autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

gel coat polishing techniques

New to detailing and first time posting here. I own 2 molded fiberglass RVs, a 16ft Scamp and a 25ft Bigfoot. They are just starting to need a little more than a wax job. Most of what I've seen on YouTube and forums discusses reviving pretty severe oxidation of the gel coat. Grab the rotary and put on the wool or foamed wool pads and start compounding. I have a surface that isn't quite factory fresh gloss but is by no means the chalky, dull surface I've seen on other rigs. The roof and fronts are where they most need attention while the sides are still fairly glossy. My problem is I just haven't seen much discussion regarding mild to light oxidation conditions and what a good starting point is. I realize this is a bit subjective. I have on hand these Marine 31 products: Gel Coat Gloss & Color Restorer, Gel Coat Final Step Polish, and Gel Coat Carnauba Wax & Sealant. I'm hoping to get by with these using my Griot's Garage G9 and some Lake Country CCS pads. Maybe start with the orange and work my way up. My question is, can I get away with this lighter touch given that my Gel Coat is not really that damaged or is it always a case for the heavier cut found on rotary/wool pad combo? The Marine 31 product info does show its use with DA buffers and foam pads. I recognize all the reasons for going to wool or foamed wool pads but I've also read where it's best to try the least aggressive action you can get away with. To reiterate, I'm not removing any heavily oxidized material here. Thanks in advance for any help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: gel coat polishing techniques

Definitely start with the polish and a polishing pad to see if that combo will remove the defects and if not, move up to the next aggressive pad and try again. Then if needed move up to a compound and I really like Griots Fast Correcting Creme that I bought recently along with several other compounds such as Sonax and Menzerna. Once you figure out the least aggressive combo that removes your defects then you can go to town cleaning up the gel coat. In this case, paint correction is paint correction whether that is a car, boat or RV. Good luck!