autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing a Dealer Sticker, Need Help

We just purchased a 5th wheel trailer and the dealer had a stock# id sticker on the front cap and I am having a tough time getting it completely removed. I first tried peeling it off and managed to remove all the surface of the sticker, but getting the what I suspect is a combination of the adhesive and underside of the sticker has been painfully slow with little success. I first tried soaking it with hot soapy water, to no avail, then tried Goo Gone, a little more success but a slow painstaking process. I called the dealers service department to see what they might suggest and they suggested trying WD-40 which I did and it seemed to do nothing. I thought of mineral spirits, but afraid it might not be good for the paint. Any ideas?
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing a Dealer Sticker, Need Help

I watched some pretty good emblem removal videos on YouTube. On one a 3M wheel was used on a drill that got rid of the residue in no time. Might need a combination of removing products and see which ones chips away at the residue best. Not always the most efficient job though.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
    We just purchased a 5th wheel trailer and the dealer had a stock# id sticker on the front cap and I am having a tough time getting it completely removed. I first tried peeling it off and managed to remove all the surface of the sticker, but getting the what I suspect is a combination of the adhesive and underside of the sticker has been painfully slow with little success. I first tried soaking it with hot soapy water, to no avail, then tried Goo Gone, a little more success but a slow painstaking process. I called the dealers service department to see what they might suggest and they suggested trying WD-40 which I did and it seemed to do nothing. I thought of mineral spirits, but afraid it might not be good for the paint. Any ideas?
    Hey Bruce!

Try 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover. Clearcoat safe, and works wonders on tough adhesives, tar, etc.

Cheers, and hope you guys and the pups are doing great!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Thanks Hermes1 thanked for this post
    Likes Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Use heat to remove the sticker, a hairdryer is the safest and a heat gun is the fastest but you have to be careful not to burn the paint.

Then use an adhesive remover to get the glue residue off. The one PaulMys mentioned is what I use, super effective. But any adhesive remover will do. So Tar-X, most orange degreasers, etc.

The 3M wheel is expensive and it's dangerous to use. I would not get that if I were you.

6. Thanks Hermes1 thanked for this post
    Likes Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Heat gun here, but beware. It works best with the sticker intact. When you get down to just the glue usually CarPro Tar-X is my go to.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post

The 3M wheel is expensive and it's dangerous to use. I would not get that if I were you.
    Theoretically any tool can be dangerous.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

You might have to get the VOC-compliant (a little more expensive) version if you're in California or other restrictive state (I am). But, this stuff works well. If this doesn't work then you don't have many other choices that would, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Hey Bruce!

Try 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover. Clearcoat safe, and works wonders on tough adhesives, tar, etc.

Cheers, and hope you guys and the pups are doing great!

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes that is true, but this one will go right through the paint and to the body if you make a mistake with it. It's not the sort of thing you want to put in untrained hands.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had pretty good luck with Goof Off. The trick is to soak a towel with it and let it dwell on the spot for a good 10-15 mins.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
    hair dryer and a plastic razor blade. Will melt and peel right off. Any solvent from there and then polish.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast