autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bring back the shine on our first new to us camper (gel coat)

Quote Originally Posted by solar07 View Post
    So are you reccomending the vert or poli? Trying to follow. Thanks!
    You will be adding to the promblem with that stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the coating you speak of? It is winter here now and everything is in the barn.

No update yet. I just received my needed products to start polishing in the coming weeks. Seeing the results of the spray and forget I am a little unsure as to how to proceed. In test spots it is doing something remarkable. Question is, how will it hold up or will it cause any harm?

My advice? Use something that is actually designed for what you're working on. This includes not using a floor wax on an RV. I don't profess to know any of the chemistry involved. But I do tend to think the people who manufacture those products do and they design them to have the optimum results for the surface they're made for. Also, if the Spray and Forget is powerful enough to remove oxidation without any buffing on your part, I'm suspicious of what else it's doing to your paint. You can't get something for nothing, and I have yet to see a product that delivers results like buffing without any effort or any work. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

My opinion: you're received some great advice from a world-renowned detailer (Mike Phillips). Go with what he suggested.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007
    Green 1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 & Silver 2007 Honda ST1300

Post Thanks / Like

So are you reccomending the vert or poli? Trying to follow. Thanks!

Wasn't recommending either although I have had tremendous success with them. Just saw one this week I did 3 years ago and am amazed. But I usually only use it on 90's style pre laid panel type walls. The ones that have some. Chop strand matt printing through. I have used it on a ton of non skid swim platforms. I laughed at people using it rather than doing things the correct way. The I realized it has its place. People live the results and it is higj profit for me in my area. I have an rv dealer that I do some for. Important about every other year to maintain it or it will fail. Then you have a mess if you let it go.

But I was simply telling him how to remove it. Before he tries to go the other route of compounding. You cant even wet sand the stuff off. You need the stripper. Simple.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaGP View Post
    My advice? Use something that is actually designed for what you're working on. This includes not using a floor wax on an RV. I don't profess to know any of the chemistry involved. But I do tend to think the people who manufacture those products do and they design them to have the optimum results for the surface they're made for. Also, if the Spray and Forget is powerful enough to remove oxidation without any buffing on your part, I'm suspicious of what else it's doing to your paint. You can't get something for nothing, and I have yet to see a product that delivers results like buffing without any effort or any work. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

My opinion: you're received some great advice from a world-renowned detailer (Mike Phillips). Go with what he suggested.
    Who ever said vertglass and poliglow was not any work?? Where you come up with that? It is an all day job!. Nothing about an rv is easy. And the product is specifically designed for the application. When I get my hard drive back from data recovery I will show you results that look LIKE buffing. A lot of people thought I had painted thr bottom molded luggage area around perimeter. Just like some do on buff jobs. I buy compound in buckets for my marine work. Sometimes I go another route. My results speak for themselves.

And again my point was to explain what it was to he could remove it so he could do your method. The only one acceptable to those on these boards that have never used the methods they slam. No worries. I was one of them with my nose in the air for many years on this issue. Although I never claimed it wouldn't work or that it wasnt manufactured for the application. Because that simply is not true. I was simply selfish and didn't want it cutting into my rotary compounding work by diy'ers. I am over that. Few will apply themselves anyway. And many that do it fails.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all, so I finally found time to do this. Camper is all washed and in the garage with my marine 31 heavy cur cleaner wax, lake country yellow foam pad, and Meg's MT300. I'm running into a few issues. Right out of the gate one of my lake country pads melted to the center of the Meg's 5" plate. Only 3 sections into the job. I chucked that back plate and switched to the yellow one I see Mike always using. So far ok. Still on the front and I'm getting some very shiney results in some areas combined with some dull lines, trails, etc, like you can see where I was with the DA. Any tips? See where light is shining there is like what looks to be foot prints on a window.

Post Thanks / Like

Shared album - Brad Shumate - Google Photos

Link to my album will have to do for now. It won't let me upload photo from mobile device.

Post Thanks / Like

I think iay have figured it out. I was doing 4-5 passes of left to right up to down and they may be tppany for gel coat. I think it was rubbing the gunk back on. Moved to 2-3 passes of same technique may have solved 70% of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Scratch that. It helped some but still getting a bunch of weird inconsistent dull marks ��

Post Thanks / Like

Scratch that. It helped some but still getting a bunch of weird inconsistent dull marks ��
    It's hard to tell. Looks like dried on product. You're using a cleaner wax??
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    It's hard to tell. Looks like dried on product. You're using a cleaner wax??

Yea it is marine 31 heavy cut gel coat cleaner wax. I did one whole side and the front and got mixed results. I tested meguires ultra cut then a polish and it looks better so I'm thinking this may not have enough cut. Might try another one step like captains. Do I need to use a wool pad?

My Meg's mt300 is dying to melt these back plates after only a couple 4800-5800 runs each time.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast