autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing an RV - What to buy?

Hey guys,

I've been asked by my grandpa to detail his RV inside and out. I want to make sure I have enough supplies before I start this as I've never detailed an RV before. I'm looking at this as a great way to stock up on pads and accessories for my 6" GG DA also.

Here are the pics:

Some of the scratches we're looking at, most likely from tree branches.

A close up of a scratch.

It seems like the scratches are more of a marring of the surface rather than a scratch in to the clear coat if that makes sense. I've read a little about gel coats, I'm not sure if that's what this is, but it seems that if it is I'll just need to work the scratches a bit more?

I'm thinking about trying out the Wolfgang TSR and maybe GG Machine Polish 3 (because I have some already), but I'm also interested in an AIO like Klasse AIO because the less passes on this RV I have to make the better and I would also like to incorporate that into my mobile detailing menu. I've also read some about putting a smaller backing plate on to Griot's DA. Like I said this is going to give me the money to invest in pads, so any advice on sizes and pads are welcome.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Hudson Detailing and Hand Wash
    hdhandwash.com
    Facebook.com/hdhandwash

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing an RV - What to buy?

For gel coat u need an abrasive aio. Klass has no cut. I'd look at menzerna 3 in 1. Gel coat labs, wolf uber. Megs 151 and other marine products. A circular machine would be best but a foam wool would work on ur da, just much slower. My 2 c

Post Thanks / Like

I tried Klasse on Gel Coat and was not impressed. Went to DG products which worked out better for me. Unless that RV is pristine and no oxidation your gonna be homestedding there for a while. Believe it or not you can make oxidation shine but it will not last long. The best test I have found is a rotary, compound, and a wool pad, Do one spot and compare the two. That will tell the story of what needs to be done. I have found zero AIO's that will remove anything past the slightest oxidation. For a LSP to last all oxidation must be removed.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a chance that it's just a standard clear coat? It seems to be different IMO, but I have no experience with RVs or boats so I wouldn't know.

If it is a gel coat, my dad has an old rotary I could borrow and I'll just buy a wool pad for it.

Can I just approach the wash and LSP similar to my process for a car?
    hdhandwash.com
    Facebook.com/hdhandwash

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm looking at buying this 3M Marine Rubbing Compound to remove the oxidation and hopefully the scratches. I'm thinking I'll try my DA, but if it's too slow then switch to the rotary with a wool pad.

Then would it work if I follow the compound with Klasse AIO or will it need to be followed by a polish? I really would like to not have to go over the entire RV a bunch of times. It doesn't need to be perfect.

Please let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks!
    hdhandwash.com
    Facebook.com/hdhandwash

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drumr_102 View Post
    So I'm looking at buying this 3M Marine Rubbing Compound to remove the oxidation and hopefully the scratches. I'm thinking I'll try my DA, but if it's too slow then switch to the rotary with a wool pad.

Then would it work if I follow the compound with Klasse AIO or will it need to be followed by a polish? I really would like to not have to go over the entire RV a bunch of times. It doesn't need to be perfect.

Please let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks!
    That may work, I personally used 3M super duty. Start mild and work up until you find out what works.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I might suggest a Flex 3401, some Carpro Flash pads, Megs M101, a long extension cord and a real good ladder.

Are you thinking about polishing the roof?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    That may work, I personally used 3M super duty. Start mild and work up until you find out what works.

Dave
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind
    hdhandwash.com
    Facebook.com/hdhandwash

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    I might suggest a Flex 3401, some Carpro Flash pads, Megs M101, a long extension cord and a real good ladder.

Are you thinking about polishing the roof?
    I believe the roof is a type of hard plastic. Was planning on just washing it and hitting problem spots with APC. It lives outside currently and my grandfather isn't looking for perfection.
    hdhandwash.com
    Facebook.com/hdhandwash

Post Thanks / Like

If the Flex 3401 is a bit much (although a good suggestion) at least pick up a few Carpro Flash pads. They are available in 3 1/2", 5" and 6 1/4"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast