autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Travel Trailer Refresh

I have a 2002 Hornet 25FL Travel trailer in pretty good shape for its age .I got a good deal on it a couple years ago from the original owner..

I put a few bucks into it mostly on the interior. New flooring etc.

Now I'm getting to the exterior.

I just recoated the roof with a rubber roof sealer so the roof is snow white now.

The decals are OK one one side (camp side)but pretty beat up on the other side ( hookups side). I'm thinking about taping off and sanding the decals lightly and repainting over(copy what's there) them. Kind of a hack way but the decals are baked on and are not coming off and this will undoubtedly look better. How long it lasts.....

The rest of the paint is faded a little and I think it could be improved . It's tin sided like most older units.

I'm thinking about using my Porter Cable 7424xp with a white lake country pads.

What do you think about a cleaner wax?

BF one step is probably overkill I think

Not looking for a major deal just a once over mainly to get it looking nicer.

Ideas Guys?

Here's a couple pics. I can get better pics tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Travel Trailer Refresh

A cleaner wax is a reasonable choice. I'd use a non-abrasive version, e.g., OTC Meguiars in the maroon bottle, or a similar product first, to see if it provides a good enough result. If not then step up to an abrasive version, e.g., Blackfire One Step. The ribbed design has so many edges... That is why I'd start with a non-abrasive product.

Also, with the ribbed design, I don't think any random orbital polisher is the appropriate tool. It's going to be almost impossible to maintain pad rotation. A rotary, on edge or with a small pad, would be a much better choice.

As for painting over the existing decals, if you do go that route be sure the paint you use is not lacquer. Lacquer can cause the decals to "lift" and wrinkle.

That is my "traditional" or "conventional wisdom" detailing recommendation...

But since I personally can't imagine waxing something that size, especially with the ribbed design, here's a non-traditional process I might try that would take much less effort. If the finish is in reasonable condition and absent of any real oxidation, I'd thoroughly wash it with a strong detergent, e,g., Tide laundry detergent, or equivalent, to remove any road film, stains, etc., and then use a spray coating on it. Something like 303 Graphene Spray Coating or even one of today's spray and rinse coatings.

If there is any oxidation that needs to be removed, I'd try Comet cleanser.

Post Thanks / Like

I would stay off the decals with any type of machine and if you have some Klasse AIO, I would see what that does in a wipe on/wipe off application. Other than that, I go along with what 2black1s said - especially the rotary on edge w/ BF One Step. Just move quick. The BF One Step has chemical cleaners in it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I would break it up into sections so you don't kill your self and never want to tackle the trailer again.

Post Thanks / Like

Marine/RV specific cleaner waxes or a product like BF one step would be the way I go for one reason: They can be used in sunlight.

My travel trailer is fiberglass. The thought of trying to wax a stick and tin model like yours makes me physically ill. Another thought would be a good scrubbing with a quality car wash, then something like hydro blue that you spray on and hose off.

As far as the decals, it's a 20 year old travel trailer. I'd leave them alone, or remove them all together.

Post Thanks / Like

I hit a few spots with Meguiars Cleaner Wax and it really brought it back to life. Cleaner and shinier. Good enough.
    I also tried Blackfire one step and it was even better. I have a few bottles of the megs just collecting dust so I might as well use them up
    I'm not spending a ton of time on this. Just need it to look better. I might sell it this fall and order a new one for next year

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk