inside), it's better to make less show & demonstration of skills & talent rather than returning a car with wet-wet-wet looking headlights ( I mean from the inside )

Considering most people are stupid about detailing & don't understand that water CAN enter the lights because car manufacturers save on everything, but instead of explaining that you are smart ass & Porsche headlights are low quality & not hermetic, don't you think it's better to avoid such situation copletely?
    When I detail cars it's always my responsibility, it's me vs a very expensive car & a friend who trust in me, I don't want to be in situation explaining (even if I know he/she will understand) myself why water is inside the lights, I am very careful when it comes to lights because I know how they are being made today, so should you.

Super Member coles_paint_correction's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's cool you guys could buddy it up and have a good time.

Never know you might of got him into or think about it more down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Politur View Post
    The rule Number 1 never use pressure water on the headlights & rear (Porsche, Mercedes, BMW etcetc) all got this quality issues with all their lights as less & less headlights are being made in W. Europe, Japan, UK, USA & most are made in Asia & E. Europe, most after such "wash" will have mist & humidity inside, same like after cleaning the engine & then without drying it completely, after starting the engine humidity will enter headlights even without closing the bonnet.
    I don't go here by car manufacturers logos but if you want to try it & then see a face of a customer after such "detailing" & pretend you are a pro & water in the headlights is a factory mistake, not yours then good luck.
    It looks like left from the front Lotus headlight is misty inside, once it happens you'll not get rid of it, it will always circulate inside. People who got cheap "water resistant" watches know what I am talking about.
    My friend with SLS Brabus showed me once his headlights after by mistake (he said I had a bad feeling don't know what happened with me this day) some guy with dirty pads & such car wash style pressure washer "polished" his Gullwing, there was not only humidity & mist inside the headlights but also dust & dirt.
    The best way to insure yourself is simply not using pressure washer on no lights, front, side, rear (side little lights even from a hand wash can get water drops inside), it's better to make less show & demonstration of skills & talent rather than returning a car with wet-wet-wet looking headlights ( I mean from the inside )

Considering most people are stupid about detailing & don't understand that water CAN enter the lights because car manufacturers save on everything, but instead of explaining that you are smart ass & Porsche headlights are low quality & not hermetic, don't you think it's better to avoid such situation copletely?
    When I detail cars it's always my responsibility, it's me vs a very expensive car & a friend who trust in me, I don't want to be in situation explaining (even if I know he/she will understand) myself why water is inside the lights, I am very careful when it comes to lights because I know how they are being made today, so should you.
    You have an interesting way of offering "helpful" advice...

Maybe try a different tact when attempting to provide criticism.

Or maybe I'm just stupid and don't understand the point you are attempting to make.

In any case most of us are here to learn and receive support from fellow car enthusiasts who share our passion for detailing.

I think the Lotus turned out nice. Thanks for posting Limny!
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

That's the best. Cleaning up a nice car then going out for a ride right after. I'm sure it was a good day all around.

Post Thanks / Like

Great work Limny!!! It's very nice of you to teach your friend on how to detail his car.

How did it drive? Is he planning to bring it to the track?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post

Thanks for sharing.

Mike, appreciate you checking in.

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    I agree.

Glad to see you 'sharing the knowledge' with your friend!

Lawrence, how you been doing lately? Great to see you active again.

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalNoodle View Post
    These things are so tiny! Smaller than the Miata! I couldn't believe it when I saw both parked next to each other.

Anyways, thanks for sharing, Limny. And I really appreciate your What I learned from this detail:. Very informative.

ps
    I spy STi wheels.

It's his weekend car so he's careful about where to park. Glad you learned something as well. He mentioned it to me beforehand so we were good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Politur View Post

An average person might misunderstand you easily based on your approach to reply to topics. But I am not someone with a soft mind and heart. I can handle constructive criticism. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigry18 View Post
    That's cool you guys could buddy it up and have a good time.

Never know you might of got him into or think about it more down the road.

We had a great time taking it on the back road mountains. The motor is from a Celica but the weight of the car helps maintain good ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    You have an interesting way of offering "helpful" advice...

Maybe try a different tact when attempting to provide criticism.

Or maybe I'm just stupid and don't understand the point you are attempting to make.

In any case most of us are here to learn and receive support from fellow car enthusiasts who share our passion for detailing.

I think the Lotus turned out nice. Thanks for posting Limny!

Thanks Badger! Everyone have their own style of expression. Ill just leave it at that and nothing more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    That's the best. Cleaning up a nice car then going out for a ride right after. I'm sure it was a good day all around.

That's how it should be. Get your ride all clean and go out for a spin!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Great work Limny!!! It's very nice of you to teach your friend on how to detail his car.

How did it drive? Is he planning to bring it to the track?

Thanks Marc!! He's more of a mechanic but he understands some basic detailing. The car feels strong and solid even going full throttle uphills.

Click on image to view work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast