autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

3m Perfect-It GelCoat anyone using it?

Would like to discuss the 3m Perfect-It line of compound and polish. For my particular situation im not sure if its the best choice and i will try to explain why. The trailer is not heavily oxidized, and i want to finish with a ceramic coating like Qp-On 3.0.

Looking at the 3m line up both the medium and light compounds can be used as a 1 step. As they finish with a wax. So that means its not a good choice if im looking to coat the trailer with a ceramic sealant correct?

Now what about if i was to use the Heavy Compound, matched with a very very light cutting pad. The idea being i only have light oxidation, and dont want to cut aggressively, and the heavy compound does not leave behind a wax.

But then i guess the question becomes why use the 3m Perfect-Line at all..........if im only going to use the heavy compound and not follow up with their specific Perfect-It Wax. I feel like i want to use a more modern type of sealant instead of a wax. Both for durability and ease of application.

Or maybe some type of spray wax would be best. Apply to a wet trailer and wipe dry. That might be easier to wash and wax more often, instead of doing the ceramic coating once or twice a year. This trailer sits outside on dirt roads and is covered in dust within days. So for me its not about looking pretty its more about protecting the surface for years to come.

3M Gelcoat for Marine | 3M United States

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3m Perfect-It GelCoat anyone using it?

Quote Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
    But then i guess the question becomes
    why use the 3m Perfect-Line at all..........
    Perhaps Meguiar’s Marine Line has
    what you’re looking for? Worth a look:
    meguiars marine, meguiars mirror glaze marine, marine wax

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3m Perfect-It GelCoat anyone using it?

I used to work at a place that built fiberglass spray rigs. We used a rotary with 3m wool pads. Super duty compound followed by Perfect It. It was mostly always on new gel coat, but occasionally would restore old oxidized tanks. In my opinion, they worked okay, but now a days they are out dated compounds/polishes. If I were you, I’d check out Mikes forums on here for correcting boats and follow his suggestions. You’ll get much better results then using the 3M products.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app