autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Heavily oxidated motorhome my first big job

Today i got called out to give a quote for a heavily oxidated Motorhome. I did a couple test spots to show what it would come out like, i did 1 spot with Megs rv cleaner wax to show what the 1 stage polish would give and another spot with Megs heavy cut boat and rv followed by the Megs boat and rv cleaner wax. It came out much better than expected in my eyes and in the owners eyes as he called to book an hour after i left.

Here are a few pics of what i did. This is my first big job since starting up so let me know if you have any recommendations or input.

before

after 2 step cut and wax

Test spot on lighter colord area

and the soon to be shined up turd:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heavily oxidated motorhome my first big job

Mega marine line will shine that puppy up and its cheap as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Or you van sand it really quick with 2000 then polish.Sanding will give you better results and the finish will survive longer.Machine sand it should take you 30 minutes to blast thru each side.Less time to buff.just graze the finish with the 2k grit don't stand on areas to long,its not a showcar.Abralon disc are perfect for this job.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you've got a great start as long as you estimated enough time/$

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. As far as wet sanding it i am not sure how that would go as when you look at the pics the surface is not flat. So, would i have to sand down all the ridges that you can see in the reflection (the fibers in the gelcoat)? if that is the case it seems like that would add a whole extra step in sanding it all smooth. I have seen in other threads that people have went over their projects quick with a purple scotch brite to get some of the oxidation before going at it with the cutting polish. Thoughts?

Ya, i am pretty happy with how this has started. 1 week in and 2 jobs booked. On this one i did cut the guy a bit of a break as he is retired and on fixed income (and i am a bit of a softy at times). But i am still getting mid twenties per foot which seems pretty fair to me. Should work out quite well as long as i don't go much past 10-11 hours on it which i don't think will happen. My base rate for this type of job would be 26-28/foot does that seem reasonable? there is not much for competition around here to price check so i checked Vancouver which is a few hours away and a much bigger city and took their average and dropped it 2-3/ft .

I will get started on it tomorrow and post pics and time it took at the end of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Wash it down with some compound that will remove the top layer of crud.Or use comet or barkeepers.I would not use a scotchbrite pad .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nrosdal View Post
    Thanks for the input. As far as wet sanding it i am not sure how that would go as when you look at the pics the surface is not flat. So, would i have to sand down all the ridges that you can see in the reflection (the fibers in the gelcoat)? if that is the case it seems like that would add a whole extra step in sanding it all smooth. I have seen in other threads that people have went over their projects quick with a purple scotch brite to get some of the oxidation before going at it with the cutting polish. Thoughts?

Ya, i am pretty happy with how this has started. 1 week in and 2 jobs booked. On this one i did cut the guy a bit of a break as he is retired and on fixed income (and i am a bit of a softy at times). But i am still getting mid twenties per foot which seems pretty fair to me. Should work out quite well as long as i don't go much past 10-11 hours on it which i don't think will happen. My base rate for this type of job would be 26-28/foot does that seem reasonable? there is not much for competition around here to price check so i checked Vancouver which is a few hours away and a much bigger city and took their average and dropped it 2-3/ft .

I will get started on it tomorrow and post pics and time it took at the end of it.
    That's hussling at 10 hrs.Just to wash it may take 2 hrs and those pesky drips will interfere with polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

1500.00 if I were to tackle that.it gives me a week or less and pretty good money.Those projects I make money on time as well.Start at 9 stop at 3.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, got a start on it today and it was a mess. 2.5 hours just to get it washed (mainly the roof). Also had some serious bleeding issues with the old decals. It took almost 2 hours wasted smearing colors around with foam cutting pads before i switched to wool for the cut and started making headway. Will get back at it tomorrow and finish the cut with wool and then circle back to the foam for the cleaner wax. Definitly could have added a few $ per foot for the condition its in but learned a lesson and will still come out with $$ in pocket.

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaned roof

Awning

and the whole thing getting clean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast