autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

RV EDPM Rubber roof care

For those that either have an RV or detail RV's I have a little something to pass along that I learned this morning. I was on the roof sweeping and thought it was time for a good cleaning as I have been getting my fair share of Dandruff off the roof. In the past I have used Protectall roof cleaner then used their protectant. I have been using Optimum Wash and Wax on the vehicles and RV fiberglass hoping the built in Car Wax would help alleviate some of the work. I emailed Optimum asking if the OWW would be safe to use on the roof. The answer is "YES" and they also recommended using Protectant Plus for a protectant. I went to the roof with a terry cloth and a bottle of OWW in hand. It did do a good job even on the 2 year plus staining from the AC run off. This first time using OWW will be a little time intensive as the roof has not been cleaned in a long time but it does work very well. It did not remove but lessened the black spots that are limited on my roof and I know of no product that will remove those stains. I have owned a RV since 1999 so I do have experience in the upkeep and hopefully using OWW will help the maintaining easier. Thought I would pass this along.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RV EDPM Rubber roof care

Fellow RV owner myself...I would be more inclined to listen to what the manufacturer of your EPDM roof has to say rather than the manufacturer of the product you want to put on it. If it's an Alpha Systems roof than an email or a call to them may give reassurance that what Optimum is saying is accurate. At the price of those roofs and what it protects, you want to be sure... How does the Optimum work on the walls of the RV? Do you have a gelcoat finish? I am looking for a Spray and Wax I can apply to our 5th wheel between it's spring and fall full out waxing. McKee's RV line seems interesting but pricey.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RV EDPM Rubber roof care

Yeah, I know all to well with replacement of roof a minimum of 7k. Re-coating around 4k. The OWW and Car Wax work very well and they are used over Collinite 870, 925, 885 or 476 which happens once a year. When using the 870 for clean up it is followed by one of the non cleaning waxes then maintained with OWW washes or mixed as a QD. Car Wax is applied every 3-4 Months. I did try a test spot with OWW on the roof of the living room slide about 6 Months ago and have not touched it since. I just wanted Optimums take on the subject. The finish is known as filon which is not as smooth as a gelcoat finish.

Dave