autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Just bought new travel trailer. How do I keep it new. Long lasting sealant?

I just picked up a brand new 34’ tt. It has a fiberglass exterior. I live in Florida and it is stored outdoors. I want to know what sealant or wax has a really high uv protection and one that I don’t have to reapply every other month.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just bought new travel trailer. How do I keep it new. Long lasting sealant?

I have been using Collinite 476 or 885 then Optimum Car Wax every few Months in Arizona. Will usually last a little over a year but I would re-apply at 9-10 months. A cover will greatly help.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Collinite...I applied Collinite 925 Fiberglass Boat Wax to our 5th wheel this yr and really like how nicely it went on, and how it beads any water as well as the shine it provides. Was using Meguiars product designed for fiberglass and gelcoats before that. The Collinite provides a much deeper and brighter shine. As davidc mentions, I also use Optimum Spray car wax after washes. Now, I am not subject to Florida or AZ sun like you guys are, but just thought I would give another plug for Collinite...I am sold on it. I got the idea from another RV'er on this forum, wasn't davidc though. Maybe he will spot this post and reply as well.

4. Likes davidc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was reading of a person on irv2.com that had hos 40-45 motor home coated and was bragging how easy it was to clean. To have it coated was $8k dollars.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I agree the collinites will last a while but are you prepared for applying that to a big trailer?

IMO the most important thing is regularly washing. If it were mine, I'd do one coat of 845 and then I'd wash every 2 or 3 months and hit it with OCW as I was drying it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yakky View Post
    I agree the collinites will last a while but are you prepared for applying that to a big trailer?

IMO the most important thing is regularly washing. If it were mine, I'd do one coat of 845 and then I'd wash every 2 or 3 months and hit it with OCW as I was drying it.
    Yeah, a DA for application makes it easier. Mine is 32' and approx. 960 square feet of real estate. I have been maintaining now for 16 years and at 65 I break it down to sections so I can live through the process. Being retired helps having to not do it all at once also.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Another product I use is Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax that has Car Wax In it applied with a Boars Hair brush then using a cheaper RV brush with a drying towel draped over it for drying. Both brushes use a painters pole to reach the 12' plus heights so no ladder required for the washes.

Dave

9. Thanks jmeyers278 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yakky View Post

I don’t mind doing it I just don’t want to have to wax or seal every 3 months. I would like something that has really good uv protection and lasts at least 6 months

Post Thanks / Like

These RV's appear daunting to do but really are not that bad. I apply the Collinite with a DA and it goes pretty quick. As davidc mentioned, this is a project that will take a couple or a few days depending on how you want to work. And with trailers you will have to split it up so as to always be working in the shade. The Optimum Spray Wax is one of those that has the UV inhibitors in the wax. That on top of the Collinite should allow you to get by for several months....I enjoy detailing, and doing the trailer is enjoyable, I don't view it as a chore, so long as I split it up over 2-3 days....mine is also 31 ft in length.
    I can tell you that with the wax on it, when it does need a wash after getting wet road grime on it, it cleans up real easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    I was reading of a person on irv2.com that had hos 40-45 motor home coated and was bragging how easy it was to clean. To have it coated was $8k dollars.

Dave
    OUCH!!!! I can but an awful lot of Collinite and OCW for that and pay myself a decent wage to apply it!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast