autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gyeon Now Available @ Autogeek + 15% Off Sale through Friday Night!

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    As I said elsewhere, it will be hard to restrain.
    Failed...

Sent via my mobile device...

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used this stuff...

I read the copy and everything they make seems to say "up to 1 year of protection"...

Am I the only one not impressed by that?

PBL paint coating is claiming up to 3 years.

Optimum I think is up to 3 years now....

CarPro has always been 2 years +.

Assuming no salt or snow, I think you could get a year out of some Collinite or Duragloss products - at least "up to" a year.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

I read the copy and everything they make seems to say "up to 1 year of protection"...

Assuming no salt or snow, I think you could get a year out of some Collinite or Duragloss products - at least "up to" a year.

I know nothing of the brand and was wondering the same thing. Even McKees 37 Coating states it could last "up to" two years.

Based on my one coating experience, I'll go by the 50% rule: I expect it to last only 50% the length of the manufacturers claim. With that in mind, and "up to" one year product will last roughly six months. That's firmly in territory of many reputable sealants which are far easier to apply, look great, and cost far less. I also noticed the application process of their coatings seems really picky. If you don't wipe it off until 12~24 hours and can't drive the vehicle for 24hrs, that turns a detailing session into a multi-day event. For my daily drivers that's a non-starter. 12 hours isn't a problem, but 24? No way.

I also noticed their Sonax PNS competitor, CanCoat is nearly twice the price for roughly 40% less product. I wonder if it is really that much better?

I hope I don't come across as dismissive of the product line, I'm not. I'm just tossing out my thoughts to add to the conversation and learn more about these products. I could very well be overlooking something due to my ignorance regarding the brand.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

I do.

The manufacturer has no control over how someone touches the paint after the vehicle has been coated. The manufacturer also has no control over how the person applies the coating, whether it's surface prep OR if they actually applied enough product to begin with.

Hence the "up to" for just about any given wax, sealant, coating, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like another quality line for AGO to offer. But the name, it's awful. Anyone know the origin? How do you even pronounce that correctly?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SRConcepts View Post
    Simple answer: shipping costs have increased quite a bit in the past year or so. AG does a lot of shipping with UPS, as does the place I work at, and thanks to places (Amazon in particular) shipping things in needlessly huge boxes (at least 3x the size they need to be), UPS has started to crack down on it. For instance, at my workplace we now have to enter the size of the box when shipping something, and the shipping cost now goes up in correlation with the size versus the old system based on package weight alone. Little things like this add up in the long run, so AG needs some way to offset costs.
    I ordered 3 air conditioning filters from Walmart (free shipping) each filter arrived in its own HUGE box. I was shocked and thought I had ordered the wrong thing. What is up with the oversize boxes? AG is not doing this, but seems to be standard practice for Walmart and Amazon. AG could pack a little better, especially with heavy items. I've had two boxes split open at the bottom when UPS was carrying them to my door. Nothing was broken, but something easily could have. Got to put packing paper on the bottom and top.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaFawnduh View Post
    But the name, it's awful. Anyone know the origin? How do you even pronounce that correctly?
    Does how the name is pronounced really matter ?!?!?!?!?!?

If you're calling, just tell em the new stuff with the G.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    I do.

The manufacturer has no control over how someone touches the paint after the vehicle has been coated. The manufacturer also has no control over how the person applies the coating, whether it's surface prep OR if they actually applied enough product to begin with.

Hence the "up to" for just about any given wax, sealant, coating, etc.

True. But the claims seem rather weak compared to the competition - including the all the PBMG coatings. Also, all manufacturers are up against the same set of circumstances.

So, if one coating is claiming "up to" 1 year and another claiming "up to" 3 years, it would seem to me the "3 year" coating would likely be significantly more durable.

Of course, this is assuming the manufacturers are reputable (I assume they are here).

Just wondering what all fuss is about a 1 year coating. Is something that lasts "up to" one year really even a "coating"? Not sure...

I can recall when the very first coatings hit the states... I recall Opticoat (lifetime) and Cquartz (2years)... Are we going backwards?

Maybe I am just getting cynical in my old age.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the 15% off across the board, store wide, or just these specific products?

Post Thanks / Like

Claims are just that - claims.

There's a predictable degradation of coatings or any last step product. Perhaps claims of protection up to two years are true, but perhaps those claims of protection are simply technically true but hardly effectively true. Maybe Gyeon has determined that reliable protection fades after a year. Maybe their products are inferior. Maybe they are more forthright. Lots of potential reasons why the claims are different. Maybe in the region in which they are most used, that's the lifespan. Could also be true that in other regions, depending upon environment, the lifespan is longer.

Sent via my mobile device...

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast