autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to wash, polish and wax your RV or Motorhome

Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Mike!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

37ft 5th wheel RV,truck is Black Volvo770 semi.I used Griots sealant on both about 11/2-2yrs ago.Both sit outside (Colorado)
    Trailer has mostly gel coat,it has some black streaks,using Griots #2 polish and Griots DA,they are not coming out.Oxidation either.

Would a one step cleaner,wax sealant work to redo the units or do I have to remove the previously applied sealant...(whew).
    Thanks for any recommendations.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzyp View Post

37ft 5th wheel RV,truck is Black Volvo770 semi.I used Griots sealant on both about 11/2-2yrs ago.Both sit outside (Colorado)
    Trailer has mostly gel coat,it has some black streaks,using Griots #2 polish and Griots DA,they are not coming out.Oxidation either.
    Might have to get more aggressive if the black streaks have penetrated deep into the gel-coat. Our spray on black streak remove might work but because gel-coat is porous my guess is the stain has penetrated too deep for a wipe on, wipe off type product and you'll have to abrade the surface.

Would a one step cleaner,wax sealant work to redo the units or do I have to remove the previously applied sealant...(whew).

No need to remove any previously applied sealant with a special process or product.

A quality one-step cleaner/wax will remove what's left of any old sealant or wax while at the same time, clean, polish and protect.

Check these products out,

McKee’s RV Black Streak Remover - 32 ounce

Voted the best RV black streak remover!

McKee’s RV Black Streak Remover is a non-abrasive chemical cleaner that is formulated to quickly and effortlessly remove black streaks from fiberglass, gel coat, painted and metal surfaces. This powerful cleaner begins dissolving black streaks on contact, removing the unsightly stains they leave on your RV’s exterior surfaces. McKee’s RV Black Streak Remover requires very little, if any, rubbing. Simply spray on and rinse off – it’s that easy!

Black streaks plague all RVs!

McKee's RV Black Streak Remover works in seconds and requires minimal effort!
    Black streaks are an issue that plagues all RV owners, and they’re something you cannot avoid. Fortunately black streaks are easy to remove with the right product – McKee’s RV Black Streak Remover. The chemists at McKee’s RV managed to formulate a powerful cleaner that requires very little, if any, rubbing. Thanks to a formula that doesn’t rely on harsh acids and high-octane cleaners, McKee’s RV Black Streak Remover will leave your existing wax coating intact.

Black streaks are the result of staining from the runoff of dirt, grime, mildew, and other environmental contaminants from the roof of your RV. These contaminants collect on the roof, decay over time, and rip own the sides of your RV with each rain shower. Unless you clean your RV’s roof on a weekly basis (who has time to do that?) black streaks are something you have to learn to deal with. McKee’s RV Black Streak Remover provides an easy solution for removing these unsightly streaks.

McKee’s RV Black Streak Remover is easy to use! To avoid streaks, spray from the BOTTOM to the top. Allow the cleaner to dwell for 30 seconds and then rinse off. Stubborn black streaks will require a second application along with light agitation with a brush.

Now that you’ve accepted the fact that black streaks are part of owning an RV, here are a couple tips to make them even easier to remove:
    1.Regularly clean your rubber roof with McKee’s RV MPC – Multi-Purpose Cleaner.
    2.Keep your RV polished and waxed. Black streaks will not penetrate the wax coating, and can easily be removed using McKee’s RV Final Step Detail Wax. Only the most stubborn black streaks will require McKee’s RV Black Streak Remover.

32 oz.

Made in USA

Mike Phillips

The below two products are one-step cleaner/waxes, the first is light in its cleaning and the second is more aggressive for neglected surfaces.

McKee’s RV All-In-One Cleaner Wax & Sealant - 32 ounce

Cleans, polishes and seals your RV in ONE step!

McKee’s RV All-In-One Cleaner Wax & Sealant is the perfect one-step solution to clean, polish and seal your RV in ONE Step! Use on new and weathered RVs – the outcome will always be the same! McKee’s RV All-In-One Cleaner Wax & Sealant removes oxidation, road film, stubborn bug splatter, black streaks, and other common contaminants that stain and discolor your RV over time. Durable UV inhibitors help prevent UV-induced cracking and fading.

Apply with a FLEX XC3401 equipped with a WHITE Polishing Pad
    Your RV’s gel coat, fiberglass, or painted exterior is constantly being bombarded with environmental contaminants such as road film, acid rain, bug splatter, black streaks and accidental gas spills to name a few. McKee’s RV All-In-One Cleaner Wax & Sealant brings new life to your RV’s exterior while sealing it for long lasting protection. The aforementioned contaminants that plague your RV from life on the open road won’t stand a chance against the durable shell of protection provided by McKee’s RV All-In-One Cleaner Wax & Sealant.

McKee’s RV All-In-One Cleaner Wax & Sealant formula was created without compromises. Cleaner waxes are designed to clean, polish, and protect the surface that they are applied to. While they all strive to achieve these goals, many formulas lack in one (or more!) of these areas. That’s not the case with McKee’s RV All-In-One Cleaner Wax & Sealant. This unique formula cleans to remove embedded dirt, polishes to remove swirl marks and oxidation, and seals for long lasting protection.

RVs are BIG, and performing multiple steps can take days or even weeks! Whether your RV is brand new or showing signs of oxidation and fading, save time and money by detailing it in one step with McKee’s RV All-In-One Cleaner Wax & Sealant. Apply by hand or machine – you’ll never find a RV cleaner wax or all-in-one polish that is easier to apply and remove. We guarantee it!

McKee’s RV All-In-One Cleaner Wax & Sealant is formulated for gel coat, fiberglass, clear coat, chrome, aluminum, and stainless steel finishes. Regardless of the surface, All-In-One Cleaner Wax & Sealant will polish and seal it with protection and shine that lasts for the long haul.

32 oz.

Made in USA

On McKeesRV.com

McKee’s RV All-In-One Cleaner Wax & Sealant - 32 ounce

Below is the more aggressive cleaner/wax.

McKee’s RV One-Step Compound, Polish & Wax - 32 ounce

A true compound, polish and wax in one!

McKee’s RV One-Step Compound, Polish & Wax is the perfect one-step solution for removing moderate to heavy oxidation to restore the gloss and color of your RV. A blend of real carnauba wax and synthetic polymers provide long lasting protection against UV rays and airborne pollutants. This zero-dusting formula is incredibly easy to apply by hand or machine. One-Step Compound, Polish & Wax can be used to restore the gloss and color on gel coat, fiberglass, and painted surfaces.

Apply with a FLEX XC3401 equipped with an ORANGE Light Cutting Pad

Not everyone has the time or the desire to perform a traditional 3-step compound, polish, and wax to restore the gloss and color of their RV. Advancements in surface care enhancement technology have made 3-step processes like the one described above unnecessary in many cases. McKee’s RV One-Step Compound, Polish & Wax replaces the need for a separate compound, polish, and wax. It does it all saving you time and money!

Forget everything you know about other so-called one-step polishes and compounds because McKee’s RV One-Step Compound, Polish & Wax is a game changer. Formulated using an advanced blend of diminishing abrasives, chemical cleaners and a durable synthetic wax, McKee’s RV One-Step Compound, Polish & Wax is a time-saving solution to a task that used to take multiple steps over the course of several days.

The secret to the immense cutting and finishing abilities of One-Step Compound, Polish & Wax lies in its abrasive technology. Featuring diminishing abrasive technology, the abrasives found in One-Step Compound, Polish & Wax start out large and progressively get smaller as you polish the surface. Simply put, this amazing one-step polish cuts like a compound and finishes like a polish, providing the best of both worlds. Its built-in synthetic wax provides protection that lasts the long haul.

McKee’s RV One-Step Compound, Polish & Wax coats your RV with a durable shell of synthetic wax that provides months of protection against the elements of nature. Bug splatter, black streaks, road film, dirt, and oil will wash off with ease. The only thing that sticks is the shine!

32 oz.

Made in USA

At McKeesRV.com

McKee’s RV One-Step Compound, Polish & Wax - 32 ounce

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK,received the Pinnacle XMT 360 last PM.Started waxing RV today..
    Gelcoat and no matter how long I run the orbital on it,it will not disappear and needs to be buffed off.It does not buff off easy..The Gelcoat is cleaned up and shiny but taking a long time.
    I am using Griots 6" orbital with Griot's orange pad...Any ideas?
    This thing is 37ft long and 8.5 high.Mostly ladder work..It does look nice where I have been but difficult to buff off..Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

OK,received the Pinnacle XMT 360 last PM.Started waxing RV today..
    Gelcoat and no matter how long I run the orbital on it,it will not disappear and needs to be buffed off.It does not buff off easy..The Gelcoat is cleaned up and shiny but taking a long time.
    This thing is 37ft long and 8.5 high.Mostly ladder work..It does look nice where I have been but difficult to buff off..Thank you

May I make a suggestion?

Rent some scaffolding. Working on a ladder is fine for small areas, but the whole thing is a bear to say the least.

Much more safe and the feeling of NOT falling is worth its' weight in gold.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,will look into renting scaffold..Pull this thing with a Volvo 770 tractor..it's 13'2" high(Black) Scaffold would be nice there also.Thanks again

Mike Phillips

Gelcoat and no matter how long I run the orbital on it, it will not disappear and needs to be buffed off.
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand the above sentence.

Especially in context with the below sentence.

Do you mean,

OXIDATION and no matter how long I run the orbital on it, it will not disappear and needs to be buffed off.

BLACK STREAKS and no matter how long I run the orbital on it, it will not disappear and needs to be buffed off.

It does not buff off easy..

The Gelcoat is cleaned up and shiny but taking a long time.
    Here you're saying the gel-coat is cleaned up and shiny but taking a long time but in the first sentence it reads like you're saying the opposite? I'm trying.... but not quite sure I understand where you need help?

Did you mark your backing plate with a black mark and is the pad rotating when you apply pressure?

See this article,

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation

IF you're trying to remove oxidation then you want to use the product heavy or wet. That means you use a lot of product so you have plenty of liquid (chemicals and abrasives on the surface working for you).

Most of the time when people talk about waxing something they say lay down a thin coat. That's not how it works when using a one-step cleaner/wax to remove oxidation. Totally different process.

As you remove oxidation it mixes with the cleaner/wax and makes a gummy mess and thus... hard to wipe off.

Use more product and work smaller sections and then wipe off immediately.

As for how to do this type of work faster?

Get a Flex 3401.

Mike Phillips

I'm in the middle of teaching our 3-day detailing class so no more time for the forum. Was typing these replies out while taking a lunch break.

One more article for you, lots of info on how to use a cleaner/wax.

How to choose and use a one-step cleaner/wax by Mike Phillips

Back to the class, next up we'll be buffing out a 1950 Ford Custom.... the orange one in the picture below.

Just to note... I do cover how to correctly use one-step cleaner/waxes in my classes.

Mike Phillips

The below was forwarded to me via e-mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzyp

Thanks for the answers....

I apologize for the confusion in my question...

The directions state to apply until product disappears...that didn't happen.

I had to buff of after application..It did clean up the Gelcoat well.
    I guess where I questioned was the claim "One Step". It was not that. No complaints just wondering if I was doing something wrong ie,wrong pad or ???..

Thanks for the reply..

No black streaks, just the products does not disappear it needs to be buffed off. It works fine then

Okay, now I understand.

You were applying the Pinnacle XMT 360 which is a one-step cleaner/wax.

The directions state to buff the product till it disappears and when you followed the directions the product did not disappear and instead you had to wipe the residue off the surface by hand.

Got it!

Here's the deal. I didn't write the directions for this cleaner/wax. If I had they would probably need a small booklet to go with the bottle as I tend to over-write.

While the directions may work for some cars in some situations, (and in your case you're working on an RV), in reality, like I share in the article I included the link to above, in reality anytime you're using a one-step cleaner/wax on a neglected finish you want to use the product HEAVY or WET.

This means use a LOT of product because you want a LOT of liquid on the surface working for you. The liquid, (the wax) is doing these things,

1. Cleaning
    2. Abrading
    3. Polishing
    4. Loosening
    5. Lubricating
    6. Sealing

That's a lot to ask from a product and it's also why you want to use the product heavy, or wet.

As for buffing till it disappears. That isn't going to happen on an oxidized RV.

First - You're removing dead, oxidized gel-coat. This gel-coat you're abrading off has to go somewhere. It's not simply going to disappear on it's own.

It's normal to have to wipe this residue off by hand.

The only time you would be able to buff a cleaner/wax till it disappears is if the surface is in GREAT condition and you only use a LITTLE BIT of wax.

Second - Even then, as you work around the vehicle, your pad is going to get wet with product and leave behind a film that has to be wiped off by hand.

I'm actually NOT a fan of the buff till the product disappears recommendation because when the product disappears you're losing lubrication, (the liquid is gone), and this can lead to micro-marring of the surface.

In fact, in my how-to book and on this forum I have an article on this topic.

Wet Buffing Technique

And to better explain what's happening at the surface level when you're buffing and why you will have to not only wipe the residue off the surface but also clean your buffing pad, here's this article.

Why it's important to clean your pads often...

Hope that helps.... sorry for the confusion on my part. Glad to hear your RV detail came out good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast