autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question/Concerns Regarding 5th Wheel Extrior Sidewall Condition

Question/Concerns Regarding 5th Wheel Extrior Sidewall Condition

Good Morning Gang. I am not a professional detailer, simply a vehicle care enthusiast. I'm new to the forum, but not to the AG family.

In the 2 photos above you will see 2 similar 5th wheel campers. Both campers are from the same Manufacture and assembly plant, they are basically "sister brands". My trailers is on the right, the one is slightly better condition.

My unit is a 2018 Raptor, roughly 2 years old. I am concerned about what is happening in these photos. The exterior fiberglass walls are beginning to heavily oxidize, with visible lines on the trailer representing the metal/aluminum frame lines of the trailer.

Initially I thought this was an internal reaction, maybe something behind the finish. I recently hit a small test area with a Flex, Marine 31 product and the oxidation easily removed. Roughly 6 months ago, I polished and waxed with a 3m (2 in 1 product). Flex DA was used with recommended wool pad, initial results were good. I wash every couple of months and wipe dry with a Mequiares Synthetic Spray.

Long story short, for being an average consumer, I try to take care of my toys...

I have 2 questions for you guys. Keep in mind, the trailer is kept outdoors with no cover:

1. Any idea why the quick reaction to the finish? Any idea why the frame lines are affecting this?
    2. Any thoughts on a product to protect from this issue, or maybe prolong the effects?

I'm considering one of the new ceramic spray products, such as TW or Griots...

Question/Concerns Regarding 5th Wheel Extrior Sidewall Condition-thumbnail_20200823_071829-jpg

Question/Concerns Regarding 5th Wheel Extrior Sidewall Condition-thumbnail_20200820_183445-jpg

Thank you in advance!

Mike Phillips

Re: Question/Concerns Regarding 5th Wheel Extrior Sidewall Condition

Your post was in the Moderator's Queue - I just found it and approved it so now it "shows up".

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

That is the strangest thing with them being a match to the internal framing (just a guess). I would suggest you ask this of the manufacturer as I would assume they have seen this on other units and customers. I see the same streaking on my aluminum gutters where the water has passed over the edges. Since those stain lines look to be straight and so not something in the metal railing at the roofline causing the staining.

Just weird but do let the forum know what you do find out or what chemicals work or do not remove this lines.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response. Just to clarify. What is happening in the photos, is that the side walls are oxidizing heavily. The only place the oxidation is not occurring is where the framing is behind it. Thanks, I will reach out to the manufacture as well.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am curious if you have heard back from the manufacturer of what might cause this? My 5th wheel is 3 yrs old and has the same color scheme as yours. Different manufacturer though. I am having the same situation and I am trying to figure out what I should do. Have you had any luck removing the oxidation between the framing?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if it's something to do with your locale? I do TONS of RVs of all different types in all different levels of neglect and I've never seen those seams like in your photos on any RV I've ever worked on.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is a month old now but I have an idea of what's possibly happening. The aluminum framing is a great heat sink to pull heat away from the siding thus less oxidation. May sound dumb and probably is but since you keep the siding protected with your regimen those area's are fairing the best with less heat??
    Excuse typos and poor grammar created by my not so bright "smart" phone. And we thank you