autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

electric RO sander to apply cleaner wax on gelcoat

I have an RV with gel coat sides. It has some oxidation. Can I use an 5" electric RO 'sander (adjustable 7,000 to 12,000 RPM) to apply Meguire's 67 cleaner and then a wax? And also what type of pads? (RO has velcro base)
    Thanks!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: electric RO sander to apply cleaner wax on gelcoat

Quote Originally Posted by coloradokev View Post
    I have an RV with gel coat sides. It has some oxidation. Can I use an 5" electric RO 'sander (adjustable 7,000 to 12,000 RPM) to apply Meguire's 67 cleaner and then a wax? And also what type of pads? (RO has velcro base)
    Thanks!
    I use red waxing pad to apply Meguire’s Pure Wax #56 on my RV with a Griots RO. For light oxidation I would use #50 cleaner wax with the R0 and start with a waxing pad to see if you get the results needed. If necessary then go up to a mild polishing pad. If heavy oxidation go to the oxidation remover # 49. Prevent reoxidation by semiannual waxing, garaging if possible when not in use, and occasional touch up with ultimate spray bottle quick wax at the campground after using a detail spray to clean off any dust. I haven’t tried yet the RV/boat spray bottle #143 rinse free wash & wax but it sounds like a possible good campground/road alternative.

Use the RV specific products for any black streaks needed to be removed first before waxing/polishing. I have had success using a foamer on a pressure washer to apply awning cleaners and boat/rv gel coat wash when washing. I personally would never use the pressure washer on an RV except with the foamer.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Velosprout View Post
    I use red waxing pad to apply Meguire’s Pure Wax #56 on my RV with a Griots RO. For light oxidation I would use #50 cleaner wax with the R0 and start with a waxing pad to see if you get the results needed. If necessary then go up to a mild polishing pad. If heavy oxidation go to the oxidation remover # 49. Prevent reoxidation by semiannual waxing, garaging if possible when not in use, and occasional touch up with ultimate spray bottle quick wax at the campground after using a detail spray to clean off any dust. I haven’t tried yet the RV/boat spray bottle #143 rinse free wash & wax but it sounds like a possible good campground/road alternative.

Use the RV specific products for any black streaks needed to be removed first before waxing/polishing. I have had success using a foamer on a pressure washer to apply awning cleaners and boat/rv gel coat wash when washing. I personally would never use the pressure washer on an RV except with the foamer.

So the electric RO sander 7,000 rpm to 12,000 rpm isn't too fast for applying polishing compound/oxidation remover and also wax?

Mike Phillips

It's all about

PAD ROTATION

Do a test. Put a pad on the electric sander. Take a Black Sharpie Marker and draw a line or two on the sides of the pad to make it easy for your eyes to see if the pad is actually rotating.

Then test out machine applying the cleaner/wax.

If the pad is rotating - go for it.

If the pad is just vibrating and jiggling - you're wasting your time.

Let us know how the test goes.

Post Thanks / Like

So the electric RO sander 7,000 rpm to 12,000 rpm isn't too fast for applying polishing compound/oxidation remover and also wax?
    If its a RO probably OPM instead of RPM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My RO has 2000 - 6400 orbits per minute rating and for fragile RV gelcoat I tend toward moderate speeds. Yours might be a bit too aggressive.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a Craftsman 5" VS RO Sander Model 315.112180. Owner's manual says 7,000 - 12,500 RPM here's the link CRAFTSMAN 315.112180 OPERATOR'S MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib
    So is it OK to apply cleaner wax with light pressure

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a Craftsman 5" VS RO Sander Model 315.112180. Owner's manual says 7,000 - 12,500 RPM here's the link CRAFTSMAN 315.112180 OPERATOR'S MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib
    So is it OK to apply cleaner wax with light pressure
    I would reserve the sander for sanding and get a vehicle specific random orbital polisher.