autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heavily oxidated motorhome my first big job

Looks a great job so far. Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like

That's alot of work you have there.Looking good so far.Those bottoms are gonna eat you alive on time.Do you have dD151aio? .I would just go around it once you won't get swirling with gelcoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Gelcoat and foam pads don't mix together.The foam creates to much heat and dulls the finish back down again.Use wool and move on.Some of these dry Rv won't even accept a lsp. It will dry into the porous material or it will lesson the gloss.I would use rupes protective sealant liquid.

Post Thanks / Like

The job is definitely taking much longer then anticipated. At least i am learning a few lessons with my mistake in not looking as close as i should have at estimate time.

1. look closely over all the outside as i missed the fact that there was sap spots all over 3 sides of this thing that i have had to remove before anything else.

2. check the roof. This roof was a mess which added an extra hour to the wash.

3. Make sure test spot is partially on the decals. This has been one of the bigger pains as the decals have been really bad for gumming up my wool and smearing all over the white areas beside them. But after a long while of using a graffiti type remover on the smears i gave the CG Citrus wash a try with a scrub brush and it cleaned it beautifully at 3oz to 1gal of water.

Bottom line is that i should have payed closer attention and charged a bunch more the i did. But lesson learned and i am getting the outcome i had hoped for it is just taking a long time.

A few pics of how it is coming:

Mike Phillips

Looks great!

When doing large jobs like this you want a really good one-step cleaner/wax and a FLEX 3401 and lots of foam polishing pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, It is coming out how i would have hoped just taking longer than it should. I did start out with foam but they were getting filled up with gunk way to fast to get much done without changing them too often. The wool is much more forgiving and seems to work faster and also allows me to hit the pad with a spur after every few product applications to clear away the used product and oxidation on pad. For the final coat i am using Megs RV/Marine Cleaner wax with a white foam pad and it is going on and coming off very easily which is a nice break after how the cut is going on this unit.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting ready to do my first RV detail as well, and have found a lot of great information here. I already have the right tools from the auto side, and I have two questions: Do you extend out the sides and clean/polish those areas as well? And is the price per foot charged include that service?
    Thanks in advance!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12