autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

2002 Logan Coach 2 horse slant load trailer restoration

We purchased this trailer a few months ago and I want to bring the shine back to the paint and aluminum treadplate while still protecting it from the So Cal sun.

I've already completed one fender and two wheels of the aluminium restoration and it come out pretty damn good for my first time working on polished aluminum.

Now for the paint...
    I was planning on using meguiars m105/m205 but from what I understand trailers don't generally use the same paint system as cars and they can be thin.

My thoughts are to try Meguiars cleaner wax and then use the Klassie twins. I picked up McKee's vinyl restorer for the graphics. I also have some sealant that someone gave me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Re: 2002 Logan Coach 2 horse slant load trailer restoration

Looks great!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks awesome.Had a f350 with forged aluminum.We went to the peterbuilt truck store and bought the flanges the polishing bricks and the flannel pads.Wheels came out great better than any retail store products you can buy.We clean them with water only no soap.They etch and fade so easily.Note to self not doing that again.I needed a tyvek suit that's how messy that job is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Looks great!
    Thanks Mike!

Have you heard of the "Exterior Gloss Preserver"? I think it might be from a dealership and their "protectant" add-on items. The bottle says use once a year...

Lastly, would you use the Meguiars Cleaner Wax and klasse twins? Or something else?

I really only want to spend the time to protect the paint once a year as it'll probably take me a whole weekend or two since it'll new hard to keep it out of the sun and it's a lot of square footage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Looks awesome.Had a f350 with forged aluminum.We went to the peterbuilt truck store and bought the flanges the polishing bricks and the flannel pads.Wheels came out great better than any retail store products you can buy.We clean them with water only no soap.They etch and fade so easily.Note to self not doing that again.I needed a tyvek suit that's how messy that job is.
    Thanks!

The aluminum was a lot of work. I used a few different metal polishes to see what did the best. I used a Mothers mini power ball and some 3" foam pads on the wheels and then a 5 1/2" microfiber polishing pad on the treadplate.
    I'm going to try a MF cutting pad on the other treadplate to try and speed up the process as it took probably 4 separate applications to get the oxidation out of the treadplate with the MF polishing pad.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Meg's Cleaner Wax would be a good place to start, but the Klasse twin would probably be fine too.

The Klasse cleaner polish might be slightly less aggressive but Autopia's polishing chart has them both listed at 1 for cut. I always thought the Klasse product was a non abrasive cleaner.

Either way the really light cut of the cleaner wax or AIO shouldn't be too rough on the graphics as long as you don't work over them too long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I think Meg's Cleaner Wax would be a good place to start, but the Klasse twin would probably be fine too.

The Klasse cleaner polish might be slightly less aggressive but Autopia's polishing chart has them both listed at 1 for cut. I always thought the Klasse product was a non abrasive cleaner.

Either way the really light cut of the cleaner wax or AIO shouldn't be too rough on the graphics as long as you don't work over them too long.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I also meant to add that I would choose one or the other.

I believe that the Klasse AIO and the Meg's Cleaner wax would be basically doing the same thing.

Following up the Cleaner Wax with the AIO would possibly remove any protection left from the cleaner wax and most likely wouldn't provide much additional cleaning if the cleaner wax was worked over the surface well.

I'm not sure how good of a topper Klasse Sealant Glaze would be for the cleaner wax.

I think the general consensus is that you can top a wax with a wax, top a sealant with a wax, but topping a wax with a sealant may not provide the best bond for the sealant.

That's if Meg's Cleaner Wax just contains a true wax product for its protection, it very well could be a hybrid wax/sealant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Sorry, I also meant to add that I would choose one or the other.

I believe that the Klasse AIO and the Meg's Cleaner wax would be basically doing the same thing.

Following up the Cleaner Wax with the AIO would possibly remove any protection left from the cleaner wax and most likely wouldn't provide much additional cleaning if the cleaner wax was worked over the surface well.

I'm not sure how good of a topper Klasse Sealant Glaze would be for the cleaner wax.

I think the general consensus is that you can top a wax with a wax, top a sealant with a wax, but topping a wax with a sealant may not provide the best bond for the sealant.

That's if Meg's Cleaner Wax just contains a true wax product for its protection, it very well could be a hybrid wax/sealant
    Yeah I'm Definitely not mixing product types.... it would be the Klasse Twins after a mild correction or a one step product that has long lasting protection. I really only want to spend a weekend a year on this trailer. I'm considering the Meguiars D166 as its supposed to have good correction ability and 1 year protection. I'd just start with a light polishing pad or even a finishing pad to start as light as possible on the correcting side since i don't know anything about the history of the paint. Though I doubt its been corrected.

I have a feeling the aluminum polishing will take me 3-4 hours alone. Its too hot to do the correction/protection now anyways so i have at least couple months to research and get my products lined up.

Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with that material is that its thin.If its dry and oxidized the 105 will not work it will absorb right in the metal.205 maybe iffy as well.That's were test spots are usually performed prior.Ive done 2 of those and used Menzerna 3 in one and topped it with fk1000.Tried collinite but the solvents left it dull.Use what you have and see.What machine will you be using.I used a Ggg6 with a 7inch wool finishing pad.Those can be tricky and finicky to finish out.Lets us know how it turned out.Another great product is technicians choice products.