autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What product would you use on my new RV?

I recently bought a new class c motorhome. (See pic) It is "partial paint", meaning the dark grey on top and bottom is painted. The white on the house part is fiberglass with vinyl graphics. The cab of course is painted. It has been sitting on the dealer lot for approx 1 year, so its a little dirty but not too bad.

I'm looking for something (wax, or AIO or ??) to use on everything. It will be garaged when not in use. Bugs are always an issue with motorhomes, so something that helps with bug removal will be nice too.

I've done a fair amount of car detail at the amateur level. I have a Griot's Random Orbital polisher and a selection of lake country pads.

I've read and read, and still not sure what to use. Want good protection and nice shine (not looking for a show car shine).

Thanks for any input. Here is a picture of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What product would you use on my new RV?-vita-c-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Re: What product would you use on my new RV?

Quote Originally Posted by Fly5465 View Post

It will be garaged when not in use.

Because it will be garage kept - I'd go with Backfire One Step without hesitation.

I'll explain why tomorrow, I'm pushing away from the keyboard for the day.

Nice RV!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike!

Will look forward to hearing more. Since you posted I have been reading up on Blackfire One Step. Sounds like a good product for this.

Dale

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Fly5465 View Post
    Thanks Mike!

Will look forward to hearing more. Since you posted I have been reading up on Blackfire One Step. Sounds like a good product for this.

Dale

Sorry for the delay, I came into the office today and had to implement the new Coronavirus protocols the company has put into place and then play catch-up with normal desk type duties.

I'm going to type out why I think you should go with a one-step cleaner/wax over all your other options.

Mike Phillips

Here's why....

First - You say this RV will be garage-kept - this means you don't need longevity as a primary feature. There are no long-lasting one-step product generally speaking that at this time, also use great abrasive technology. That's a lot to ask from one product.

Second - You can take 2 ap
    proaches to this RV just like you can take two approaches to a car.

1: Put a LOT of time into it doing multiple dedicated steps, (machine compounding and machine polishing), and then SEAL the surfaces in some manner i.e. wax, sealant or coating. This option will work but it is time-consuming and labor intensive. If you use a ceramic paint coating, then in the future - it will be harder to do any touch-up work without the process being time-consuming as there will be multiple steps involved.

2: Use a great one-step cleaner/wax, or in the case of BLACKFIRE One Step, a cleaner/sealant, (same idea). With this approach, you can work around the RV ONE TIME and you're done. The BF One Step will work on damn near any surface, paint, gel-coat, plastic, glass etc. It will correct, polish and seal. If you let it dry, it wipes off SUPER EASY and that's something that is important when working on LARGE toys.

Down the road, if you need to do some touch-up, for example while backing into a parking slip at an RV park you get some tree branch scratches along the upper side of the RV - no problem, just buzz over it with the BF One Step, let the product dry, wipe off an your done.

Down the road, if you want to do an annual refresh, wash and dry and then buzz around the RV with the BF Ones step. It's fast and easy. It will work with any tool and by hand.

When I detail professionally, I have 3 packages. My first package is using BF One Step. It's my favorite because it's fast and easy and the results are always eye-popping. My package 2 and 3 include ceramic coatings and I don't mind doing them but they are a LOT more steps and more work and time.

What I know about human nature when it comes to detailing is this,

If it's fast and easy - people are more likely to do it.

If it's time consuming and complicated - people are more likely to NOT do it.

Take the easy road.... and if you do it right the first time and then wash carefully, the results will last a long time and the results will even be faster to maintain and refresh.

6. Thanks Fly5465 thanked for this post
    Likes Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's why....

First - You say this RV will be garage-kept - this means you don't need longevity as a primary feature. There are no long-lasting one-step product generally speaking that at this time, also use great abrasive technology. That's a lot to ask from one product.

Second - You can take 2 ap
    proaches to this RV just like you can take two approaches to a car.

1: Put a LOT of time into it doing multiple dedicated steps, (machine compounding and machine polishing), and then SEAL the surfaces in some manner i.e. wax, sealant or coating. This option will work but it is time-consuming and labor intensive. If you use a ceramic paint coating, then in the future - it will be harder to do any touch-up work without the process being time-consuming as there will be multiple steps involved.

2: Use a great one-step cleaner/wax, or in the case of BLACKFIRE One Step, a cleaner/sealant, (same idea). With this approach, you can work around the RV ONE TIME and you're done. The BF One Step will work on damn near any surface, paint, gel-coat, plastic, glass etc. It will correct, polish and seal. If you let it dry, it wipes off SUPER EASY and that's something that is important when working on LARGE toys.

Down the road, if you need to do some touch-up, for example while backing into a parking slip at an RV park you get some tree branch scratches along the upper side of the RV - no problem, just buzz over it with the BF One Step, let the product dry, wipe off an your done.

Down the road, if you want to do an annual refresh, wash and dry and then buzz around the RV with the BF Ones step. It's fast and easy. It will work with any tool and by hand.

When I detail professionally, I have 3 packages. My first package is using BF One Step. It's my favorite because it's fast and easy and the results are always eye-popping. My package 2 and 3 include ceramic coatings and I don't mind doing them but they are a LOT more steps and more work and time.

What I know about human nature when it comes to detailing is this,

If it's fast and easy - people are more likely to do it.

If it's time consuming and complicated - people are more likely to NOT do it.

Take the easy road.... and if you do it right the first time and then wash carefully, the results will last a long time and the results will even be faster to maintain and refresh.

Mike, I understand the OP plans to garage keep the RV so longevity is not as much an issue as one kept outdoors 24/7, but can you give an idea what to expect in terms of longevity for a RV and or vehicle kept outdoors full-time?
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    Thanks for taking the time to post this. I'm going to give the Blackfire One Step a try. 2 questions for now

1) Which pads from Lake Country? White/green? I have some 5.5 flat pads and some 5.5 CCS pads, but will need more.
    2) I read on here you liked Sonex Polymer Net Shield over the top. Would that make bugs and tree sap come off easier?

Thanks
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like

Hey fly, I just did my travel trailer and posted on the "show and shine" thread. I used white CCS pads with McKee's RV AIO (no longer sold on AG). I've had the trailer 1 year and it sits outside. Can't speak to longevity. But the combo did a really good job getting rid of some stubborn black streaks that I couldn't clean any other way. I went with it because it can be worked with in direct sunlight (most marine/RV formulas can).

As far as cleaning the bug splatter, Meguiars Gold Class and a telescoping wash brush will do well with a clean base. On the road I carry some waterless wash and a few microfibers because we have a nice big window on the front and it's nice to look out without bug guts obscuring the view.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks pilotpip. I will look for your post and read it.

Post Thanks / Like

Pilotpip, Looks like the McKee' RV AIO would also do a nice job. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast